Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best lens for Bowra???

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Best lens for Bowra???

It's two weeks til I head off to Bowra. I'm just wondering what your opinions are for the best lens to take out of my 100-300 f5.6L, 300 f4L, 500 f4.5L ? Or should I take all three?
    The guys running the tour say to take everything but I see from Chris M's shots that most were done with a 600mm + extenders. Am I likely to use the shorter prime & zoom lenses at all?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I would always take all my lenses. I reckon you will mostly use the 500 but what if you drop it etc? I have the same back up philosophy that I have with computer stuff personally. Unless you have weight restrictions I wouldn't think twice about taking everything
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Take it all Tony, sounds like a great place for landscapes etc etc etc

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Possibly leave the 300 f4 at home since you have that focal length covered with your zoom.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Take what you can but I agree if you take the 100-300mm you won't need the 300mm(will you?).

I wish I took my 300/2.4 for quick shots from the car of Emus and the like.

Tony Hansford Guest

I am taking the 5d body as a backup to the 30d and also to try some more star trails with it. I thought the 100-300 would be a bit short on the 5d but the 300f4 +1.4 TC would be ok for trying BIF shots. Dunno really.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The stars were amazing out there!!

Well if you can you may as well take everything

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Rent a 600mm for the trip?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Long is better, though the 300mm f4 will have it's place, mainly for bird's in flight I would guess, you may be starting to get some wildflowers at that time?? could be useful for them.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Tony Hansford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Blyth View Post
    Rent a 600mm for the trip?
    I've only just recently got the 500mm so I'll stick with that for the immediate future until the 600's drop to under $2k. Even then I think a 500 f4IS would suit me more.
    I will take everything and if I use it great. And if not, no harm done I suppose. We are being chauffeured around out there so I guess I can leave stuff in the car and grab what I need as the need arises.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I would take them all! If I had to choose one I would go with the biggest for the wide open spaces out there but there are times when you will (if you're like me on my recent Bowra trip) bolt into the scrub chasing smaller birds like robins, thornbills, whitefaces etc and you will need a shorter (maybe) and lighter (definitely) hand-holdable lens. I had to take off my tele (only 400mm sadly) and use my 70-200 at 70mm to get in a whole herd of Emus at times and I used a 17-40 for landscapes but the 400 was light enough to be my everything else lens. I craved a longer lens on many occasions as there is a lot of space out there. A hide would be a very good accessory too for shooting near the lagoon etc. If you are going on the Trekabout Tour, maybe they will be supplying things like that? Good luck. It's a fabulous location.

Tony Hansford Guest

Thanks PeterB. You have convinced me to take the lot. We got an email today from Michael Snedic about what gear to take. He recommends a tripod and a monopod plus 300mm & longer lenses. I'm going to have a lot of stuff with tripod, monopod and 2 tamrac backpacks. My wimberely sidekick began its journey from USA today. The USPS website says 3 to 5 days to Australia. That's cutting it fine but I am hoping it arrives before we leave for Bowra next week.

The itinerary mentions hides etc. I'm hoping we get to use some rather than it just being a theory session.

I tracked Bowra down on google earth today. Man it looks barren out there apart from the homestead area.

Tony Hansford Guest

The sidekick arrived today. I tried the 500mm on it out on the deck. My brother reckons if I don't get some good happy snaps on the Bowra trip then it's not the fault of the equipment

Tony Hansford Guest

After going to Bowra and photographing for a week, I have a whole new appreciation and understanding of just how hard it is to get a great shot of a small bird and how talented you lot must be to get the shots you post here.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

And were you happy with your choice to take all of your kit??