Thread: CS5 Help

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default CS5 Help

I installed CS5 on my new Mac a few days ago and just realised I haven't adjusted my RAW settings i.e. sRGB etc. So my few post from this week have been in Adobe RBG

Should I change to 16 Bits/channel or leave it at 8 Bits?

I have limited(NO) understanding of this mumbo jumbo

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Not sure what you mean adjust settings? When you shoot raw, to the best of my knowledge you have the option of opening the files as 8-bit or 16-bit files through ACR and you can change the color space via the EDIT menu. Here is where I always leave mine on the 16-bit setting. Much more colors available or something like that. Now, when you save for web is when you need to change to sRGB.

Unless you mean to leave the color space setting on the 1D as Adobe.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I'm only presuming the interface is the same on Mac as on PC, but at the bottom of ACR there is a line which you can click on to change your colour space and PPI settings. It also pays to check the reported MP is correct as I've found it is often wrong when first installed, just change this setting to match your camera's MP. Set the colour space to whatever you wish to work in and/or what best matches what your monitor's capable of displaying. Seems little point to me to be working in AdobeRGB for example if your monitor can't display all or close to all of the AdobeRGB gamut.

It's up to you if you choose 8 or 16bit, 8 bit is fine for sRGB and if you're outputting to JPG, where as if you're working in a colour space with a wider gamut and outputting to TIFF/PSD and high-end printers, you're best off utilising 16bit. Bit Depth info HERE and some info on sRGB vs AdobeRGB HERE. Personally I work completely in the sRGB colour space as it matches 90% of what my target output will be, so it simplifies my workflow a great deal as there's no converting images between bit depths and colour spaces needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACR.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	10594

You also need to set the working colour space in CS5 itself. On PC this is under the menu, Edit > Color Settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colour Settings.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	10595

Keep in mind that if you work in AdobeRGB/16 bit you need to convert the image down to 8bit and output the image to the sRGB colour space for web display. I should also add it makes no difference what colour space setting you set in-camera as this only applies if you shoot JPG and the JPG thumbnails that are created. No colour spaces are assigned to RAW files, they're colour space independent if you like.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Akos Yeah I meant ACR settings.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Richard. You answered my question and more. Thank you very much

I believe MAC and PC are essentially the same by the way.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I didn't want to do too much too soon, in case. Plus I was at work and my company does not want me to have photoshop for some strange reason.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

No PS!! What are they thinking!!!!!