Thread: Video editing programs

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Video editing programs

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but I'd like to ask, does anyone use a simple to use video editing program which will run on a MAC for use with the output from a Canon 5D?

Tony Hansford Guest

I used EditDV back when I did amateur mountain bike videos. EditDV was bought by the makers of Autocad and they canned it. Then I used to use Final Cut Pro for a while. I tried iMovie but I hated it.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Have you tried the Canon website Sonja? They may have a free to download piece of software to suit you. Did the camera not come with some form of program in the bundled software?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the responses. We do have a couple of programs, but was just wondering what other people used.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I thought the iMovie that came with the Mac was supposed to be pretty good, you may need to decompress it before the Mac can edit it though. The Canon software should do that??
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You can edit from the 5D in iMovie. It's great to a point. Depends on how serious you want to get. The new Final Cut Pro X (whilst copping a hammering from full on pro video editors) is very good for the money. Now alot cheaper from the Mac App Store (not the one in itunes). I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet. i have also produced a decent audio visual in the latest imovie.
    What have you tried?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi This happens to be right up my alley, Sonja. In the past I've used Final Cut Pro exclusively on the Mac. I've also played around with iMovie which I've always found lacking coz I'm quite familiar with FCP. Because of the business nature of Apple and Macintosh, there's not a lot out there of any quality or worth to compete with these two programmes. I've recently taken my studio (video and photographic) OpenSource which you can do as well if it's really important to you - just download one of the many Linux versions that will run on your Mac/s and then you can use programmes such as Kdenlive (pretty good but basic) and Lives (not basic and weird) and a few other notables.

All the codecs you will need to decode the Canon DSLR video output will be present in your OSX/Quicktime version on the Mac, but to be absolutely sure, download and install Perian to your System Preferences. Hope this helps some

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Dave and Alan,

I haven't done any video (or movie) before having this camera, and am very non technical. I've had a bit of a try in imovie, but I guess I need to try to get a half day and just sit down and learn the terms and what does what. It would be good if there was a class to go to to get the basics. My husband has Final Cut Pro but hasn't had time to spend on it either, and seemed to be more interested in the sound part when he was playing about with it. One of the main reasons for trying to learn at least the basics is that our holiday this year is a trip to Macquarie Island in November, somewhere we're not likely to go to again, and I'd like to make the most of it. I like to think that video will grow in importance for birders as we can learn more about behaviour from it, and for getting children/young people interested, presentations need to compete with action!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sonja the only way to learn any program is to sit down and keep playing. If you don't use it every day or at least regularly then you will forget everything very quickly. I used to use Final Cut Pro and got to know it reasonably well some years ago when i was working on a couple of projects but then didn't use it for a long time and have forgotten pretty much everything! That's why i was happy to buy the latest version of FCP so i can just start again.
    A couple of quick tips when shooting - don't forget to set the camera to manual and set the shutter speed to 1/50th sec. Using a faster SS will of course "work" but to get a nice cinematic look you really need to only shoot at that setting. This can be problematic in bright sun if you want to use a wide aperture which is why people often buy Neutral Density filters. Also buying an external microphone will be a massive improvement in sound quality over the inbuilt mic. Hope that helps
    I agree that video is becoming a bigger thing in alot of areas and the "fusion" of the two is set to increase dramatically over the next few years.
    Cheers, Dave

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

10. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Sonja (19-07-2011)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for all that, Dave. I don't think flight shots would be possible at that speed, nor penguins porpoising (having a spelling blank) but will try to keep it in mind for more static situations. If the weather improves a bit for my next days off, I'll try to get out to Werribee and have a practice and have a go at doing some editing afterwards.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Sonja. You need to think differently when shooting video than you do stills. If you are shooting video you need to set the shutter speed to 1/50th regardless of what the action is. yes if you were to pause an individual frame it would probably show some blur but this is the point and the thing that gives you the nice cinematic look. Remember that the camera is capturing effectively 25 frames per second when videoing and not looking at one frame at a time.
    It is one of the reasons it is very tricky to shoot video and stills at the same time. You really need to focus on one or the other or you end up with bad versions of both. (well i do anyway )
    Remember also that you really must shoot on a tripod with video. Jerky hand movements just don't cut it.
    Cheers, Dave

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just a quick addition regarding handheld - Steadicam! Here's a clip shot with a handheld HDSLR and a wide Sigma zoomer all mounted on a <$300 Flycam Nano mount. Awesome piece of kit, great effects, I highly recommend it. You could probably even make one yourself from an old tripod/monopod.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Not bad Alan!
    A mate of mine does amazing wedding cinematography and uses a Glide-cam. A bit more expensive but i think the result is a bit better. I'm thinking of getting something along these lines. That Flycam does seem good for the money though!
    http://www.untitledfilms.com.au/couples/tina-kris
    Cheers, Dave

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I know, right?! I'm from the short-film-for-festival end of the creative spectrum and I've always gone for the dolly, sometimes at great expenditure of time and expense to get a good run. I've always avoided the steadicams because they're so freakin expensive and you really need an experienced operator to get the most out of them, but no more. This little fella's big brother (heavier payload ability and only about $100 extra) is in my letter to Santa now

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks very much to you both. I think I need to go with just my tripod to start with though, Alan, as I'm starting from scratch in the knowledge department. The clip is impressive though. There was an interesting one on Birding-Aus showing hang-gliders in Nepal, I think it was, being guided by, and then feeding some sort of raptor - must have been amazing!