Thread: tripod and head.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default tripod and head.

yep need one of these that's for sure.... not sure how many tripod users on the forum some post some don't
    heaps of homework required here as i only want one (have a lightweight) as do most chugging some heavy gear around with a series one body and an older 600, i have ordered a gitzo GT 3530 LS and a wimberley 2 head
    anybody use this setup can't wait to get it tripod from adorama and the head from b+h. now i have to come up with a sweetener for my wife as she will remain in the dark untill post day so as it goes i will now have to buy an olympus 70-300 as well.......for her it just gets worse..... :P

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: tripod and head.

Congrats! You've done the right thing. I use that tripod and it is fantastic. I currently use RRS 55 ballhead (with my 300 + TC setup) but my intention is to get a Wimberley II head when I get a 500 or 600 lens.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

thanks for the reply geoff glad somebody here has the model, was going to get the xls but think it might be to high fully extended has an extra extension plus the head has some height as well allthough the redisigned mark2 is a bit shorter, the RRS 55 ballhead is the bee's knees i'm currently using a arcatech ultimate on my monopod which is more than adequate for the 300 2.8 but when i slap the 600 on it i can move the rig at full lockup pretty inadequate that's for sure length = leverage is the basic equasion, i don't mind using the monopod i know there is a lot of opponents out there, disadvantages include no hide work at all, not being able to take your hands off the rig which in my case is the biggest drawback, minimal stability gain. cheers

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Seems like the way to go with the 600, there are about 3 models or so of the 35xx series Gitzo. my preference is for a 3 section tripod with no center column, only downside is it is longer for travelling. I use a Gitzo 1325 and ArcaSwiss B1 with my 500mm and it does a great job.

It appears you know you'll need a ballhead as well. there are devices you can get to quickly mount your ball head in the wimberley quick release to allow you snap a scenic shot or a macro shot for instance. The wimberley doesn't allow you to rotate the camera unless you are using a lens with a tripod collar.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

thanks chris, some nice steady gear there as well. should be able to mount the acratech ultimate in there if needed, some kind of base plate will be required, i have this plate on the 300 and it is to short was going to get a longer one should be able to attach the ball head to it so as i can mount it on the wimberley if required, allthough my shortest lens is the 85 keg mark 1. regards

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    ...now i have to come up with a sweetener for my wife as she will remain in the dark untill post day
    Well Mikey theres an upside to that... when you get kicked out of the house you got plenty of time to shoot
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Image Reposts
    Please ask

no drama carlos.... 70-300 olympus is on it's way, basically a 140-600 focal length on her 620, which evens us up as far as focal length goes.... in the past i copped flack over how close one needs to get with just 300 she tends to try and sneak in closer which in turn makes the subject take flight :x so i have to be quick

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have that tripod and head and I find it works wonderfully with my Canon 500 L; steady as a rock. It is easily high enough as I am six foot tall and I never have it fully extended. Only problem I have is working out how to carry it all through the bush, it is a little difficult and arkward.

Peter

Image Reposts
    Please ask

thanks peter, 5 11 myself and it's good to here about that moving is another stepping stone should be here tomorrow, looking at a lounge room setup to start.... and then on to the backyard 8-) regards.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

tripod, head and olympus lens delivered yesterday been pi@$ing down ever since :cry: initial testing and set up have been very impressive the fluid movement of this head is really quite extrordinary tripod has chunky carbon tubes is super smooth in operation and solid as a rock, together not as heavy as expected @ 5,11 myself wont be fully extending the legs unless standing on a milk crate wife had a go on the back verandah with the 2x tele on and said (quote) OMG i can use this now..... i said yes honey..... :roll:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Have you got a photo of this setup mikey? Did you need to purchase a lens plate as well?
    Adam Blyth Photography on Facebook
    Now on flickr
    Canon 1D X | Canon EOS 7D II | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 500mm f4L II IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | EF Extender 2x III | 600EX II-RT | Gitzo 3532LS | M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal

Image Reposts
    Please ask

sorry for the slow reply adam... post a pic up later, had to get a lens plate so bought a wimberley p50, got it from cameras direct price was ok

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    post a pic up later
    :P
    Adam Blyth Photography on Facebook
    Now on flickr
    Canon 1D X | Canon EOS 7D II | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 500mm f4L II IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | EF Extender 2x III | 600EX II-RT | Gitzo 3532LS | M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal