Thread: Teleconverter question

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Teleconverter question

G'day everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice with trying to work out if purchasing a 1.4 teleconverter is going to be a good purchase for what I currently have. My current setup is a Canon 400D with a Canon 70-300mm IS lense.
    My reason for looking at a teleconverter is that I would like to get some extra reach. (Ideally I would love to get a 100-400mm IS lense, but that's not going to happen until April next year).

And are there any pitfalls with using a teleconverter? Will I loose detail in the image, which is a concern as my lense when @ 300mm does make the subject a bit soft.

Will it have an effect on how much light reaches the sensor? Which is also a concern due to the limitations of my camera, because I usually use ISO 100 except for when in really strong light, then I'll use 200, but generally not more than that unless I just want an ID shot.
    Are some teleconverters better than others to use? Which one should I use, or stay away from?

Regards,
    Mark

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Teleconverter question

Hi Mark,
    You will lose AF and also one stop of light. If your maximum aperture on your current lens is f5.6, adding a TC will make it f8.
    To be honest i would save your money and put it towards a better lens. If your lens is a bit soft now, adding a TC will only add to the deterioration of the image. On a good lens you often don't notice a drop in quality but its certainly not going to improve an already soft one.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for that Dave, I certainly dont want to fork out money when it'll only exasberate things.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I have a friend back in Turkey, who always uses at least one 1.4x with 1dM2 and 500F4 and he has some amazing shots with two 1.4x plus 2x which makes the focal length 1960mm. Sounds amazing but he is the only exception who is happy with TC's that I know.

If you are using a standard lens which is not less than F5,6 and a non 1D body than it is just waste of money and time. I tried 1.4 for quite a long time but I don't want to remember the chances that I missed because of slow AF and crappy photo quality.

I agree with Dave. It is better to keep the money for a better lens.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I agree don't splash out on the 1.4x just yet, they magnify defects even better than they do the image, so you need a top notch lens to start with. While we're on that I'd suggest looking at a 300mm f4 plus 1.4x or a 400mm f5.6 over the 100-400mm. I've had similar zooms before and found I was at max zoom 99.9% of the time. Depends on what else you want to do with your lens, but if it's primarly birds, the prime lenses are a better bet IMO.

I actually picked up my 300mm f4L IS off Ebay for $1200 (incl post) in as new condition, bargains can be had there but you need to pick your target, some of them set the starting price quite high. Also got the 1.4x for $380, but bidding competition can be quite stiff there. I've seen about 8 or 10 300 f4s and 2 or 3 400mm f5.6s on there while I was looking for my lenses.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the info Chris. The main restriction on what sort of lense I'll purchase will be funds. At the moment it's looking $1600 will be the limit.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well you've got a fighting chance of picking up something like those I mentioned of Ebay, the 100-400 seem to attract more attention from my brief forays there.

Right now there is a 300mm f4 going for $1000 min bid, 1300 buy it now and two 100-400s currently at 1085 and 1053 with quite a few bidders.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages