Thread: Camera Recommendations?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Camera Recommendations?

Hi everyone

Some may know that I'm heading off on a school trip to India at the end of the year. It promises to be fantastic for birds (even if they're only incidental birds), but I have a slight problem. Being a school trip, and being a kid that has a habit of sometimes losing or breaking things, I will 100% not be allowed to take our expensive SLR (I guess it's not that expensive compared to some of the other cameras some people have on here, but still )

Anyway, my question is, can anyone recommend a cheap camera (say, under $350) that is really good for photography, but more specifically animal and bird photography? I know $350 will not be enough for an SLR, so I'm more looking for a point+shoot that can take recognisable shots of small birds. We have got one that I can take, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a particularly good P&S that works for photographing birds

Regards
    Josh
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Camera Recommendations?

G'day Joshua,
    My wife has a Panasonic Lumix FZ18. It is several years old now and I know there are later models of the same thing. It has superb optical quality, can be used as a normal camera (through the viewfinder), has IS and an 18X zoom. I've never used it for birds so I can't comment but, as I said, its optical qualities are excellent. Only drawback is the delay between depressing the button and the camera firing which would be a problem for moving birds.

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yep, was going to recommend one of the Panasonic P+S cameras. Have a look at second hand ones if you can, the FZ30 has a 12 x optical zoom lens that is pretty good and it was released nearly 6 years ago so price should be under $400 second hand I would think.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks guys - I might have a look into the Panasonic range
    Cheers
    Josh

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

A Panasonic Lumix would be my suggestion to, I have one that has 26x optical zoom, and that's pretty awesome, also at Warringa Mall Camera shop (Near the New Zealand Natural Food stand) the man showed me a 300mm equivalent one for $300
    Worldwide: ~900 Australia: 396 Birds on my block*: 113
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You'll probably need every mm you can get in India Josh, if the birds are anything like Thai birds, the problem in Asia is that birds are a food source and many young boys carry slingshots so birds tend be very timid in most locations, always exceptions of course. A P&S will do alright in good light they can be temperamental focusers at the long end of the zoom in any thing bar perfect conditions and with the very long lenses you NEED GOOD image stabilisation.

The Canon superzooms are all quite good and have some neat features, my daughter has an S3IS and it makes nice shots. The Canon SX20IS has a 36-360mm lens (equiv) and is only $207 at digidirect. The SX30IS has a 24-840 lens but it's $540. The SX220HS is 28-392 and goes for $429.

You could also look at some of the "lesser known" brands like Pentax and Fuji where you pay less of a name premium, you could look at the Pentax X90 which has a 26-670 lens for $335 or the Fuji S1600 with 28-420 for $280.

Suggest you look up on line reviews via google to see what the good and bad features of these ones are to see if you are happy with the trade offs.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Chris. Think I'll have to do a bit of research