Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teleconverter for Canon EF 75 - 300mm Kit Lense

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Teleconverter for Canon EF 75 - 300mm Kit Lense

I currently have a Canon EOS 400D with the EF 75 - 300 mm kit lense. Being new to DSLR photography, I'm acheiving some mixed results, which I'd like to improve on.

Would it be worthwhile buying a teleconverter to use with this kit lense or would I be better off putting the money towards a higher quality lense?

Any advice is appreciated!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Teleconverter for Canon EF 75 - 300mm Kit Lense

A teleconverter is going to give very ordinary (extremely poor) results with any kit lens.

Put your money towards a higher quality lens and consider what sort of photography you wish to do before buying the lens.
    As a good starter lens for bird photography I suggest you look at the 400 f/5.6 prime lens.

Although if you want some versatility you might consider the 100- 400mm zoom (I'm unimpressed with that lens though)
    There is a 200 - 400mm zoom being released soon too which you might want to research (try google).

If at any time you decide to give photography away the high quality lens will have good resale value.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yep, the higher quality lens would be the smarter purchase. Like Geoff said, the resale value will be quite good if you decide to sell too.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

... so if I purchased a 400 f/5.6 prime lens, would it be feasible to match it with a 400D or should I be looking at a higher calibre body as well?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I see no reason why it would not be a good fit with the 400D.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

With reasonably well lit subjects the 400D should be fine with the 400/5.6. If you feel you need(want) superior high ISO capabilities you can always upgrade if it's in your budget.

The 400/5.6 will make a very noticeable improvement in IQ over the 70-300.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks heaps for the replies....

next question... anyone selling a 400/5.6 or higher spec lens?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Sorry mate, I will never sell mine and I think you'll find a lot of other people feel the same way. Says a lot about how good this lens is You'll get a good deal on one if you have a good look around the web

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade... how would a Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM fair in the field?

Would I be better off with the 400mm lens or the Image stabilised Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM?

Any suggestions on an appropriate macro lens for the 7D?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade... how would a Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM fair in the field?
    Would I be better off with the 400mm lens or the Image stabilised Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM?
    Any suggestions on an appropriate macro lens for the 7D?
    Yep, that combo (400mm and 7D) would be excellent.

Image stabilisation is not a necessity if you have the right technique

Canon 100mm f2.8 macro is what I use for macro stuff and I've found it to be a great lens.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks heaps for your advice Paul. I really appreciate it.

Would I be disadvantaged going for a non-zoom lens over a zoom lens?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Robotpimp
    Would I be disadvantaged going for a non-zoom lens over a zoom lens?
    A little more versatility with a zoom lens (I'm guessing your talking about the 100-400mm) if you are taking images of subjects other than birds. Birds are my main subject and there have been very few instances where I have thought a zoom would have been a better asset than the 400mm prime.
    If you will be doing a lot of dense forest (rainforest etc) photography then the 100-400mm might come in handy as small forest birds often pop up very close to you when shooting, often within the minimum focusing distance of the 400mm prime which is just over 3 metres (100-400mm has a shorter min.focus distance).

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I thought long and hard about whether to buy the 300/4L IS or the 400/5.6L (no IS) and ended up buying the 300 and use it with both 1.4x and 2x converters. For my needs it's a far more suitable lens. I have also used my friend's 400/5.6L and found it excellent for birds in flight, but in low light I struggled to get decent shots as I hand hold and rarely use tripods trading that off for mobility in the field. I also thought about the 100-400 zoom, but in four years I think I can count on one hand how many times I really needed less than 300mm. For birds focal length is king and for me a zoom was of no use. Mark Young came with me one day and tried both 300/4L IS and 400/5.6L and he bought the 300/4L IS. IS is important and useful when hand holding. If you can afford, buy both as the 300/4L focuses about one meter closer also making it an attractive close-up lens.
    My 2c.

An end note, yes, the 400/5.6L focuses a little faster than a 300/4+1.4x but really, I am not that fussed and have more than capable hands and experience to say prefocus on something and it still locks in super fast anyway. No issue really. Only for tech heads maybe.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Certainly food for thought... thanks Akos!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Lens choice depends on your style of photography and subject choice, if it's purely birds and in particular birds in flight then the 400mm f.6 makes a good choice, the 300mm f4 focuses much closer and with and without a 1.4x makes an excellent long macro lens as well as a fine bird lens. It does a great job on dragonflies and butterflies even capturing dragons in flight with the right body attached. AF won't be quite as fast as the 400mm f5.6 but the IS makes it hand hold-able down to around 1/80 or so depending on technique. Both lenses are very sharp even wide open and the 300mm takes the converter well.

If you are on a budget have a look at Ebay if you're comfortable doing that, a 300mm f4 goes for about $1200 normally in excellent condition. 400mm f5.6 probably about the same. The 7D would be a good camera, you do need to be a bit careful with exposures as you'll find it may tend to be a bit noisy in the shadows. I have a 1D MkIIn I picked up on Ebay and it gives very little trouble with noise, very heavy though and "only" 8 MP. The big 18MP 7D files may make you want to upgrade your computer when processing them though.

Here's a 300mm f4 up on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EF-300mm-f ... 27b99f6455

and here's one going for $1300, it has zero bids so is priced a bit high:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EF-300mm-f ... 27b9965ee9

1.4x can be picked up for $300-$350, Should be few type II's selling with the release of the type III, I wouldn't go for a type I.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages