Thread: Exposure

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Exposure

Just learnt something new this arvo. Went back to get some more shots of the Dollar bird. He was sitting on top of the dead palm tree again and every now and again fly off grab an insect then land again. I thought this would be a good chance to get a nice landing shot. I focused on the bird then checked and set the exposure. The bird took off so I have my finger ready and just viewing the bird in flight without looking through the camera, in he comes .... click,click,click,,,,,..... on hi speed. All the shots are under. I blocked the light from the view finder and the exposure on the camera body reads right, take your hand away and the difference was about 1 1/2 stops under. A trap for new players, even old ones!! Ended up getting some more of him. Jack.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Exposure

Well done Jack, thanks for sharing. Not many people know that the view finder can let light into the camera body and put your metering off (especially when the sun is behind you).

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I certainly didn't know that!
    Adam Blyth Photography on Facebook
    Now on flickr
    Canon 1D X | Canon EOS 7D II | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 500mm f4L II IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | EF Extender 2x III | 600EX II-RT | Gitzo 3532LS | M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Leaving the viewfinder uncovered when using liveview or similar can most definitely have large impacts on exposure. Most canon cameras nowadays come with a neck strap which actually contains a piece of plastic which you can slide over the viewfinder to cover so as not to let stray light in. On the higher models like the 1D Mark IV, it is a little lever that you switch down which flicks a cover over the viewfinder.

Most camera manuals should allude you to this problem; I know all Canon cameras do but cannot say for other models.

Well done for figuring this out though, Jack. Some would have blamed their camera and thought it was defective so good on you for working out the problem
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Jack
    I had read in the 7D manual regarding this but in my tests I find the variation in exposure very small even with the sun shining on to the view finder.

Did you get CS5 from China ?.

Andy.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yes, this is critical for exposure! I do landscape photography as well and always place the eyepiece cover on when shooting (taking it off when composing). I noticed once (for experimentation) that a 10 second exposure with the eye piece on was down to 8 seconds without, that a significant amount of time and underexposure as a result.

I am actually thinking of buying the eyecup for birding as my face/eye doesnt cover the eyepiece and im sure some light is affecting exposure also, although at a minumum.

Cheers,
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net