Thread: Removing OOF Wire in photo's?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Removing OOF Wire in photo's?

Hello, I have always been a fan of Captive Birds (namely as the photo's are just way way better) but there is one thing that always gets me.... The wire, my camera's pretty good at bluring the wire, but it often just ruins the photo, any tips?
    Worldwide: ~900 Australia: 396 Birds on my block*: 113
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Removing OOF Wire in photo's?

Use the healing brush. This is very effective. This repost took me all of three minutes

EDIT: Of course, with a little more effort, you'd get a much better result.
    In this image I'd also consider playing around with shadows, brightness etc, on the BG, to make the bird stand out a little more.

[attachment=0:22knwl56]BOz Thai Bird of Prey.jpg[/attachment:22knwl56]
    Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Cool photo
    I had a bit of a play and tried a few different things. Selected the BG, used a big, big fat smudge tool and really got stuck into it. Then I blurred the BG with "lens blur" filter. The wire across the breast is tough, I just burnt it in a little but to get rid of it when you take the shot you should shoot wide open (widest aperture). I did a colour shift as well.
    [attachment=0:346qebni]BOz%20Thai%20Bird%20of%20Prey.jpg[/attachment:346qebni]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Removing OOF Wire in photo's?

I'm no use one the PP side of things so I'm not sure I should even post this reply considering the forum it's in...
    but here are a couple of things to keep in mind when taking the photo:
    1) wide open aperture to minimize DOF
    2) get as close to the wire as possible
    3) try to shoot through wire that has less light on it than the subject, so the wire is under exposed
    4) use longer focal lengths where possible

In combination with the above it helps to have the subject as far away from the wire you are shooting through as possible... of course the catch is you don't usually have many angles to work with to begin with.

And if that fails... ask someone how to Photoshop the result.

Cheers
    Cameron
    Cheers

Cameron

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I feel that it is too time consuming to try and sort out the offending wires later. What I do think is that you can with a bit of thinking create images that don't even show the wire. Of course, if you want full body, or 3/4 or 1/2 size images that would be difficult in many instances. I show you one example here I took at Featherdale Wildlife Park nearly two years ago and I used my 100mm macro lens with a relatively wide aperture and pushed right against the wire. This enclosure had about 50mm x 50mm wire so it was a breeze to shoot through.

30D, 100mm macro, ISO800, f/5, 1/100th, flash used

http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d...+Kite_5372.jpg

Smaller aviaries will probably have 10mm x 10mm wire, which is a pain in the back side. Again, shooting close birds and trying to get as much of the bird into the frame as possible will help. Now that I think of it, why not go to the aviaries at Taronga Zoo? They are big with nice habitats and plenty of good opportunities to not get wire into the shot. See this portrait.

http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d...-Dove-4320.jpg

It was my 300/4L hand held. Neither images I just showed you had wire problems.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah, I manage to get the wire out in most of the photo's (getting up the the wire and such) but there are some, where that is impossible... Chiang Mai zoo didn't give much consideration for Photography, the wire was metal colour, not black, they kept you about a meter away from it by a thick hedge, and the birds were sitting close to the wire... Thanks for the photoshop attempts Paul and Ashy (I saw an Ashy Drongo in Thailand xD) Will use them next time =D
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Here's my go Used both Smudge and Heal brushes, along with dodge and burn tools

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've got a great tip for you Nathan......get out in the bush and practice on some real birds!!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That's what I tell him every day loljks
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Nathan
    I thought you may like to see these two images I got at Australia Zoo. I hate caged birds so I would rarely take them but I wanted it for ID purposes and to see if I could make the wire disappear with the longer focal length. It is technically not the greatest but it shows what Akos is saying that you can do when you get up close to the wire.

Both shots taken with 1000D EF75-300 with no PP to speak of. Just getting close to the wire adn relying on the fical length to do the rest.

Hope you don't mind me posting them here....not sure what the protocols are for that

Cheers
    Adrienne
    Birding is better than therapy!