Thread: Flash

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Flash

Ray Walker wrote:

I also took a pic with the flash. As it is the first time I have used one, I have a couple of questions. Do I have to stop down ( I think that is what it is called) to lesson the amount of light.? Also I am getting a Yongnuo yn-460-2 flash, what type of" better beamer" do I buy?...Thanks
    Here is the pic with the flash, same setting as the other pic.

Any helpers..
    Maybe I should post in here..
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Flash

No idea what better beamer you should buy, don't think they make one for that brand but from the image I've seen it looks like the 430ex BB might fit it.
    You can stop down your lens when using flash or you can use flash exp. compensation to control the amount of light the flash puts out.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Paul.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have been talking to Stu and he doesn't sell Better beamers, is this the equivalent?
    http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/honl-ph ... -5058.html

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

No, its not unfortunately. Most people I know buy theirs from the "Birds as Art" website in the US. I think the 430ex version will suit yours and if not it could easily be modified.
    http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#BEAMER

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Item not stocked here Rev, you need to go OS matey

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Toms
    Item not stocked here Rev, you need to go OS matey
    Thanks mike , I am on to it..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yeah have a look at the link Paul posted and while your there you can look at all the other STUFF

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Toms
    and while your there you can look at all the other STUFF
    And the operative word being..LOOK..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ray I got a good deal here and I was cheap for postage in got to me in about two weeks.

They have a deal were you get extra lens???

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/visua ... ender.html
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ray,

regarding your question about how to reduce light from the flash, a quick google reveals that this flash is manual output only which means you need to adjust the output on the flash to get the lighting ratio desired, this of course will need to be reset any time you change camera to subject distance. It does not have ETTL which is what you get on the Canon flashes. With ETTL you press a button and dial the fill ratio up and down and it's all taken care of automatically.

So to adjust the flash you would need to do some test shots and look at the histogram/LCD screen to judge the flash ratio, or you could use a flash meter. In practice you would need to develop a system to get close to what you want based on settings from a card you prepare and fine tune from there. For instance you might get the right fill ratio at f8 and a distance of say 10m with 1/2 power, so you would have a table for f8 with flash power vs distance and have the required flash power vs distances of 2,3,4,5,...10...15m. You really need to pat attention to this with a bemaer as it is really easy to overflash with one.

Far easier with a Canon flash as all you do is dial in your desired fill ratio and if you are within range for your flash unit, that's what you get.

The fill ratio is basically the ratio of the ambient light exposure to the flash exposure. The normal recommended starting point for fill ratio is -1 2/3, that is the light from the flash is 1 2/3 stops under exposed compared to the ambient exposure. Hope that's clear.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Chris, I will study it up

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I (personally) would never buy anything at BAA; never did anyway. I recommended this site to a friend (for buying a BB) and she was happy with it overall. http://www.rpphoto.com/store/default.asp

You can also buy beamers at the naturescapes store, but their postal costs are pretty steep. I think the one at RPPhoto above was quite OK from memory.

Anyway, you can make your own beamer as well. But for a total of 60 bucks or so I would not waste my time making one.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Just had a look Akos, postage is $27.95 and $12.95 from your link, big difference. Now if you were ordering flash brackets along with it it may be a different story.

Just adding to what I said this morning, some people recommend using manual flash but it would be a disaster for the type of shooting I do, with distance and f stop or ISO being changed at the drop of the hat or whim of the subject. Birds and other wildlife don't wait around while you lookup cards or fire test shots to get the flash tuned in.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Apologies if you have already bought the flash Ray but i agree with Chris. I reckon trying to use a manual flash as your first flash will be VERY challenging. If you master it you will have awesome skills of course, but it will be a very steep learning curve.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21