Thread: Flash white eye

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Flash white eye

Can anybody tell me how to stop flash white eye I have lightroom 3 and i am only learning to use it all advice welcome.
    comments and reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

"Flash eye" or "steel" eye can be remedied by using an off camera flash on a side bracket so the flash comes from a differing angle to the lens angle (let me know if you want a better explanation of that). Using the on camera flash will sometimes make red eye and steel eye more prominent. I normally use photoshop to remedy the problem as I don't have a side bracket for my flash. If you would like a demonstration on my technique then post one of your flash eyed images

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I would try to select the flashed pupil, copy onto a new layer (CTRL+J in Photoshop), desaturate this copied layer, then darken (usually needs some darkening) with the burn tool. The careful selection of the flashed pupil is the most important thing. Hope this helps.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ross Lightroom is OK at reducing red-eye/steel-eye but not perfect. With steel-eye LR won't usually recognise it when you use the red-eye tool. So you might need to use the Adjustment Brush with a small brush at -1 at least
    In case you are not familiar with the red-eye tool i have a few screenshots for you which may help?
    1st image shows red-eye and the tool that you need. Note you need to be in the Develop mode of course. dragging the cursor out to the size that you need to get it to recognise the eye. Note that you need to drag it to the size of the entire eye - not just the red pupil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 6.29.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	9858

2nd image shows the auto retouched pupil size is too big. You can grab the edge of the white circle to resize manually or move the entire circle to get it centred properly

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 6.29.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	9859

3rd image - or you can use the sliders to resize the pupil and also control the darkness. Hope this helps anyway

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 6.30.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	9860
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

5. The following 4 users say thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Adam Blyth (16-08-2011), Ákos Lumnitzer (14-06-2011), George Pergaminelis (16-08-2011), Michaela Newman (16-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Good one Dave, I've seen this in LR, but since I don't usually use it I never knew really. Why were you shooting at night with ISO1000????

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Good one Dave, I've seen this in LR, but since I don't usually use it I never knew really. Why were you shooting at night with ISO1000????
    Thanks Akos. I love Lightroom. Don't do much in PS at all these days.
    ..why wouldn't i shoot at 1000ISO? As you can see i was able to have an ok shutter speed at f8 with the exposure spot on.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hope you get to see this David, like to say thanks for the advice.Rosco.
    comments and reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    Thanks Akos. I love Lightroom. Don't do much in PS at all these days.
    ..why wouldn't i shoot at 1000ISO? As you can see i was able to have an ok shutter speed at f8 with the exposure spot on.
    Yes but the BG in this shot looks like it is flash illuminated, 1/160 @ f8 and ISO1000 would give a pitch black frame even on a full moon night, try taking a shot in your living room (normal lighting on) at night at that setting. Shutter speed doesn't matter at night. In which case you'd get exactly the same result at ISO200.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

10. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Adam Blyth (16-08-2011)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss View Post
    Yes but the BG in this shot looks like it is flash illuminated, 1/160 @ f8 and ISO1000 would give a pitch black frame even on a full moon night, try taking a shot in your living room (normal lighting on) at night at that setting. Shutter speed doesn't matter at night. In which case you'd get exactly the same result at ISO200.
    Ditto re: shutter speed using flash as main light at night. I don't mind the BG at all and it will show up when relatively close to the subject, like in this case. I don't always want to have black BGs.