Thread: IMAGE OF THE WEEK REVIVAL/PROCESS

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default IMAGE OF THE WEEK REVIVAL/PROCESS

Well the Image of the Week has been sorely missed by a lot of members and I thought it was about time we brought it back.
    The new format will take a little getting used to but once we all know how the process goes it will be very easy.
    We will run it as a trial for the next couple of weeks so if you have any questions about it then ask away in this thread.

OK, here goes

You can nominate an image by simply making the following addition to your post when commenting on the image you wish to nominate:-

IOTW nomination

The competition period will be between my "WEEKLY THEME GALLERY" posts which I normally post on Sundays and the process will start this Sunday.

You can only make one nomination per week so you may want to wait until the end of the week (Friday/Saturday perhaps) to make your nomination just in case you see an image posted that you like better for whatever reason.

At the end of the week, just after I have posted the WEEKLY THEME, I will add up the nominations and award the IOTW in the "IOTW Winners" forum.

You can nominate an image by any member you like (admins included) but I would ask you to make a few considerations when nominating so that we do not always have the most "technically" adept members taking out the honours.
    These considerations are as follows:-

*Does the image show a marked improvement in the posters photography?

*Has the poster gotten the most out of their equipment? Perhaps they have achieved an amazing image from a point and shoot/ lower end camera.

*Has the image been taken in a tough photographic situation?

There will also be an image chosen from the "New to Bird Photography" forum each week (chosen by the admins, no need for nominations).

As I said, any questions then please ask away. We may make small changes along the way to make the process easier.
    The competition/nominations will begin from Sunday at 10am when I post the WEEKLY THEME, I wish you all the best of luck.

Paul Randall

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: IMAGE OF THE WEEK REVIVAL/PROCESS

So, only images posted within that weekly timeframe are eligible. For instance, if there was an image posted this saturday that I really liked, I can't vote for it because it would have been for a previous week (if it had already started), just to clarify. Otherwise, sounds like a nice bit of fun to increase activity and responses to some images.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Forgive me for saying so, but I think this might get a bit complicated Paul. It would mean that people would have to go back over the images at the end of the week, say, Sunday and then post another comment (if they had already posted one) for a nomination.
    That said, I think the idea of an Image of the Week is an excellent one, it would introduce something to aim for and to be proud of, some recognition on this site.
    I would suggest that maybe the mods/admins could select, say, 5-10 images that they think cover the criteria you mentioned, then post that on a page (ie post the links or the photos) and then people could reply to that thread with their votes. I can't remember, was this the way it was done in the past? I have seen it done this way on other sites as well.

Please don't think I am being unduly harsh, just offering my two cents worth.
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yep, basically after you see me post this weeks theme on Sunday 10am, all images posted after that will be up for nomination. As I said, it is just a trial to start with and I'm sure there will be tweaks to it. The other option was to post a thread of the images nominated and then have members vote on them but this seems unnecessary seeing how the IOTW nomination is really a vote in itself, and also...after a week of nominating and then another week of voting, the award will not be given until 2 weeks after the images were actually posted and this seems like a fair bit of lag.
    I might not post the Theme as a sticky this time around, this way you will be able to see from where the nominations are open for that week.
    It would mean that people would have to go back over the images at the end of the week, say, Sunday and then post another comment (if they had already posted one) for a nomination.
    Ideally, people will open an image from a member and vote/nominate when they comment (by adding the IOTW nomination at the end of their comment). But if they haven't voted by the end of the week you may be right, they may have to go back to that image that they were impressed by and add their nomination. No need to comment again, just add the IOTW text.
    Its the easiest way we can think of to implement the comp at the moment...until we upgrade forum engines in a month or two (fingers crossed ).

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The other thing to bear in mind Tobias is that your suggestion adds more work for the mods which we kind of don't need at the moment
    Thanks for your comments though mate. We'll just have to see how we go and tweak from there if needed.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah, thats fair enough, I understand. See how it goes, I guess
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

This is only for the avian images?
    http://www.plottier.net
    http://arthur-plottier.megashot.net/
    My gear: Nikon D300s, lens and Land Rover Defender

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thats correct Arthur

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Randall
    Thats correct Arthur
    Discrimination!!! :cry:
    I will never have a chance
    http://www.plottier.net
    http://arthur-plottier.megashot.net/
    My gear: Nikon D300s, lens and Land Rover Defender

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

We may actually open it to "other images" in the future seeing how that forum is getting quite a work out at the moment but this will again mean more work for us mods so we'll keep it to the Aust. Bird Image forum for the minute.