Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Music Player for bird calls?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default What Music Player for bird calls?

I am in the process of looking for a music player for bird call funtion. What do you all have and recommend? I was thinking of a standard mp3 player and a seperate set of external speakers. Any thoughts?
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: What Music Player for bird calls?

I am using an 8GB iPod touch with a set of detachable speakers. I also have an 8 metre speaker cable to seperate the speaker from the photographer if needed. Oh yeah and I also use the sports armband for the iPod which wraps around my lens nicely and frees my hands up to use the camera

If budget is a factor, a cheapie MP3 will still do the job just fine, but you need one with a display so you can search for the call you want easily. I was using a 2gb refurbished Sandisk player I bought off of evil bay for about $30 but you can get much better value than that these days. Just punch in refurbished mp3on the e-bay search.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use an iPhone (iPod touch would also work), it is loud enough and you can buy the 'birdbook' App (Unfortunately Marcombe) it costs $36.99 it has all the pics from the field guide and an excellent range of calls. The field guide and the BOCA cd's costs almost $300....(does anyone want my BOCA cd's?)
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

When you say set of speakers, I'd suggest birds aren't too worried about stereo sound. Altec lansing makes a nice portable speaker, very good battery life on it and good sound.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I started off with a Lazar mp3 player and only loaded up the bird songs for the region that I was in, if there were 26 songs I had to flip through all the songs to the one I wanted and soon got sick of that.

This was connected to a Altec IMT227 that is about fist size and puts out a lot of sound and has good battery life for the 3 AAA in it. Still a good unit and cost about $60 from Harvey Norman.

I have up graded the MP3 to a Itune Mono Generation 6 that has 8GB of storage. I now have over 650 bird song on it.

On the Mono I can store the songs as albums and create song list of the area that I am in, this works better and with the touch screen can change songs real quick.

I have also invested in a Moshi Bassburger from DSE for about $33.00 or off EBay for the same cost; these units are the way to go as they are very small with a great output (My son brought one back from the USA and I have seen other Birders using them also) and seem to have good life when charged up with the USB charger.

With the Mono and Moshi mounted together they both fit in the palm of your hand.

If you are looking for bird songs, give me a PM and I can help you out.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks for your replies. I have the collection of bird songs, so I think im set as far as that goes. What I did yesterday was drop into Tricky Dickies (Dick Smiths) and purchased a speaker that connects to my MP3 player - $20. It comes with a longish cable to connect the MP3 and runs on both 4xAAA's and also powered through the USB port (although this wont be needed out in the field).

So ill give that a shot and look at the options discussed here later on when the speakers give up the ghost.
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I've been thinking about getting a separate speaker for my iPhone to play calls from too. Out of interest, is THIS the portable Altec speaker you guys have or recommend? Any idea on the cable length of this one? I've seen it at Officeworks and have been considering it for a while now.

The other I've seen and considered (though a little more pricey) is the Cass Creek Bighorn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

[ the portable Altec speaker you guys have or recommend? Any idea on the cable length of this one? I've seen it at Officeworks and have been considering it for a while now.

Richard, thats the one I got first, but have replaced it with the Moshi Bassburger.

I have been placing the complete unit in position then moving back and sort of hiding, about 4 meters away, it has worked for me.

I also have the calls on my phone and it's not that loud but has worked with Rufous Fantails, Beautiful Firetail and Golden Whistlers, you can hardley hear it from about 6 meters away but the birds can.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that Geoff. I bought my wife an iPod Touch for Xmas and she got those Moshi Bassburgers thrown in with it. She's just bought herself a dock instead so gave me the speakers... I hadn't even thought about using those, I'll have to give them a try!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've been using the Moshi Bassburger (attached to an 8GB iPod) for ages. Very good if you're moving around a lot and you want an extremely light portable setup. I often place it inside an old sock (cut out the heel section for easier access) and tie it to a branch.

I also use a set of wireless speakers with remote control when in my hide. Can't remember the brand ATM.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The altec linked looks like the one I have, works well and batteries last for ages.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well I done have anything as fancy as an ipod or mp3 just had some calls on a cd and used a cheap pink cd pod
    the pink colour cause its the cooks .though got a look or two . that was enough. the calls worked well
    had great results with Pardalotes, Splendid Wrens,and sittellas though looking for something much much better.
    havent used it for a while gone back to stalk and stealth mode. Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Do the mp3's you guys use have the ability to repeat the tune the same as a cd does?. I have done some research and can't find one that does.
    Thanks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The Ipod does.

Also useful is the ability put a bunch of calls in a playlist (folder) and repeat them all in series, or randomised.

cheers
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for that Aaron. I am not quite up with modern technology, as I usually just listen to the wireless..
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.