Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 v 600

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Default 500 v 600

Stupid question.

I've used both before. I know the difference. What would you recommend. I am in the process of buying either ASAP. Not interested in the MkII Canons though, just too much money. I personally like the portability of the 500/4L IS, but would often crave for the extra 100mm of the 600/4L IS. So which one? Thanks for any opinions.

FYI, I CANNOT buy both!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: 500 v 600

600 if you're specifically into birds, 500 if you want a bit more flexibility (birds and other animals). 600 is a bit too much for a lot of wildlife if you have decent fieldcraft (and I know you do).
    For smaller birds (like my friendly Azure Kingfisher), a 1.4 lives on my 500. For my neighbourhood eagles, either naked or with 1.4. Every other animal (I shoot other animals more than birds), 500 on its own.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I think I just decided on the 500 and a 1D body. As much as I am a strong guy, I still prefer the lightness and ease of the 500. Thanks Adam.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Akos, haven't heard from you for a while!

I would be tempted to go for the 500, if you had the money, the 600 MK II would be a no-brainer being close to the weight of the current 500. My 1.4x is almost permanently stuck on my 500, but I know that it would be stuck on the 600 also if I had that lense as I can never have enough focal length with a lot of the birds up here. I get a bit stiff and sore after carrying the 500 around for a while, so the 600 would only be reserved for shorter or sitting in the car! The 500 gives you the extra option of doing a bit of handholding; whereas you'd be struggling a lot more with the 600; the latter obviously being cheaper as well. The 600 Mk II looks very inviting (winning lotto would have to be on the cards, though!)
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer
    I think I just decided on the 500 and a 1D body. As much as I am a strong guy, I still prefer the lightness and ease of the 500. Thanks Adam.
    Excellent combo

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer
    I am in the process of buying either ASAP.
    Did you get permission from a certain someone,or are you doing this behind her back

Great to see you posting again Akos! I reckon the 500 would be the better bet, just on the basis of weight, personally.

Cheers,
    Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Haha Ashwin, you funny fellow! I had to buy ASAP so she does not change her mind. As a matter of fact, I just had a notice from E-bay that I need to pay as the seller accepted my offer. I was not really willing to pay $6,500, but in the end new from Canon here would be just over 8,000 so it's not bad. Let's hope that from Alice Springs it is not going to take a month on a camel's back.

Don't know if you can see this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Exciting Akos - youve bought now but this guys review might still be of interest if you havent seen it already

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... s600.shtml

cheers

David taylor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Nice one Akos, great minds must think alike! Im sure you'll be happy with the 500, though the 600 will give significantly bigger images for small birds, If you really need it slap your 2x on and stop down to f11. Funny I've been watching Ebay and this item did not show up on my filtered view for some reason.

Which 1D body are you going for?
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Awesome Akos!!
    Well done mate - you won't regret it.
    Hey i checked my low foot and it doesn't seem to have a brand on it but i think it was by 4thGD (people who make the Mongoose).
    Also my newest favourite bit of gear is an Aquatech rubber lens cap. Basically a rubber plug. So no need for that stupid leather hood that canon provides and dead simple. LOVE it. Buy one for sure. I never used to take the big black leather thing in the bush but would often get crap in my lens. This saves it heaps.
    http://www.kirkphoto.com/AquaTech_Soft_ ... S_USM.html
    (I don't know who the seller is - just the first google result i came up with to show you a pic of it )
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe
    Also my newest favourite bit of gear is an Aquatech rubber lens cap. Basically a rubber plug.
    (I don't know who the seller is - just the first google result i came up with to show you a pic of it )
    Akos,

I have the guys email for the Aquatech rubber lens cap. Let me know if you want it. Just to reiterate what Dave said, They are fantastic!
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Tony Hansford Guest

I'm a big fan of Luminous Landscape. I've bought all their Video Journals that are relevant to 35mm/digital SLR and all their Art Wolfe travels dvds. And their product reviews are some of the most helpful out there because they actually use the equipment they test.

Tony Hansford Guest

Did you get your lens yet Akos?

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hansford View Post
    Did you get your lens yet Akos?
    Absolutely mate. All perfect, except he originally sent the drop-in polarizer by accident so no wonder I couldn't get good shutter speeds. He finally got the clear one to me by Tuesday and it made a world of difference. An awesome piece of glass. If you look in the bird images forums, my most recent four or so images are with the lens. cheers.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ákos, why are you using a clear filter? Is there some benefit I don't know about?