Thread: Kenko 1.4TC

Big Pix Guest

Default Kenko 1.4TC

I have had 1 outing with my Sigma 50-500 and the Kenko1.4TC. Although I found the auto focus a tad fussy, overall the results have been very good. This system on auto focus works well on a sunny day, but does tend to hunt on an overcast day.

All the pixs I have posted so far have been using this system.......

Default Re: Kenko 1.4TC

Thanks BP, I have been wondering about the Kenko 1.4x.
    I have a Tamron and it takes a while to lock on with AF.
    And you need quite a bit of contrast for it to lock on..

You need a sunny day with lots of light anyway,, imho..

I have the Kenko and think it is wonderful. Produces very good IQ and is very good with AF.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_happ
    I have a Tamron and it takes a while to lock on with AF.
    And you need quite a bit of contrast for it to lock on..

You need a sunny day with lots of light anyway,, imho..
    I would expect this to be the case Steve as the 40D will only AF to f/5.6, any AF you get with a 40D and 400/5.6 + 1.4x is a bonus IMO, i wouldn't be blaming the Tamron for this.

yeah , you are right dan.
    I think Canon do not recommend the 400/5.6 to be used with a TC at all.
    I dont think they recommend a TC to be used over f/4 or something like that.. afaik..
    I have used mine about twice..

I disagree with that, on my 1D body both my 100-400 and Lucky's 400/5.6 produced very good results, the prime in particular.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have the Kenko and the Canon 1.4x TC's. I've used them both for quite some time and really can't tell the difference. My only gripe with the Kenko is the mechanisim to unlocak the lens is actually easy to bump while walking arround. A few week's ago while walking about in the dark looking for owls I dropped my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 from this very reason!

I did a comparison some time ago see: 1.4x Teleconverter Comparison

Cheers.

Agree with Craig, optically the results are excellent. My gripe would be the build quality and weather sealing, my Kenko tends to jiggle around slightly while the Canon is firm and solid when attached to the lens and camera body.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

anyone recommend a store in Sydney to buy a kenko 1.4x? I have my tax cheque and am ready to start shopping
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Fleabay

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Having problems with taping the pins on the Kenko 1.4. I thought it was the left 3 contacts on the side that connects to the camera that needed taping? The camera side has 8 pins but the lens side has more (9-11). I taped the camera side three and had no aperture reading at all so that wasn't right.
    I am thinking this might be like the tamron one I had prviously that couldn't be taped, however everyone else seems to be able to tape the pins on theirs?
    It's the pro 300 version BTW.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Big Pix Guest

....... and no tapping

I was as close as possible so to use a little manual focus on the eye..... focus this close can be a little fussy, and yes there are one or 2 dust bunnies......

D700, Bigma + kenko 1.4 500th@7.1 500ISO Hand held leaning on the chair arm 60% crop

Bumping this thread again as I have some extra info regarding the Kenko that may be usefull.

I've got the Kenko Pro 300 1x4 TC and image quality loss is marginal, AF is still good on my Tokina 300mm f2.8, though slower and some increased CA occurs.

I've just discovered over recent weeks one problem with the cheaper Kenko TC. I generaly carry my camera, 300mm and TC attatched to my tripod and supported over my shoulder and lug it around the bush for many hours quite often. Although IQ of the Kenko Pro 300 is great, I have found the build quality of it a little questionalble. The constant jiggling whilst carrying the kit has loosened the connections between lens/camera and TC to the point where it is quite slack and missed shots are occurring due to electronic contacts being slightly misaligned....can be very frustrating !

This has taken several months of almost daily use for this to occur, but the incidence of missed shots due to poor contacts from electronic pins is increasing as the mounts wear more and more. I do tend to lug my set up through some harsh terrain a lot so I guess one can expect above normal use wear and tear....not sure how the build quality compares to Canon or Nikon TC's.
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin