Thread: Optimizing images for digital projection

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Default Optimizing images for digital projection

I have a few talks lined up this year for various camera and birding clubs and wonder what would be the best way to optimize images for the projections? Would standard web-size (eg. 1000-pixels wide optimized for the web) be best? Or does the projector throw a curved ball into the equation or is it practically the same as the image I see on my LCD screen? Thanks.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Optimizing images for digital projection

Given the high resolution available with some projectors I would try and have the image in the largest resolution possible.
    It's the same as if you took an image that's been sized at 800px on the long side, but your PC monitor resolution is set to 1024. The image wont be as crisp as it would be if your image was sized to the same resolution as your monitor. Instead the 800px image will be stretched or upsized to 1024px resulting in a soft image.

What's the presentation about?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good topic Akos, I have a talk to give later in the year to Camberwell Camera club and I would love some info on this topic given that I will be presenting images on their digital projector.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I am anticipating at least four talks. One for Penrith RSL Camera Club in late October and prior to that at least one BMBO (birders) and a couple more different wildlife conservation groups. Basically the themes will vary with the camera club mainly concerned about more of the technical side I guess and the rest more on the connecting with nature side. Phew.....

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Really depends on the projector Akos, but having said that if you're using powerpoint it all goes out the window as it tends to do its own thing with images. Ideally you want the image the same size as it will appear in the presentation pixel wise when projected. If you use Irfanview it will allow pixel for pixel projection albeit without fancy borders and labelling.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages