Thread: Lens cleaning

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Lens cleaning

My Canon 500mm has now got quite a bit of dust and some water speck marks on the front lens and I was wondering how people clean their lenses. I was tempted to use a spectacle lens cleaning wipe but I am a little wary, not wanting to do any damage. As I live in the country I would probably have to order over the net and have any product posted to me.

Also it would be ideal to have some front cover rather than the useless leather bag supplied with the lens; I may raid my wife's Tupperware lid supply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Peter

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Lens cleaning

This will help the lens cap issue Peter. http://www.kirkphoto.com/AquaTech_Soft_ ... S_USM.html
    Dave Stowe uses one and loves it. As for the lens element cleaning, try looking around for a "lens pen". They are good for cleaning lens

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Lens cleaning

Those AquaTech soft caps are fabulous. I got one for my lens after seeing Dave's.

This will not help protect the glass against scratches etc but often in Africa I place a shower cap over the front of the lens. I do have some lens cleaning fluid which I bought online and use it most often after I've been taking images on the beach. Just a few drops on a lens cleaning tissue, wipe the glass and your done.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It's hard to hurt your lens Peter, but you just need to be a little careful. First step is a blower to remove any dust or hard particles that might cause a scratch. Any stubborn particles visible, might need to be gently brushed to get them to move, you need a clean soft bristle brush for this optional step. Go over the lens surface fully blowing as you go, a large blower bulb works bets as you get a good flow. Next take a microfibre cloth and wipe carefully over the entire surface. The cloth picks up all dirt quite easily. You need to keep the cloth in a clean place and shake it it out before and after use. You will only need lens fluid if you have quite oily residue on your lens.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My method sounds almost identical to Chris's.

I use the following process:

1. First I use a blower to remove dust etc.
    2. I then use a brush to remove the more stubborn dirt. It is critical after this stage that there is no material on the lens that could scratch it where applying pressure with a cloth.
    3. I use my breath to apply moisture to the lens surface.
    4. A micro fibre cloth is used to rub the lens surface clean, Applying pressure in a circular motion.
    5. If after this process I have smears that will not easily remove. I use a Nikon lens wipe that is impregnated with a cleaning solution. You can buy all sorts of lens cleaning solutions and wipes, just make sure they are approved for your lens.