Thread: micro adjustments help needed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default micro adjustments help needed

i have taken this pic today and to me the legs look more in focus then the face the red box is where the focus point was it has been cropped as well
    7d with canon 300 f2.8 with 2 x extender mrk 3
    any help would be grateful

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: micro adjustments help needed

Do a google search on micro adjustment (I'm assuming the 7D has that option) and print out a focus chart and the instruction on how to perform a focus test and adjustments. I'd say it will just be when the 2xTC is connected and thats it.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It's very hard to judge from a field photo if there is an issue, downloading a chart as Paul has suggested and testing under controlled conditions is the only way to tell if adjustment is required.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Derek, not sure how good your technique is, but looks like camera movement to me. I could be wrong but I would suggest support of some sort and practice on a staionary object before you start adjusting anything, with a 2X converter you are going to lose some quality though.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thanks every one i was hh it was probley my tech

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Would it be possible to quote the settings that were used to capture this image ? A couple of forum members use the same setup as you and could offer help if they knew the settings. I'd tend to agree with Ian's comments re. camera movement.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thanks george
    Exposure Mode: Manual exposure
    Exposure Time: 1 / 800
    FNumber: 8
    Focal Length: 600
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Subject Distance: 9.57
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Lens Model: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x

Image Reposts
    Please ask

1/800 should be enough to freeze most movement for you unless you were very sloppy with technique or the bird was moving particularly quickly. You need to consider that AF will hunt around a bit and is not totally repeatable, it depends on how big the AF sensor is and what sort of contrast is available in the area under the AF sensor and what it consequently grabs onto. The red square does not show the exact extent of the AF sensor. It will also depend on how you have the camera set, as to whether it will release the shutter if AF not achieved and whether this is part of a burst or a single shot. This post may be useful:

http://digital-photography-school.com/f ... ppear.html

basically it's saying that the AF may grab other high contrast subjects situated near the sensor indicator, indicating the AF sensor's receptive area is extending beyond the red square. As DOF drops off this tends to become more and more problematic. The fact that this image is cropped makes it more likely the sensor is seeing something away from where you are aiming due to small subject size.

I would do the AF test with the target to ensure you are not front or back focusing and rule that in or out before playing further. Canon lens/body combinations can and do exhibit front/back focus issues. If you need to do micro adjustment it is specific to each lens or lens/converter combo.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages