Thread: What to do, possible lens problem.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default What to do, possible lens problem.

So, I dropped my lens today... :roll: Somehow, it managed to slip out of my hands, fall an inch or two onto a table, only to roll off the edge onto a lino or something floor. Needless to say, I panicked and I am really mad at myself. But human nature, I'm afraid, is an unstoppable force. Fortunately, it's only a kit lens, 55-250mm, but it's still my best lens.

Now I put it back on the camera, and did a quick test on it, zoomed in and out, used the auto focus and snapped a few shots and it seemed to be ok. But when I tilt it a certain way, I can hear the tiniest of movements inside. So something really small has obviously come loose (not surprisingly), it doesn't seem to be causing issues at the moment but I guess it could do in the long run.

Would the best thing to do just be to take it back to where I bought it (as it's covered under warranty) and try and get them to repair it? Is it a bad idea to tell them that I dropped it? Maybe some bumps in the car knocked something loose Advice is appreciated. I've never dropped an expensive camera lens before and had to deal with the warrantly etc. Are they likely to charge me something for repairs if I tell them I dropped it? I was considering getting a 400mm lens sometime later this year as my birding lens. So is it worth getting the kit lens repaired if it still works ok?

I was having such a good weekend too...
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: What to do, possible lens problem.

Sorry to hear that Bec would depend on the cost of repair I would imagine whether you can get it fixed under warranty remains to be seen ? worth a go i guess, don't think that I would tell them that it has hit the floor though any visible exterior damage..

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah, I'd go, say it's under warranty, and can hear something loose inside. If they won't do it, try arguing It's warranty, and if you don't say you dropped it, they have no reason to reject your request (if its a Canon warranty; if it's someone else, they can have some dodgy fineprint). If they say its going to cost, then you'll need to decide if it's worth it, or worth just putting the money towards a replacement, and hope that the lens isn't badly damaged.

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Having a good quality lens is a must have if you are interested in taking good photos. Unfortunately those kit lenses aren't very good quality when you compare them with the L series lens. If I were you I'ld save my money up and look at getting an L series lens. The quality of your images will improve significantly just on the purchase alone.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If it ain't broke....don't fix it Bec It still works perfectly by the sounds of things and if you have to get it fixed you will be without it for several weeks at least (in which time you'll miss heaps of bird opportunities I bet....Murphys law of course).

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you were to tell them the lens was dropped it would not be covered under warranty and you would be charged for it's repair.

Being a kit lens, if it still functions as you expect, and takes images to the quality that matches before you dropped it, I wouldn't bother with getting it fixed. Especially if you are considering upgrading in the near future anyway. Save the repair money for your next lens investment.

Worst case scenario, even if it does require repair, you may find the cost of repair is similar/more expensive than a second hand kit lens anyway.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Listen to Mark!
    On another note, the cost of repairing your lens will be more than another kit....kat......lens

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Young
    Having a good quality lens is a must have if you are interested in taking good photos. Unfortunately those kit lenses aren't very good quality when you compare them with the L series lens. If I were you I'ld save my money up and look at getting an L series lens. The quality of your images will improve significantly just on the purchase alone.
    Well, that is the ultimate plan, but money is of course the reason why I don't have one yet, otherwise it would have been purchased when I bought the body

Thanks for all the replies though, hasn't really helped me make a decision though I'm thinking that I'll see how it goes for a week or two and if I'm having problems will take it in. You are right Paul in that if I'm not seeing any problems with it, there's not much point in getting it fixed. I had considered taking it in, just to enquire about repair and possible costs, but I doubt they'd give me a quote even if it was going to cost me something.

So, I guess I'll just leave it for the moment and see how it goes...
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"