Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Switching Camera Systems

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Considering Switching Camera Systems

As many of you know, I'm currently shooting with Olympus gear (see my sig). While I do really like my current setup, I can't help but wish for extra reach (don't all bird photographers!). While the Zuiko 300mm f2.8 can be had for between $4500-$5000 second hand now (if and when they are available, which is rarely), and this would provide me with 600mm reach due to the Four Thirds 2x crop factor (which could be further increased with teleconverters), I'm just not sure I want to make this kind of investment in such a lens with all the speculation around the future of the Four Thirds line up. For those of you not following camera development, Olympus seems to be putting all their eggs into Micro Four Thirds, and the pathway for Four Thirds is very hazy to say the least.

So now I am at a cross roads where I am considering selling all my Oly gear and switching to Canon. Canon indeed appear to have the best available and best priced telephoto lenses. And the Canon second hand market is much stronger than Olys. The set up I have been looking at (re daydreaming about) is the 7D combined with the 500mm f/4L IS USM and EF 1.4x Extender, or something similar. Although I'd consider a high quality zoom, as I like the versatility of zoom lenses (such as the 200-400 f4 very nice looking setup!

Basically starting from scratch, I'm interested to hear peoples opinions about what they'd perhaps consider system wise if they were in a similar situation.. what camera/lens combos etc.

I feel like I'm approaching that point in my photography were I wish to invest in a high quality system, as well as the time to learn how to use it properly, but unfortunately I just don't feel comfortable with Olys future direction (or lack of a road map for the current system).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Considering Switching Camera Systems

7D and 400mm f5.6 is my advice for upgrading. I wouldn't recommend a big lens (500mm f4) to start with, with the combo I've recommended you will have an EFL of 640mm and this will be handholdable and the amount you'll be able to crop will be more significant than with your oly gear IMO too.
    100-400mm is a good option for you as well seeing how you have more foresty areas out your way.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for your advice Paul, very sound advice too. My only concern with a 400 f5.6 and 100-400 f5.6 would be the 5.6 max aperture, you don't think this would be too slow (especially in lower light areas, like bush land)?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nope, should be fine Of course, you will need to get the hang of flash

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've been using the external flash unit of my Oly gear for about 2 months now, slowly getting the hang of it.

May I ask what the particular reason is you would suggest not starting out with a larger lens? Granted I haven't used a lens of such focal lengths before, I have become quite comfortable shooting with my current gear, albeit handheld. Although I would be starting from scratch with a new system, I've been shooting with my current gear for over a year now. My Oly lens 50-200mm and 1.4x tc give me an effective focal reach of 566mm, albeit with a better max aperture of f4.9.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Might be time to bail on the oly Adam especially if you think that they may not fit your future requirements
    you will pay around the same for a second hand canon 300 2.8 is. and it depends if you would like to kit up with second hand gear or brand new because you can save a bit of money and still come out with high end gear
    does anyone not think that with the eminent release of the new super tele's that there will not be some bargains to be had....

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Toms
    Might be time to bail on the oly Adam especially if you think that they may not fit your future requirements
    That's the way I'm thinking.

you will pay around the same for a second hand canon 300 2.8 is.
    I'm thinking along the lines of spending this kind of money, but I'm also thinking I would be better off investing in more focal length, hence my desire to look at something like a 500mm f4. Don't feel as though I'd be gaining anymore reach if I went for a 300 2.8, altho I guess with a 2x extender it becomes a 600 5.6 right? Would I not be better off purchasing a longer lens instead? What kind of learning curve is there with one of the big guns?

and it depends if you would like to kit up with second hand gear or brand new because you can save a bit of money and still come out with high end gear
    Happy to go second hand and save some $$$.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yeah ok, my experience has been steep you learn as you go, for instance when I first purchased my 300 2.8 I was impressed with the bare lens and also with the 1.4x tc, however after fitting the 2x tc things became much more difficult :roll: technique plays a big part in longer focal lenghts. Have been trying my older 600 f/4 with a 2x II tc
    and find 1200mm a real challenge But I know that it can be done going on other shooters images at 1200mm
    that we see here fom time to time
    Just screw her on and away we go would be good but in theory no way Hos'e
    the 300 2.8 with 2x tc is 600 5.6 and the 500 with 1.4x tc is 700 f/5.6
    Ultimately the purchase is up to you Adam, think carefully before you buy as there is no point buying a lens and then 6 months down the track prefer something longer.....

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

the 300 2.8 with 2x tc is 600 5.6 and the 500 with 1.4x tc is 700 f/5.6
    Ultimately the purchase is up to you Adam, think carefully before you buy as there is no point buying a lens and then 6 months down the track prefer something longer.....
    Which is kind of why I'm thinking I might start off with the 100-400, as it is a more versatile lens that I can use for photographing other things (not that I photo much besides birds!), which will also give me the ability to learn how to use the new Canon set up, which I'm sure will be a very different experience to my Oly set up.. and then down the track save up my pennies for a used 500 f4 and 1.4x combo.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Re: going for the big lens first. 500mm (to start with) will not suit your side of town in my opinion (foresty environments etc). For instance, I wouldn't bother (and haven't bothered) to take my 600mm to a place like Warrendyte as I know that the terrain does not suit carrying the thing and the closed environment of leafy surrounds doesn't suit the focal length. Birds will more often than not pop up around you and getting focus on them with a long EFL in that sort of place will be really difficult. The 400mm is a lens that will always be valuable to you whether you have a 500mm or not so I would suggest that be your first purchase

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Randall
    Re: going for the big lens first. 500mm (to start with) will not suit your side of town in my opinion (foresty environments etc). For instance, I wouldn't bother (and haven't bothered) to take my 600mm to a place like Warrendyte as I know that the terrain does not suit carrying the thing and the closed environment of leafy surrounds doesn't suit the focal length. Birds will more often than not pop up around you and getting focus on them with a long EFL in that sort of place will be really difficult. The 400mm is a lens that will always be valuable to you whether you have a 500mm or not so I would suggest that be your first purchase
    Very sound rationale Paul. I think this may be the reason I go with the 100-400 to start with, the versatility suits my local areas more than a prime lens would.

I've also toyed with the idea of keeping the Oly system for a while and shooting dual system (thus purchasing a 7D and 500mm lens to compliment my current setup).. but as you have alluded to I'm not sure how much use something like a 500mm would get in my local areas (which I obviously frequent more often), which makes it harder to justify dropping several thousand dollars on an additional setup to what I'm currently using. Ultimately I'd prefer to shoot with one system anyway.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Blyth
    I've also toyed with the idea of keeping the Oly system for a while and shooting dual system.
    You would want to get rid of it sooner rather than later. ...better resale value.
    I'd bet that if you purchased a Canon camera & lens you would not use your Oly kit again.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates
    I'd bet that if you purchased a Canon camera & lens you would not use your Oly kit again.
    Care to bet that lovely 300 f/2.8 of yours?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

[quote=Adam Blyth]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Geoff Gates":1a61alvz
    Care to bet that lovely 300 f/2.8 of yours? [/quote:1a61alvz]

Well I'll go a bit further then. If you are going to spend all those $$s on new kit you would be foolish to not sell the current equipment and add those funds to your new purchase. The Oly will collect dust sitting on the shelf.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Being an ex Oly user I agree with Geoff, once I swithched the Oly went into the cupboard never to see the light of day again. Sold the glass to buy more Canon gear. The Oly glass is good gear but I think Canon glass is better.