Thread: Sensor cleaning.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Sensor cleaning.

We all need it done from time to time just wondering what procedure you use
    have been doing my own for around 18 months now and am quite comfortable with it
    start with the rocket blower and if that does'nt shift it then I use the brush which you charge
    by blowing air on the bristles with the rocket blower, finally have used the swab about 4 times
    mostly on the 1dIIn as it seems to collect more dust than the 1d3.
    not recommended by the manufacturer obviously..... I feel that there is some propaganda attached to sensor cleaning by the manufacturers themselves 8-) I certainly would never ever do anything to harm my own gear
    the three stages described above take me between 5 and 10 minutes, I have heard quotes from 100 dollars down to 50.
    My house is like 110 years old and there is dust change lenses in the field on a windy day.....
    I do it to save money and it works for me, it may not be everybody's cup of tea but I would encourage those that have thought about it to give it a go
    the kit that I purchased was around 165 dollars and is quite extensive with detailed instructions.
    the kit will last me around 10 years I guess with an estimated clean on each of my cameras of around 4 times a year each, 8 sensor cleans, this can add up considerably

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Sensor cleaning.

Haven't cleaned my 1DMkIIn yet, hadn't seen the need till recently and haven't got around to buying the cleaning gear yet.

Did a bit of research and the summary seems to be, it's not rocket science and I believe quite hard to damage anything as long as you are careful. As far as choosing cleaning gear goes, it appears you need a dry cleaning method for statically bonded dust and a wet method for glued on dust or any oil. Then you have the cleaning gear vendors selling you a $5 or so single use swab assembled in a clean room. The Pec Pads are heaps cheaper and are also packed in clean facilities, the worst that can happen is transferring a little dust to the sensor, unless of course you drop one at the beach and use it for a sensor clean later.

The tricky part is that the two methods don't mix well. If you dry clean and contact oil you can spread it around your sensor. If you wet clean you can tend to push dust into the corners. Seems like a blow, then a dry clean, check and wet clean if required then follow up with a dry clean to finish off if needed is the overall workflow for a clean sensor.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages