Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in mist and fog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Shooting in mist and fog

On the few occasions I have been shooting in mists and fogs, my photos have been horribly grainy and showing ten times more noise than one normally gets. Is there any way one can reduce this effect. Given that light conditions are inevitably low and ISO relatively high, one expects a little more noise. But I have used the same ISO settings in sunny conditions without the problem. Canon 7D and Canon 40D have both been the same.
    Margaret.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Shooting in mist and fog

Sounds like you might be underexposing your images Margaret. A lot of the time fog/mist can trick the camera into shooting faster than is necessary. Try using +1/3 or +2/3 next time you try shooting in fog. Maybe post an image or two for example on here and we might be able to help.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes, Margaret. Post some resized, unprocessed jpegs of your raw captures and we can do some analysis.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

[/attachment]Subject: Shooting in mist and fog

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Randall
    Sounds like you might be underexposing your images Margaret. A lot of the time fog/mist can trick the camera into shooting faster than is necessary. Try using +1/3 or +2/3 next time you try shooting in fog. Maybe post an image or two for example on here and we might be able to help.
    Sorry its taken me so long to reply. April was a tad busy. Thanks for your offer of help. This is the worst of a disappointing bunch. Geelong's promise of winter to come, I think the cricketers call it mizzle. As the morning wore on, things improved a little. Crop is to about 60% of original area. Canon 7D, 300 mm f2.8 USM IS (no extender) tripod. 1/3200 @ f3.5, ISO 1600. Distance from subject, full width of footy field. And yes, I know it is a tad out of focus.
    Sorry that its not a bird photo, but the best example I could lay my hands on in a hurry.

[attachment=0:2gxasocd]_MG_1246.jpg[/attachment:2gxasocd]
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

.....I don't see too much noise Margaret (a little in the browns and greens of the BG which is to be expected), looks pretty good for the high ISO. Has the image presented had any exposure or levels adjustments??
    I also don't see any evidence of fog/mist.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I guess I should have sent a closer crop. And now I have done this, I am perhaps answering my own question. Is it just too low a resolution?
    [attachment=0:y0cmd4a6]_MG_1246F.jpg[/attachment:y0cmd4a6]
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Still no more noise than I would expect from that ISO rating. Try doing a google search for test images from both the 7D and 40D and see if the noise levels at 1600 are any better/worse than this. I don't think the fog has caused any problems.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes, there is some noise evident particularly in the crop.

Where is the fog & mist? It just looks dull overcast to me.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ok, you Guys, if its a fog you want, how about this. Taken way back in 2008 when I had only had my first digital a few weeks. I was using 1000 ISO, and thought that was enormously fast. Also using spot metering but even then it could not get things right. The fog was so thick I accidently drove my car into the Defence Department loading bay, and so thick they didn't even notice. Even the roos were oblivious to my presence, and I got a large number of shots of this fracas at quite close range. This is cropped in from the sides from landscape, but otherwise uncropped.
    Seriously, I appreciate tremenduously the help you have given me, and feel free to end this strand if you feel it has gone far enough.
    Thanks a million!
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I really like this image Margaret. Yes, there is noise there but you can handle both the colour & luminance noise in PP.
    I might add this is one of those images with so little contrast that I reckon you could do some special things to it in LAB mode.

A very quick repost, obviously it would look better if working on the raw file.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think the original shot is fine Margaret, noise is minimal and the fog/mist is well captured (which is one of the tough bits.) The added contrast is good in Geoffs but the colour balance seems too blue.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Paul I was only demonstrating noise removal. I didn't bother playing around with WB or any other colour correction. The contrast was only a rudimentary Levels adjustment.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

OK, so removing the colour noise resulted in the blue hue?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Umm, don't know, possibly. I reckon the original is too blue though. All I did was go into PS, copied the layer, adjusted the black & white points in Levels, converted the copied layer to a Smart Object, masked the roos and applied an NR filter. i did consider applying the filter to the blue channel only but it was a quick & dirty fix.

If starting from scratch the very first thing I do is play around with the WB in the raw converter (if I think an image needs it) before any other adjustments.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

OK, this is what I have done.
    Convert to Lab. Adjustments-curves-lightness channel; Move the lightness end of the curve in 35 points and the darkness end of the curve in 13 points towards the centre.
    -a channel; Move the centre point down one point and the top and bottom points 10 points across towards the centre.
    -b channel; Move the centre point down 3 points and move the top and bottom points 10 points across towards the centre.
    Merge layers and convert to RGB.
    New layer-filter-noise reduction-advanced; Reduce noise in the red channel only by 9 points, no preserve detail.
    New layer-filter-gaussian blur-1.5.
    New layer-filter-unsharp mask- amount 500, Radius 1.7, threshold 6.
    Finally use a gentle amount of dodge tool to enhance the eye highlight.
    I didn't try to selectively blur the background because I am pretty hopless at doing selections with a sharp edge, let alone fuzzy furry outlines. Did you do a selection, Geoff? Your sharpening was way better than mine.
    [attachment=0:3ht3l1h2]2roosfight080411_1665.jpg[/attachment:3ht3l1h2]
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.