Thread: Need help with removing branches.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Need help with removing branches.

G'day everyone,

I'm having some issues with removing a small bit of grass from this picture, and was hoping someone could offer me some pointers. The blade of grass runs from the bottom of the right handside in front of the bird then it goes in front of the where the wing feathers end on it's back and up towards the main plant that the bird is perched on.

What I am having issues with is trying to clone out the branch as it passes in front of the bird, and then cloning it out above the bird (the messy line is where the grass used to be, but as you can see it's the proverbial dog's breakfast).

I've tried using a very small clone brush, 6px's wide and tried cloning in small circles from both the left side and right side of the grass, but I can't seem to get the the colours to meld. I've also tried using a smudge tool over the area, but that hasn't made much of a difference either.

Regards,
    Mark

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Need help with removing branches.

Mark the best thing might be to post a larger original file for people to have a go at so they can show you? If you didn't mind of course?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

No worries, thanks Dave.

This image is cropped by approx 20% off the original.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This is what I do. I'm a photoshop novice and others will have more sophiticated ways - but I limit myself to simple techniques and promise myself to get it right in the camera next time. This is using your first image, applying the healing tool or spot healing tool (2 icons above the clone stamp on the left sidebar) to smooth out the hard lines left by the clone stamp.

To limit the healing tool and stop it smudging areas I dont want it to, I select around the perimeter of the area I want to modify using the polygonal lasso tool. I did this to stop the healing tool smudging the body of the bird.

You may want to do this on a separate layer and merge the two later.

I didnt put much effort into doing the body of the bird, I would spend a bit longer on this if it were my photo.

Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Arron, I didn't know about that spot healing brush, it worked a treat!

The finished product for those interested, which was done in Photoshop Elements v7.0

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sorry Mark! Forgot to check back on this thread mate! But it looks like you've done a great job anyway!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Dave.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Another tip is to use the clone tool in conjunction with the healing tool. Clone the grass out right where it's about to cross the birds body, then Switch to healing brush and clear out the grass in the BG. Do the same on the bird itself. Then go back and tidy up the clone tool work with the healing brush.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the tip Chris.