Thread: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 14/5/11 "PHOTOSHOP FREAKOUT #2"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 14/5/11 "PHOTOSHOP FREAKOUT #2"

We had this theme last year and it was a good excuse to go crazy in photoshop and see what we all came up with. Have a play with the colours, add a few filters...try something you haven't before perhaps. Let us know what you've done and how you've done it
    If you don't have photoshop then have a go at playing with the colours, levels and contrast on your preferred program.

Here is a composite image I made just the other day. I was walking in Woodlands Park near Melbourne airport and noticed this perfect hollow and thought I'd take a shot of it to have a play with later. Funnily enough, the next day I was notified of a Barn Owl at a friends warehouse and knew I'd found the perfect "digital" inhabitant of my crosstown hollow.

I very quickly used the lasso tool to cut the owl out of the original image where it was roosting in the corner of the warehouse and then pasted it onto the image of the hollow. I changed the layer with the owl so it was at 50% opacity (so I could place the bird exactly where I wanted it and still see the layer underneath) and then simply erased away the edges around the outline of the owl. I had to take note of the light angle on the hollow/tree and then burnt in (darkened) the parts of the owl that would have been affected by the light direction.

Eastern Barn Owl
    ****Digitally altered image****
    [attachment=0:1uf9h58t]20110510_0551.JPG[/attachment:1uf9h58t]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 14/5/11 "PHOTOSHOP FREAKOUT #2"

Ive always wanted a good shot of a group of huddled Woodswallows on a line - Ive seen some beauties over the years but never managed a good one myself - so in light of this weeks theme Ive cheated to prodiuce this image in Photoshop - it is actually 4 individual images I had taken - some of the same bird - taken at Cunnamulla in far western Queensland - each of the four birds were deep etched by carefully selectting the edges principally using the lassoo tool at very high magnification ( 800-1600 times magnification) - the subject is then inversed and the existing BG removed and then each bird copied to a new doc. . This new blank doc is created and four layers produced for each of the four birds - these then carefully imposed over each other to create the four birds together. Then a background created and a new layer for that - some final touch up work on the edges of the four birds using a small blur tool at very low strength ( circa 10%) - then all layers merged and the image flattened, sharpened, tonal adjustment and a rotation to straighten the image - and there is my group of Woodswallows!!!

cheers

David Taylor
    Brisbane

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Welcome swallow. One bird, three consecutive frames blended together.
    [attachment=0:rauprupv]welcome-swallow-flight101014_2593-copy.jpg[/attachment:rauprupv]
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

4. Default Re: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 14/5/11 "PHOTOSHOP FREAKOUT #2"

Lake Copeton NSW taken in Nov 2010. Two shots merged, I think the bird is a Little eagle, would appreciate a positive identification.

[attachment=0:3fazumq6]Little Eagle.jpg[/attachment:3fazumq6]
    Steven Shaw

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This is my first go at something like this in photoshop. A blend of May day sunrise and black-shouldered Kite. I added some red to the tail to try and make the blend more plausible. Not sure it worked but did have some fun doing it.

regards Geoff
    Geoff Walker
    www.bushpea.com
    Life List 508 photographed, 512 seen
    Latest bird - Painted Honeyeater

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I attended a weekend workshop a couple of months ago on photoshop and I went home and practised on my Osprey.

I cut this juvenile out and blurred an image of a fire behind our property and put the juvenile osprey layer in. Don't know why I chose that background, but I did.