Thread: Anyone know how to build a website?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Anyone know how to build a website?

I have my domain, server and cpanel but I have no clue at all on how to build a new photography website.

Any help will be greatfully accepted. I google lots but it gets me nowhere. I don't know about FTP, html etc etc etc
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Anyone know how to build a website?

I would be interested to hear info on this as well as it's something I hope to do in the future; once or IF my photography improves to a level that warrants an upgrade from the flickr site

Out of interest, how much are you paying per year for your domain, etc etc, lucky?
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well you need something to build your galleries, and a html editor to build your links , about and any other page not related to your galleries.

jalbum is freeware you can use to build the galleries, has quite a range of skins to choose from many of them customisable. You then build the additional pages to match the galleries produced by jalbum. There's also a freeware html editor available, name escapes me at the moment. Unfortunately html editors are not as easy to use as for instance standard microsft apps such as word.

Then you need an FTP program to upload to your webspace. Try Filezilla, the open source FTP program which is freeware.

A book might be an idea, websites for dummies should give you a reasonable intro into how html works.

Any questions drop me an email, I can try to help you out, I know almost enough about html coding to be dangerous
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've built a few now including my own site using joomla (http://www.joomla.org/). Have a look at their website and some of the demo sites and if you are still interested I will be able to help. It is free and does not require any coding knowledge. It has advantages over options such as jalbum in that it is much more flexible. There are a lot of professionals who will built you a site using joomla. These pro sites can also give you some good ideas for the development of your own site.

Some other sites I have built: http://www.kalulusartschool.com.au/
    http://rodwarnockphotography.com/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I know this thread is getting a bit old but I'll answer anyway - just in case.

1. Register a domain (yes, I know you've already done that, but I'm talking genericaly). To register a .com.au domain for 1 year costs about $12. To register a .me domain is about half that (its Montengro, apparently). You can register a domain here http://www.ventraip.com.au/domain-names/register, or at many other sites. The hard part is thinking up a unique name.

2. Get a website (web hosting) for a year or two. I use VentraIP (tip from Gerard Satherley) which costs about $50 per year. Your website will include access to CPanel, a very powerful utility that you can use to administer your website, so no need to learn the nasties such as FTP. Your first task with CPanel will be to link your domain with your website.

3. Next build your website. You can do this the hard way or the easy way. The hard way is by coding in html or something similar. The easy way is to use a Content Management System (CMS) such as Joomla (or maybe WordPress, which is the leading product). These are free - you just download the zip file from the web, upload to your website using the file manager in CPanel, and unzip, again using CPanel. Immediately you will have Joomla functional -ready to publish your website and manage your content and providing its own management screens to do so.

4. If its Joomla, watch the videos on how to create a website. Dead easy stuff that assumes mediocre computing skills.

5. CMS's like Joomla need databases in which to store their stuff. Companies like VentraIP provide unlimited pre-installed MySQL databases to handle the database stuff, so you will need to use CPanel to create a database for Joomla to work in, and a couple of database users, and register these in Joomla.

6. CMS's like Joomla use templates to provide most of the features and structure of the website. There are thousands of templates on the web - free or at very low prices. Just download one from the web as a zip file, then upload through the admin pages of Joomla and it will be immediately installed and visible on your website, in generic form, proving magic can happen. You can make your life easy by looking for a template specifically designed for what you want to do - like a photosite template.

7. Now you need to customise the template to make it the way you want it, specify the menus and provide the content (articles and photos). If you've watched the videos there should be no mystery here. Its mostly just a matter of switching features off or on, writing articles and uploading photos through CPanel.

8. If you need extra features that the template doesnt have, search the web for a module or plugin that will do the job. This if for things like hit counters or fancy Contact Me pages or whatever. These are usually free or very cheap. Again, just download the zip file, upload to Joomla through the admin pages and it will be ready to go. Stay away from doing your own coding whereever possible - code is a liability and life is too short.

9. Now, voila, its done. Now you have your own billboard on the Nullabor, ready to be ignored by the rest of the world.

Finally, I think there are three important things to understand about doing a website using a CMS.
    1. for a simple website like you are wanting, the days of hardcore coding are over. These products assume a very mediocre level of computer skill and assume the user is interested in the content, not the technicalities.
    2. the hard part is getting started, but remember you dont need to understand everything before you get started - just get going and trust the process.
    3. if you come to something you dont understand - Google. There are millions (literally) of people in the world building websites with these CMSs and everyone runs into the same problems, so there is a community of ready answers out there for you.

cheers
    Arron

ps. I have no connection with VentraIP or Joomla, other then being a reasonably satisfied customer.
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Just adding to this, you can also use coppermine (like I do) for a quick and dirty web site presence. I build websites on the side, but havent tried building mine just yet as it gets complicated with respect to CRM (of course tools are available as Arron points out).
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Tony Hansford Guest

1. Get Mamp or Wamp and install it on your Mac (Mamp) or Wamp (pc). This will let you practice building a CMS website on your own computer.

If you want to go with a CMS like Drupal, Wordpress or Joomla, download and install the CMS and run it using Wamp or Mamp. Edit and view it on your computer without the need to go online until you are perfectly happy with how it looks and works. Then upload everything via ftp. Or install the CMS directly onto your web server, and just use Wamp/Mamp to try new plugins and modules before you install them on your online website.

2. If you want to go HTML only, just copy the source code from any website you like and save it in a text editor or Html editor. Change what you need to and then upload it to your web server using ftp.

3. Pay someone to do it for you.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sorry to hijack this thread...
    I've currently got my domain through weebly.

However, I want to build a themed template site through wordpress. Does anyone know how I go about building this on wordpress, using the domain I own through weebly?

Why is the interweb so complex?!?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJL
    Sorry to hijack this thread...
    I've currently got my domain through weebly.

However, I want to build a themed template site through wordpress. Does anyone know how I go about building this on wordpress, using the domain I own through weebly?

Why is the interweb so complex?!?
    Yep, thats a hijack for sure.
    Anyway, assuming your domain is an independent one, not a subdomain of weebly, what you need to do is purchase hosting elsewhere, repoint your domain to the new hosting, and then go ahead and build the site in wordpress.

In more detail:

1. You need a domain like www.mydomain.com.au not www.mydomain.weebly.com.au, and therefore is independent of weebly and can be moved around.
    2. Purchase hosting elsewhere from an ISP or hosting company.
    3. Most hosting companies provide a control panel page, linked to your account. This will have an option to transfer the domain name. Transfering it will automatically link it to your account and new site. 'Transferring' is essentially a matter of changing the designated registrar of the domain name. It changes who will manage your domain name and invoice you for the yearly fees. There may be a fee for this.
    4. The important thing, the thing that everyone gets bitter and twisted over, is that the change wont happen straight away. You need to wait a few days for the change to get propagated around the internet. You dont know how long to wait, just keep checking for a few days.
    cheers
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Arron

I'll check it out tonight if I have a moment.. really want to get this site up and running in the next few weeks.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Adam, why "wordpress", I found this particular CMS software to lack flexibility. If you are starting from scratch I think you will have more options and flexibility with Joomla. Google Wordpress vs Joomla.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I built my own website (in my signature).. it's based on a Wordpress install with a completely customised theme. Feel free to ask me any questions should you have any, I know a little about web design and development.