Thread: My new camouflage

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default My new camouflage

I always wanted some camouflage especially for when I was out photographing the Blue-billed Duck and Musk Duck down at Albany. That was my main purpose of trying to find something that would allow me to get closer (because I don't have a ong enough lens :cry: ) but I can see all sorts of birds I can use it for. After much searching around and emailing of birders I purchased this hide, and it arrived at Albany a week into our holiday. Needless to say I was excited and wanted to go out and use it, but the lake was very disappointing this year with almost no BBD's. Anway, I now hope I can use it for the Rainbow Bee-eaters and other shy birds. Just thought I would post up some pictures of the hide. It's very lightweight as I got the lightweight summer version, so it's not hot inside. Pics were taken using my sister as the model and were taken down at Albany, Lake Seppings. It seems to work well. I tried it out on the edge of the path and several people went past (I'm just lucky they didn't have dogs with them!)
    Here's the website: http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/k ... blind.html
    "The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing." Eric Berne

Australian Life List: 156 (Brown-headed Honeyeater) | Wordpress | Flickr

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: My new camouflage

Looking good Tim.
    I've been threatening to buy one of these myself for the best part of a year & understand your thoughts on the Rainbow Bee-eaters. Unfortunately, they seem to have an uncanny knack of perching just outside of your focal range....whatever that may be
    I dont think that you need to struggle too much with Blue-billed ducks etc though.
    Try some of the off river water past the boatshed cafe in South Perth + when it gets a bit drier take a trip to Bibra lake - you should find what your looking for

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Where do you look through or poke the lens through? I see you, but can you see me???

Nice to see someone else is thinking camouflage too. I think it will lead to more relaxed, natural behaviour photographs instead of alert, fight or flight photos.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Charleybird
    Looking good Tim.
    I've been threatening to buy one of these myself for the best part of a year & understand your thoughts on the Rainbow Bee-eaters. Unfortunately, they seem to have an uncanny knack of perching just outside of your focal range....whatever that may be
    I dont think that you need to struggle too much with Blue-billed ducks etc though.
    Try some of the off river water past the boatshed cafe in South Perth + when it gets a bit drier take a trip to Bibra lake - you should find what your looking for
    Not too sure where the area in South Perth is Karl? Is this the right place?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    Where do you look through or poke the lens through? I see you, but can you see me???

Nice to see someone else is thinking camouflage too. I think it will lead to more relaxed, natural behaviour photographs instead of alert, fight or flight photos.
    Lucky, it is one way material so I can see out but nothing can see in. Thereís also a little patch of mesh at the top where my eyes will be so I can see out clearly. There is a hole for the lens and for the flash further on from that mesh.

If you have a look at the link (below/above), you can clearly see what Iím talking about. The good thing with this is that you can sit or stand and have a tripod or not tripod, it doesnít make a difference. Of course, this product was made for professionals with the big guns, and because my lens is too small it doesnít occupy the whole lens hole, so I just use a clip.

Hereís the link: http://essentialphotogear.com/proddetai ... ikCamo-APG
    "The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing." Eric Berne

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Fantastic! Only thing is that for six months of the year here you would probably die under it from the heat! But I still want one!!!

cheers

David Taylor
    Brisbane

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Fantastic Tim enjoy.

I've been using that bag hide for over a year now and it has provided some very close encounters with shy species.
    On one occasion an Eastern Spinebill landed on a perch a foot from me and although i could not get an image I still remember every detail of its exquisite beauty.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

That'll work really well with bush birds Tim. I've got a simple piece of camo material that I drape around or throw over myself and it works a treat. The pattern is identical to this too.

One thing I've picked up though is that you need to be extremely still as any movement you make with material that's in contact with you like this is easily picked up by birds. It can really test your patience when you're under it for a long time in the heat with flies buzzing around your face and you know you can't even flinch.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sargent
    Not too sure where the area in South Perth is Karl? Is this the right place?
    Yes - Try concentrating around the first 'leg' of the letter A shape the path makes. If you lie in the grass there you should find some short lens compliant blue bills eventually.
    I was there at the beginning of the week & frequently had to just sit back & watch as the ducks were way too close
    http://www.pbase.com/charleybird/image/131050712
    http://www.pbase.com/charleybird/image/131050735 - not blue billed, but you get the idea.
    Avoid the place on the weekend or get there early

Richard - is your bag hide the lightweight 'summer' version or the heavy cloth ver?
    I was under the impresssion that they didnt rustle

karl

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charleybird
    Richard - is your bag hide the lightweight 'summer' version or the heavy cloth ver?
    I was under the impresssion that they didnt rustle
    Mine is simply a piece of camo material (about 3m x 3m) I picked up from Spotlight a couple of years back. It's very lightweight stuff and has holes in it so the material breathes well enough. It doesn't rustle at all as the material is very soft, birds do however pick up on any movement you make whilst under it or with it wrapped around you. So you need to sit/lay awfully still and only make very small, slow movements if you're moving your lens around for example.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks all for having a look and commenting.

Karl, I'm surprised I didn't see that little pond before when i was looking at the map. :roll: Thanks heaps for that, I will go there ASAP! Nice images BTW, don't mind at all if a Pink-eared Duck get's that close to me.

The material of the baghide is very soft, doesn't rustle at all which is good.

Thanks again,
    Tim

Image Reposts
    Please ask

nice purchase tim some good feedback for this baghide like karl have been checking this one out for a while now, only about 6 months in my case though, looking forward to some shots from the hide. regards mike