Thread: Portable backup solutions???

Tony Hansford Guest

Default Portable backup solutions???

I'm just wondering what you people use for backing up your image cards when you are on the road / on holidays etc?
    I figure I have 3 choices:
    1. a laptop or macbook
    2. a netbook
    3. a PSD thingy, one of those battery powered hard drives with inbuilt card reader slots.

I'm leaning towards either a new netbook or a used macbook. My only experience with the PSD was at Rally Queensland one year when a guy I knew had one fail and he lost a day's worth or images.

Any comments you have would be really helpful. Thanks.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Portable backup solutions???

If you are downloading the card and reformatting the card and only having a single copy, it is not if but when you will lose some images, HDDs in laptops can and do fail, get a laptop/netbook and also get a USB powered portable HDD like the Western Digital Elements or passport and backup a second copy there. They are practically giving them away these days, like this one:

http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/comp ... rive-320gb

$38 for a 320 GB drive can't be beat and the WD drives have a good reputation.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What the best? Depends how much money you can spend.
    As I am retired and travel a lot in our caravan, chasing birds, I use a Toshiba Laptop and Telstra Bigpond Wireless and found that I can get coverage all over the place.
    Each day I download onto the Toshiba, then check out the images then I clear the card if all ok.
    I also carry a portable drive and back up to this each week.
    This method,also, allows me to post that special shot to this site, when I am out and about.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I do exactly the same as Chris has mentioned. When I'm on a trip I use a netbook to store my initial backup then immediately copy it all onto an external 2.5" USB HDD.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What everyone else said. A 500GB Western Digital HD can be had for $65 at any of the large stores - a steal. Likewise for netbooks. Low $300s should buy you a reasonable one and is cheap insurance.

Would any of our IT experts on the forums have a recommended brand for a netbook?
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Tony Hansford Guest

Thanks for the useful advice. It sort of confirms what I reckoned would be the best and cheapest option for me, which is the Netbook and usb pocket HDD. A new Macbook is too dear and a used one is too unpredictable. Officeworks have an MSI netbook for $249 which I am going to get tomorrow night. The only things I need are the usb ports and a decent battery life, oh and whether I can install Macdrive 8.0 so it recognises my Mac formatted usb drives. Macdrive lets you use OSX formatted drives on a pc.

Chris, I have a couple of Seagate drives and a couple of WD drives and so far they have all been good. But I bought a Seagate Media Player and it's crap. It keeps rebooting during playback. So just on it's performance alone I will buy the WD drives for the image backups

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'd definitely go WD, Seagate/Maxtor don't seem to have a great reputation for reliability.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Tony Hansford Guest

Hi Chris & everyone.

I bought the MSI Netbook and Western Digital 500GB pocket drive. I formatted the WD drive with my iMac and loaded Macdrive 8 onto the Netbook and it works great. I'll be loading CS5 tonight so I can use Bridge for the backing up process. Next will be to see how long the battery lasts... it says it's super long lasting but a guy on Whirlpool forums reckoned his only lasted 2 & a bit hours.

cheers,
    Tony