Thread: Kingston 600x CF

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Kingston 600x CF

Has anyone tried the new Kingston Ultimate CompactFlash 600x Memory Card yet? I was wondering how it performs against the more conventional Sandisk Extreme Pro and Lexar 600x.
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Kingston 600x CF

Eric,

quite a camera specific question. this link has a lot of data, not sure hoe up to date it is.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera ... =6007-9257

Performance in camera is quite camera specific and unless you are using something in the 1 series (MkIII plus) range, you won't get much advanatage to faster cards as the camera can't write any faster.

On the other side downloading is card reader specific and sourcing a card reader that will do more than 30MB/sec may not be that easy and again read speed is related to the card reader/ CF card combination. The only way to get a significant advance in download speed based on the tables in the link above would be to be using this card reader:

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_ ... adsacf.asp

I recall seeing a post a few weeks back on the Hoodman CF cards, they seem to be the latest and greatets in high speed cards both from speed and reliability viewpoint. Here's a link:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... dman+cards
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for this Chris. Yes I have checked out Rob Galbrath's site numerous times to check but the Kingston is too new to be in their reviews. I have already purchased it from B&H (taking advantage of the high Aussie Dollar against the greenback) hence I should be able to give a report on this card in the near future.

I also bought the Lexar Expresscard CF reader as the Addonics products are not available on B&H (would have loved the eSATA card reader).

Hoodman's CF is 675x is the current industry fastest but it cost 3 times the price of the Kingston (USD500 vs USD 140). Hence I guess the Kingston would be value for a marginally slower performance (I am hoping). The other to look at is the Delkin Combatflash 625X

Thanks again

E
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Got the Kingston CF and took it out for a couple of test runs. NOT IMPRESSED. Very slow write and read speed despite being rated at 600x. On my 7D, it writes significantly slower than my Lexar 300x 8GB card, and just marginally faster than my old 133x 4GB cards. Upon depleting the buffer of the 7D, it takes at least 3 seconds to write before the next shot could be fired.

It is good economical large storage for non-speed critical use, but otherwise quite a dissappointment for my typical avian photography use.

NOT RECOMMENDED for Avian Photography

Eric
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Eric for your comments.
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net