Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 300mm 2.8 with teleconverter any advice please

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Sigma 300mm 2.8 with teleconverter any advice please

I had always planned to get a sigma 500mm f4.5 for my pentax system. However now I have saved my pennies it is no longer being made and I don't have another option.

I notice a few people have 300mm and converters. What is the general advice, hunt up a 500mm lens or go for the Sigma 300mm and use teleconverters.

I have the Sigma 50-500 which I am happy with in many situations, but bird photos with out flash or is some distance away look very grubby.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Default Re: Sigma 300mm 2.8 with teleconverter any advice please

HI
    Not sure which camera body you use or whether it is capable of auto focusing at a maximum aperture smaller than f/5.6, because with a 1.4x the 500/4.5 would become a 700/6.3 and many mid-range bodies would not be able to auto focus at that aperture. However, if your particular camera can, then I'd be looking for a 500/4.5 over a 300/2.8. For me personally, focal length is everything for the majority of bird photography I would do and I guess most people would also want a longer and slower lens over a shorter and faster one. I am sure the 300/2.8 is a super bit of glass and you ought to be able to read reviews at least on Fred Miranda's site. Wish you the best!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... =38&page=1

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... =38&page=2

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Akos. The two websites were very informative. I have just read through the thread about switching camera gear and feel a little less apprehensive about the 300 mm option.

It seems that everyone raves about the sigma 300. Biggest drawback is that when it has a teleconverter, my camera will still call it a 300 and do its shake reduction accordingly.

I have a large collection of basic tripods and monopods that get little use as i am a walk around and quick action type of photographer. I will decide after Easter which direction I will go in, but the deciding factor will be the only way for me to have a long lens new will be now as there is no other alternative on the horizon.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G'Day Bob

With a manual lens or in my case a sigma 70-300mm f4 macro +1.7 tc the camera on startup asks for the focal length,you can alter it with the 4 way controller.
    300 x 1.7 = 510 focal length 500 being the nearest. You can choose from 8-800 mm.

Mick

P.S. I have the K5 but this also applies to the K-X and the K200d.

Mick

Image Reposts
    Please ask

B&H Photo shows they have a 500mm f4.5 sigma lens in Pentax mount in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... EX_DG.html
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Mick and Chris

Mick that is really handy to know how to change the focal length
    Chris thanks for looking up on B&H. They can't accept Aus for anything over 3,500 on VISA and want a bank transfer. My first option was to buy in Aus as I have never done a purchase like that from OS.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Mick and Chris

Mick that is really handy to know how to change the focal length
    Chris thanks for looking up on B&H. They can't accept Aus for anything over 3,500 on VISA and want a bank transfer. My first option was to buy in Aus as I have never done a purchase like that from OS.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Hi Bob
    I did the bank transfer for B&H some years ago and all went very smoothly, I found them a good store to deal with. I think even Chris Ross and certainly many Aussies buy from that store or even Adorama. I suggest you read through some reviews of the above mentioned stores here:
    http://photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2

Image Reposts
    Please ask

B&H are definitely good to deal with, haven't bought something that big from them, but know of many others who have.

BTW how did you determine it is out of production?, the sigma lens website lists the Pentax mount, as does the the dirt cheap cameras website. There are a few Aussie camera websites only listing the Canon and nikon mount versions. I'd suggest you make some calls as the Dirt cheap cameras price would be about the same as B&H after you pay GST and freight and other charges to import and you get an Australian warranty.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/500mm-f4 ... -hsm-sigma

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/Slr- ... o-Hsm-Lens
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Chris

Thanks

CR kennedy who import and distribute sigma in Aus replied to my email and said it was no long in production. B&H have replied to my email and have them in stock. I have tried a couple of Aus sellers where they have had them on their webpage and they have replied they can't get one. I will try Dirt Cheap cameras and see how I go.

I won't until after Easter order as I have read they are going on a weeks break for passover

Image Reposts
    Please ask

And the story hasn't ended.
    I decided to get the sigma 500mm from B&H for my pentax on the basis that I might never get another chance.
    I got my bank to transfer the money, but it took about 6 days because of the weekend and a public holiday for them to get the money. And you guessed it they had run out of stock in those 6 days. They seem to be confident to have new stock by August so I will need to twiddle my thumbs and hope my money is safe.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Sorry Bob my fault . Check Adorama I think they had one .

Mick

Tony Hansford Guest

If you want a 500 f4.5 you could always buy a Canon one and get a cheap body like a used 30D, 50D or 1D Mk2 or 3 for it. Cameraexhange.com.au has a ef500 f/4.5L for $4850. And there's a guy on ebay who has tried twice to sell another one for $3800. Offer him close to $3800 and I'm sure it would be yours.
    http://cameraexchange.com.au/index.php? ... uct_id=292
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 500wt_1156

The magnification factor on the 1D is 1.3 but apparently it works in AF up to f/8, so it would work in AF with the 1.4x teleconvertor for an effective focal length of 910mm. The 30D etc is 1.6 mag factor and kind of works in AF with the 1.4x if you tape 3 pins on the extender, giving you a dodgy AF 1120mm effective focal length.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winters
    And the story hasn't ended.
    I decided to get the sigma 500mm from B&H for my pentax on the basis that I might never get another chance.
    I got my bank to transfer the money, but it took about 6 days because of the weekend and a public holiday for them to get the money. And you guessed it they had run out of stock in those 6 days. They seem to be confident to have new stock by August so I will need to twiddle my thumbs and hope my money is safe.
    Sorry to hear of your saga Bob. I must ask though, In this day & age of Credit Card & Paypal payments why did you need to get a Bank Transfer?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G.Day Geoff

I can answer that as i went through their system to buy that lens .
    They won't accept Pay-Pal unless the address can be verified which apparently can only be done in Canada ,UK & US
    credit cards e.g. Visa etc a limit of $3500. Appears that American Express & Diners Club is preferred.

I accually rang them before Easter and asked if i could use a visa card and make 2 payments couldnt get away with that,
    but i was given a quote number and after easter i spoke to them via live chat and got their bank details gave it to credit union next day ,3 days later it was in Aus
    waiting for delivery after long weekend.Unfortunately ?? i was on Fraser Island and have not had much time to play with it.