Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera & Lens Cases

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Camera & Lens Cases

What do you guys use to store all you camera gear in when you go away or are out in the field?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Camera & Lens Cases

I got an old brief case from the Op shop. I cut a piece of 2 inch foam to suit, I then marked out the shape of the camera and lens's etc ,cut out the shapes and then glued it in . I then cut a piece to suit the lid and glued that in...Works like a bought one.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I like it, Ray! Probably less likely to get pinched too, than some flash new hard case!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

No hardcase for me, just a LowePro bag. They have all sorts of sizes to choose from and the velcro inserts will help to customise it.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I use a lowepo back pack when I am going to mostly use my telephoto - easy to carry, but not the safest way to change around gear.
    If I need to swap my gear around or I am flying I now use a joirnalist style top loading over the shoulder bag - safer for your gear but will kill your back after a few days in the field.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I was considering the Lowepro Dryzone 200, as most of my shooting is either based from my home or access via vehicle / boat, so I'm not really looking for a solution for hiking based photography. Anyone here had any experience with the Dryzone? I like the idea of being able to safely store my gear in a water-tight bag should the heavens open up or keep the dust out as I'm 4WDing in certain areas. From the reviews I've read. people either love them or hate them. The later opinion usually refers to the water-tight zip breaking.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW for when I'm out in the field and want to travel light. I store all my gear in a Lowepro Flipside 400, which I can also take out if I want to take more gear.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

When I'm travelling, the 500 f/4 goes into a Storm im2500 Hardcase, with foam inserts

Other camera gear gets stored in a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW

At home, basic setup is the same, and sundries (liek filters, blowers, etc) gets stored in a Lowepro Nova (actually an earlier version of this bag.. much much earlier!).

Lenses and cameras I rarely use get stored in a Crumpler Match Maker, which is not a very good bag at all... anyone want to buy it from me?

The 300 2.8 IS gets stored in it's own case that it came with. Which looks like a big make-up bag :roll:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Johnston
    I was considering the Lowepro Dryzone 200, as most of my shooting is either based from my home or access via vehicle / boat, so I'm not really looking for a solution for hiking based photography. Anyone here had any experience with the Dryzone? I like the idea of being able to safely store my gear in a water-tight bag should the heavens open up or keep the dust out as I'm 4WDing in certain areas. From the reviews I've read. people either love them or hate them. The later opinion usually refers to the water-tight zip breaking.
    The concept is awesome, and I'd love to try one out.

That said, my g/f and I spent 6 months backpacking around South America two years ago. I took a bit of camera gear (5D, 40D, 100-400 17-40, 24-105, + filters) and carried it all in a Lowepro Orion Trekker II which I got free from a magazine subscription.
    As you can imagine, in 6 months covering half of the continent, we encountered a variety of weather types, and except for one massive intense downpour, my gear always stayed dry.

So is a fully waterproof bag essential? Probably not. It does give you added security though, but if you're careful with your bag, you'll be fine with most bags on the market.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree totally with you Adam... I'm sure I can cope with something a lot less sophisticated. I like the idea of a sling for the field and I can easily fashion a hard case with foam inserts for long haul travel. Thanks guys for your feedback!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Mark the thing that kills me with the dryzone bag (don't own one but know someone with one) is that the zippers are so hard to open and close - very tedious. Although depends on how much you want the waterproof functionality of course.
    i have mostly used Lowepro (Photo Trekker AW and Mini Trekker) and also have recently bought a THink Tank AIrport security roller bag which is great for weddings but not much use in the bush.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've carried all my equipment in a lowepro mini trekker for the past 4 years through Africa, North America and most of Australia. The big benefit I find is that I can fit my 2 Nikon Cameras, 3 lenses and other items in it such as a LED torch and some toiletries and it still comes in under 8KG so I can carry it on as cabin luggage. Throw in a pair of board shorts and an extra t shirt and your on your way no need for check on luggage.
    Also all the support strapping on it when done up makes it a tight little package which gives my gear extra protection as it is not bouncing around at all.
    In the field at 8kg its not a problem and I have all my gear with me at all times.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Throw in a pair of board shorts and an extra t shirt and your on your way no need for check on luggage

That's travelling light Greg have been using a mini trekker for a a couple of years now and it is a great bag holds heaps of gear.
    600 f/4 won't fit though been thinking of getting a lowepro lenstrekker 600 II anybody use this bag... Mike

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Toms
    have been using a mini trekker for a couple for a couple of years now and it is a great bag
    My dad has one, and loves it. You're right, it fits a heck of a lot of stuff in, and you'd never know it when you look at it.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've got the original lens trekker Mike, original version bought about 4-5 yrs ago, works well to hold the lens/camera , the harness/ comfort is not so good for me, I found I needed to add some additional padding in the lumbar area to avoid it digging into my butt, but maybe I'm just a weird shape??

It basically only holds a camera mounted to a super tele, a 580EXII will fit in the front pouch, to carry more (Ipod, other lenses etc) you need to add on slip lock pouches to the side/waist belt. I've got about 4 pouches I use along with a water bottle carrier. You'd be welcome to have a look at it if you like/try it out, being not too far down the road. I think the II version is not too different to mine.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages