Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you canon guys find dealing with canon

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default How do you canon guys find dealing with canon

Hi I am needing find out how you guys find it best to communicate with canon. I need from canon some informed info about my canon G10 and 11 and am not getting a fast response.

I am use to dealing with CR Kennedy with my pentax gear. I phone, I get put through, I talk to a camera tech, solution, information provided.

canon I phone, go through menu get put through eventually (maybe India) get told person can't help but her supervisor will ring back (well not yet)
    Email using their forms but there is no way of telling it was sent.

I can't believe the issue with the 2 canons. Over time both their lenses have become very scratched. According to blogs lots of people are having the problem. It seems the blind that closes to protect the lens is actually scratching it. It is not worth while fixing as I figure the new lenses will get scratched in no time. I will probably only use the G10 for underwater as I have a housing. The G11 will probably be ditched. If canon can guarantee the G12 does not have the same problem I will need to buy that one as it is the only good/(operates like a real camera) compact camera with a swivel screen.

happy about any advice on alternative compact with swivel screen that will be great on small wildflowers. I prefer less pixels.
    Last edited by Bob Winters; 22-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Never had to deal with them and I hope I never do (touch wood) so I am no help to you Bob. Whats the advantage of the swivel screen? Would live view on the newer Canon DSLRs be of help to you?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Paul

It's a camera for Dianne's use. I have plenty of slrs and some gorgeous small lenses however.
    1. Hernia means she can't bend over to get her wildflowers
    2. Arthritis means she can't hold onto a bulky slr
    3. she doesn't like slrs
    4. I use her photos and video for my education projects so scratched lens is a problem when the sun shines on the lens

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ahhh, makes a lot of sense now

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I used to use a Panasonic lumix point and shoot with a good swivel LCD screen that would take great macros too. It was the DMC FZ30 but I think it has been upgraded a fair bit now...not sure of the model name. Not sure how it compares to Canons offerings.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

That's great. I still have my Lumix FZ30. While I got some great photos with it the amount of noise was crazy. Lumix has an excellent lx5 10 megapixel and a brilliant lens, but no swivel screen. The really nice feature with the canon g series is they are designed like cameras and not mobile phone. Thanks for the idea, I will look into some of the other lumix options. keep the ideas coming.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Slightly off topic, but that's probably the main thing I miss about my Olympus gear - the swivel screen. Comes in handy so often, and is great for framing up difficult shots (think low to the ground etc).

Tony Hansford Guest

Try posting a question on the discussion board on the Canon Australia Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/CanonAustral...app_2373072738
    I did this for my second issue (below) and they responded with instructions to contact their service people.

Apart from that, I have only had two real dealings with Canon, both of them for lenses.

First time, when my ef100-300 zoom stopped autofocusing it took Canon more than 3 months to fix it; they reckoned parts had to come from Japan. But this would have been probably 20 years ago or more now.

Second time was with my latest purchase; my 500mm lens wouldn't manually focus. I took it to a Canon Professional Service agent here in Brisbane. It was supposed to take about 10 working days but Easter was in the middle so it took a bit longer. You can read all about it in my introduction thread http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...-from-Brisbane Going to the authorized service agent was a far better result for me even though there was nothing wrong with the lens in the first place. Canon sorted it out, cleaned it and wrote me instructions about how to solve my problem.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tony Hansford; 22-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

My daughter has an S3IS Canon super zoom compact which has given good service, quite a good wildflower camera and it also worked well with the accessory diopter for closeups of smaller flowers. The SX30IS is the current iteration.

Are your G10/11 still under warranty? If so I'd be looking at taking them back and asking them to fix the cover as well as the lens, it seems to be a tolerance issue based on the blogs.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Canon in Sydney have been fine for me so far with two issues as far as communication, turnaround and general customer service are concerned. Except the latest issue will see me having to upgrade from my 30D.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get some help to use facebook. It looks useful. I didn't get a return call from canon or an answer to my emails which I am not sure were sent. Both cameras out of warranty. I was blaming ourselves for the scratches until I started investigating repairs. I will look into the S3IS Canon. I will let you know whenever I get a response.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Try this e-mail.

cameraservice@canon.com.au

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I revoke my comment. Paid for a quote and return of camera on Monday (27/06) and still have no trace of it, no card's been charged, no parcel came back. Considering the damn thing has to come a few suburbs from North Ryde to Rydalmere, this delay is quite pathetic. Next time I may send it to Canon USA as I am sure they are faster there with postal times included. LOL!!!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

My experience with Canon service has been two shutter replacements one a 40d the other my 1DMKIIn which I still own because of this, both these repairs hurt as in the pocket
    Found that they were very prompt and helpful. must be me pushing the shutter button to hard or something or I could just be unlucky with shutters.....

Mike

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Canon have been pretty good to me *knock wood*

I'm a CPS member in the UK, so have my own contact who's pretty helpful. Also I get quick turnaround time for repairs plus free loaners in the interim.

In Australia, Canon are about a 15-20 minute drive away. I went there once when my 500 was slightly damaged in the hold of a plane. They repaired it within 10 minutes, for free, and gave my Mk IV a free sensor clean No complaint here!