Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Phototwitch - Post event discussion

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default 2010 Phototwitch - Post event discussion

Since the event is now officially underway, I thought we should have a thread for those wishing to discuss their exploites on the phototwitch.... 8-)
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: 2010 Phototwitch - Post event discussion

I spent a good few hours out and about today trying my hand with this phototwitch. I had a few surprises in the birds I saw even though the weather wasn't real nice (thick overcast and light rain on and off). All up it was a lot of fun but I won't have my official tally until after I've made a few posts in the ID forum I think

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Today Phototwitch rained out for me, I tried but gave up as my camera started getting too wet; had a practice run yesterday at least had some gaps to photograph birds in a light drizzle for the first few hours, the last 4 hours was a write off; will submit that. I'm kicking myself as I didn't stop to photograph some common species in the first few hours as I thought I'll get them later and I had to be at the wader roost site at high tide (this was a waste as there were none...) All this rain has driven the waders from SE QLD, not even a BW stilt or sharpie...
    Hopefully we'll have sunshine for next year!
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've still got 2 hours left - I'm taking it easy - there's no way I'll beat the hardcore phototwitchers In the next two hours, I still need Swallow, Lorikeet and Koel...
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Up here in the mountains itís been close to rain all day. :cry:
    Canít get to my best bird spot, as the creek is about 1 meter too high.
    Local dam full for first time in 11 years, and Lake Wallace is flowing over the spillway and most of the birds are having a break some were else, as they are not here.
    Got some good shots of about 150 Cormorants sitting on the pump tower at Lake Lyell Dam and about 50 Masked Lapwings at Lake Wallace, so that makes 200 birds, thatís the way it works?????
    Just kidding that only 2.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Today. (Censored by mods) species in 8 hours. . Not a very impressive total, due to gear failure and the fact that most any kind of waterbird has gone west.

Top photos was this very confiding Bazza lunching on a giant phasmid at Cattai nature reserve. Also at Cattai were two very low flying wedge tailed eagles. I think maybe they were feeding on a carcase or something just north of the convict pond as they were rising steeply from this area as I approached. Top missed opportunity was a sparrowhawk at Longneck lagoon with a recent kill in its talons, which I put up twice but could not refind.

The most outstanding thing is how emply some of my regular haunts are. Mason Park had no waders at all (unless you call stilts waders). Bicentennial Park waterbird refuge had only a couple of ducks and a family of swans. Pitt Town lagoon had no waterbirds that I could see and Long neck lagoon had nothing on the water at all. Mitchell Park was closed, leaving me with no wet-forest plan B.

cheers
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

So have we decided to post our results publicly?
    I did mine yesterday, but haven't gone public because the rules say not to? Is this still the case?

I had a great time, either way, just a real shame about the weather. :x

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Here's my report if anyone wants to read it
    http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/
    I've blanked out my total until the results are announced, but I was pretty happy with it considering I just went to Warriewood, Long Reef and my house 8-)
    Last edited by Joshua Bergmark; 16-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The big rain hit Brisbane today so sadly the twitch was not possible for me - litearlly poured rain for hours in Brisbane

Hopefully I will do the next one

David Taylor
    Brisbane

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If everyone who played can e-mail me a list of species photographed and include their images (use a contact sheet in photoshop or whatever you use to put them in one or two jpegs). I will then share with the mods and we'll confirm a winner.

My e-mail is darryl.luck@hotmail.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Congrats to all who played. I only did 4 hours and a half hearted attempt at that, but still did ok. I saw many more species than I photographed due to driving with nowhere to pull over or just couldn't be stuffed trying to chase them. :roll:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ashy is right, please don't post your totals yet, they will be announced in due time. I did not as well as I expected I would. Found the same thing as Aaron, lots of places I thought would be winners ended up being quite empty

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I had a great time today. Grant, Rob and I went out together for company and competition and had an awesome time. Went out west of the Hunter to Bulga (near Broke) and then back to Walka Water Works at Maitland, then Stockton and a very brief flying visit to Ash Island to finish. Who got the best of the three of us may come down to one or two species. (...will Grant's Channel-billed Cuckoo be identifiable??? )
    We were really lucky with weather and it didn't really affect us at all which was a nice bonus. Can't believe we dipped on Ibis ....well a pair did fly in 1 minute after our finish time!!

As Ashy and Paul have already pointed out - please don't post your totals.
    Also no need to send all your images to Lucky at this stage. Just a list PM'd to the moderators will be fine. If you could make sure you include the state and then locations you went to that would be great and quite interesting.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I missed White Ibis too Couldn't believe it at the end, when I realised I'd gone the day without seeing a bird which nests in large numbers only a couple of hundred metres from my house. I also failed to photograph Pied Currawong, which I saw four times during the eight hours

Writing up my tally now, should send it through in a few minutes. Looking forward to comparing to others, soon enough...

EDIT: Which mods should we be PM'ing the list to?

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Just got back a couple of hours ago from a 2 day trip with Peter (feral1) on which we conducted our Phototwitch yesterday (4th). We spent our time in the Adelaide Hills at Laratinga Wetlands, then headed east to drier areas at a couple of locations, Monarto Woodlands, Rocky Gully Lagoon then Monarto Conservation Park. The last location where I expected to get a few nice woodland birds was cut really short when we got hit by a thunderstorm.

The weather was, for the most part far too hot. Upwards of 38 and as a result many birds I fully expected to get were absent as they were more sensibly hidden away from the heat, unlike us moronic Phototwitchers. So despite dipping on quite a few species, I'm still pretty surprised and pleased with my efforts! I expect Peter to have a similar number, with a slight variation in species.

After the twitch we headed south to the Coorong and spent most of today looking around at waders and waterbirds. It was an enjoyable (though far too short!) trip and I saw at least 3 new species, including a brief sighting of a Malleefowl (I was chuffed!) and an ENORMOUS flock of Banded Stilts (a new one for me), where there was many thousand birds!