Thread: Vest or Backpack

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Vest or Backpack

Hi guys, what works better on birding adventures, Vest-or back pack been tossing around either one, each has its merits
    who is using what ???
    at the moment I just use camera, jeans pockets are crammed with spare battery, phone keys,
    dont take a water bottle limit myself to 1-2 hours out . but there are a few reserves futher away from me that i would like to visit come next spring that need a lot more hours put into to get the most from hence the question
    thanks in advance Cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Vest or Backpack

My advice, get both Rick Don't go all out on the vest, just something with a few good pockets. The bag needs to be as comfy as possible so you are willing to take it walking, otherwise it will sit in the car most of the time Vest for longer walks and bag for shorter trips

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I take a backpack, because I always take my bottle of water with me, I carry a field guide in it and also my smaller lens, then phone, keys, a snack :P etc. I often go for at least 2 hours and if you're walking a long way it's good to have a snack so you have the energy to walk back again :P Haha.

But it really does all depend on how much you're carrying with you. I hardly ever actually refer to my field guide on my trips now, but I worry that the time I don't take it with me, I'm really going to need it.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I rarely take a backpack. Most often take a vest. I was given a couple of Colorado T Shirts for Christmas that came in this tiny little cooler bag which is a perfect size for a flash + beamer + spare battery and TC Quite handy to have a few things but be able to lighten the load quickly when you stop.
    I found that with a camera bag i got sick of taking it on and off and if i needed something in a hurry (new CF card, battery etc) the moment was long gone by the time i got it out. Only disadvantage with the vest i have is that its quite warm in summer. But i can fit snacks, drink, speaker, misc gear etc in it no worries.
    It also depends on what equipment you have and what other lenses you want to take. I usually don't bother taking anything but the 500mm and tripod with me which is carried over the shoulder as its too much extra weight to think about wide lenses etc. I also don't bother with a field guide anymore. If you have an iphone the Morcombe app (whilst not perfect) is a great weight saver in case you really need a guide!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You could look at a beltpack system which is basically a belt with attached pouches for gear, you can get a water bottle carrier as well. Lowepro make a system with a broad belt with a range of pouches you can attach to it. If need be you can get a shoulder harness as well to help hold it up. Works well for smaller camera gear, binos etc. Larger telephotos would be another story. Advantage is the weight is carried on your hips where it belongs and you are much more breahable in warm weather. Here's a link with some of the components:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.a ... y819_1.htm
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I take a backpack with water, handheld UHF, water and some medicine for my trips of one hour out of busy roads or populations.
    A twisted ankle can put you "out of order"for long time and without water you can be in trouble.
    A bite from a snake will be very bad but possible in the bush and rescue is needed with in 30 minutes.
    If the trip is short then I do not load my backpack too much and leave the second body at home.
    http://www.plottier.net
    http://arthur-plottier.megashot.net/
    My gear: Nikon D300s, lens and Land Rover Defender

Image Reposts
    Please ask

What sort of camera gear are you carrying? I did a 4km hike yesterday with a 500 f/4 and big tripod mounted on my shoulder... which now hurts like buggery.
    So if you're doing anything similar, make sure your shoulders are padded, or you get a neoprene lens-coat for your tripod legs!

Edit: by "shoulders are padded" I don't mean like Don Johnson Steer clear of that look.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Plottier
    handheld UHF
    That's a great idea. Can I ask what model you have? What range does it have as well?