Thread: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 7/11/10 "NO PAIN, NO GAIN"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 7/11/10 "NO PAIN, NO GAIN"

I've just come back from a 600km round trip to go and see the nesting Peregrines in Gippsland that Lucky reported the other day (trip report tomorrow ) so I thought it might make a good topic if we share how far and to what lengths we have gone to get an image. Maybe you have just come home with scraped knees and elbows, or perhaps with wet feet and smelling of wet dog. Or you might have travelled half way across the continent to get that special image of that rare or threatened species. Either way its a good chance to have a whinge and share some war stories about what we go through as birders and bird photographers

My whinge is as follows:-

1. Countless mosquito bites.
    2. Pissed on by a possum (no joke)
    3. Forked out too much money ($20) for 4 of the "best and most powerful" AA batteries for my flash only to find they are crap :x
    4. Construction of flimsy hide 6 metres high in a scary dead tree which resulted in cuts, bruises etc etc
    5. Rained on for three nights straight

Blah, blah, blah

Southern Boobook chick (Ninox novaehollandiae)

Canon 5D 600mm f4 L (non IS) iso 800 1/400th f11 Manual mode, hand held rested on tree branch
    Photoshop- burnt in some BG foliage, sharpen
    [attachment=0:2j05hqbj]IMG_73121.JPG[/attachment:2j05hqbj]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_73121.JPG  

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 7/11/10 "NO PAIN, NO GAIN"

Never would I whinge - well not when birding and only when I get home. The Broome trip was an endurance test for sure for me. It had unseasonal hot humid weather 40 degrees plus. We were boiled by 8.30am. I had a skin reaction either to mosquito stuff or sunscreen and had welts on my legs and arms. I soldiered on and was not giving in as I went down to the mangroves yet again. Walked 3 or so km to the mangroves very early and then back in the heat around 9.30am (that was hard - I am used to hot weather to) I never usually react to mosquitoes, but did that time.

I have gotten lost and in trouble with my husband for being so silly, forgotten the time and got home when dark, in trouble with hubby again (thankfully he laughs most of the time). Lost my mobile phone, never to be found again and started to sink in the mangroves and got slightly worried (are there crocodiles here I often wondered).

But, when I got this image - I forgot what I was so worried about and had the best time with my brother when in Broome.

Yellow Chat

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

There's no way i can compete with these stories (thankfully!), but I was sh*t upon getting this... (I would add that big fruit eating birds are quite prolific in the faecal department..., especially when eating figs)

Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Ptilinopus magnificus.

(PS Apologies for IQ - I've yet to get a clear shot in good light and not way up a tree - this about a 50% crop)
    trying to photograph what my mind's eye sees....

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

EXTREME COLD, -2 degrees at Murray Sunset NP Vic. A great birding area but in the middle of Winter
    under canvas it can get very chilly. It was so cold that our breath froze on the roof inside
    our campertrailer. We keep our camera gear in a large insulated container & when setting up for the
    days photography always have trouble with our lenses fogging up.
    Regards Keith & Judy

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well I'm not adverse to driving to see and photograph new birds, but seeing and getting some record images of Regent Honeyeaters definately takes the cake! I made 3 trips from the Gold Coast (to Capertee Valley, Kitchener and Putty Rd in NSW) all 1800-2000km round trips, only successfully locating the birds the 3rd time. I got driven of the road by a truck (my little corolla still has the scar). All these trips were made over one day; ie leaving home at about 10pm getting at the sites around 7-8am driving back after dark to start work again the next evening. It was definately worth it, although my images aren't great, I'm still happy to have images of this now critically endagered gem of a bird. I have posted a different (better IMO) image of this same bird in the forums a while back.

I have also had a less than pleasant Pelagic experience; no I wasn't sick (have never been). Our boat wouldn't start when we were supposed to leave the continental shelf, we were at least 4 hours away from shore. They had to call someone to come and tow us back, it took ages....to top it all it was the slowest (read boring) pelagic I've ever been on. Well we were supposed to back at 4-5pm and I start work at 8pm, we only got to the harbour at 00:30, at least I had a good excuse, the Coastguard called work to tell them that I'll be very late. I felt so sorry for this one bloke, it took him a few years to get enough courage to do another pelagic trip (he was really sick on his first one) it was rough and he was as sick as I've seen anyone and he was on the water for about 20h. He will never do a pelagic again.
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

This one was a lot of pain and very little gain. Clouds of mosquitoes, tons of rain and my harddrive with the original image was destroyed
    ....still want to go back and try for more shots though :P
    Regards, Jeremy

My photos - http://www.redbubble.com/people/jweiss/art

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Tempted to stalk closer to a group of Marsh Sandpipers at the weekend, forgetting that the lagoon edge that was dry last week would be wet as it had rained overnight 70 meters or so is not far, but taking it slow and low thru the long (wet and sharp) grass, avoiding spider webs and spiders, ignoring mozzie and fly bites and trying not to think about snakes or slip on the very slick mud got me as close as I could get in about 10 minutes. Some OK shots of the MSPs and then I noticed the Black Tailed Godwit (a first for me on the Towncommon), a couple of OK shots of it and I was happy....then the real gain, standing quitely at the lagoon edge a little way off was a Latham Snipe often seen on the far bank but not often as close as this one. Perhaps not close enough but he saw me as I saw him, much to my suprise he carried on feeding as long as I stayed still :P , pictured below having words with a sharpie over a mud patch.

40D, 100-400L @ 400, AP, 1/250th, F10, iso400.

[attachment=0:5ao5qdxg]towncommon 061110.jpg[/attachment:5ao5qdxg]
    Ed