Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 24/10/10 "STEP BACK IN TIME"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 24/10/10 "STEP BACK IN TIME"

This week we're gonna go back.......way back....back in time. Back to when you first started taking photos of birds. Tell us about your first camera, the obstacles you had to get across and show us an image from "back in the day".
    My first camera was a 4 megapixel Kodak point and shoot with 10 X optical zoom. I used it on auto mode 99% of the time so I did'nt learn much about the basics of shutter speed and aperture until I got my next camera but it did get my foot in the door in terms of stalking and other field craft.
    I miss the fact that it was so small but the image quality left a lot to be desired.

Black shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris)

Kodak DX6490 1/500th f3.7
    [attachment=0:3r6wb1rq]pauly 067.JPG[/attachment:3r6wb1rq]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 24/10/10 "STEP BACK IN TIME"

Excellent idea for a thread Paul. It should be great to read how other people got involve in this obsession.. er I mean hobby.

My first camera was a panasonic Lumix FZ-7 with 4(?) MP and 12x zoom. We brought it in late 2006 for our African trip. I saw and photographed quite a lot of birds and started to photograph birds as soon as we got back. The rest they say is history.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I dont have to go back too far for my first cam, well, decent cam! It was the good old Panasonic FZ28 with 18x optical zoom, which I often used with a nikon 1.5x extender. I got it as a present about 2 years ago and used it almost exclusively in Aperture Priority, which for a P&S is pretty close to being auto as one tends to stick to the lower apertures due to defraction.

Before that, I have a 6MP Canon A720 (i think??) and prior to that, mum's old minolta film camera. The FZ28 was the first camera I used for birding, so can't share any bird photos from the older cameras.

Laughing Kookaburra with a big, fat OOF tree in the BG

Panasonic FZ28, ISO 100, f/4.4, 1/500s.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ive come quite a distance in 10 years! .............Well Pauls theme to step back in time has made me dig deep into my CD archives and I thought i would put forward just about the worst of my early shots - I started bird photography more seriously in the late 1990s and this image taken about 10 years ago - cant believe I had it stored as a keeper but there you go..... now in my defence it was taken digiscoping - combination of a Nikon Coolpix 4500 and my Swarovski ATS65 scope and one of a number of brackets, gizmos and aids to supposedly make it all work! I never could master it ( though did take some better than this) - however I do realise some people get great results from digiscoping! I will not forget the joy when I bought my first DSLR - a Canon 350D and a Sigma 50 -500mm lens - served me well till i upgraded to my current kit.

So here you have my year 2000 file I thought at the time was OK! ....... digiscoped masterpiece - out of focus, appalling background, terrible comps. badly famed - you name it... its bad, bad, bad!

Hopefully Ive come a little way - but the great thing is that at every level we can always do better and i hope i can continue to improve my work

Oh by the way - its a Singing Honeyeater photographed at Port Campbell ( and Ive never photographed one since!)

cheers

David Taylor
    Brisbane

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I've always wanted to get into bird photography but found the cost of cameras and in particular, lenses prohibitive. Although I did have a Nikon 801s SLR for a few years before hand, it never got used for anything much other than snapshots and the odd macro.

So I started mucking around with birds and an old Canon P&S (3.2mp 3x optical zoom) back in 2001. I only upgraded to a dSLR in late 2007 (350D & 70-300mm IS USM) which is when I took up the hobby more seriously.

This was one such image taken with the P&S. Meet, Mr. Murray. He and his family, were regular visitors to my yard back in 2001. On the odd occasion I'd give them some mealworms as a treat and he'd bring down his kids to share.

[attachment=0:28tdal2m]MrMurray.jpg[/attachment:28tdal2m]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

OK, spurred on by Paul - here's the first bird shot I can remember taking - Black Noddies on Lord Howe Island 2007

[attachment=0:2esjt3j7]Heron 7.JPG[/attachment:2esjt3j7]
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

...and while I'm at it - here's the LAST PHOTO TAKEN before I had the bright idea to start ticking off birds in my Simpson and Day Field Guide. Mallee Ringnecks - the birds that started it all

EDIT - Forgot - this was taken with a point and shoot April last year - can't remember the exact type

[attachment=0:qr4fqucg]P4130173.JPG[/attachment:qr4fqucg]
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well im a little embarrassed to say that I have only been into photography for less than a year. However, the shot below is what got me hooked when I borrowed my fathers Nikon and played with the gulls panning with them. The shot below is not cropped, so you can see I wasnt keeping up!

Taken 28 Dec 2009 - F5.6, 1/800s, S Mode, ISO100, 240mm FL
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Took this with Charlies' point n shoot whilst out camping @ Wilsons Prom in Spring 2006 (dont remember the make -sorry)
    I'm not sure that its the first bird photo either of us had tried making, but it was the prompt to invest in some better equipment
    [attachment=0:3278fdly]Camping-808.jpg[/attachment:3278fdly]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Another firsts; This is my oldest Red-necked Stint image from Longy. July 2008

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I got my first camera not that long ago, A Nikon D55 (I think) film DSLR (Digital was already widely available...., but I decided film was better.....) Well I didn't take many pictures of birds and didn't learn much, as it was always on auto and I usually had the films developed months after taking the pictures....I only have a handful of bird images from this time, a pitty as I saw some amazing African birds.
    I finally came to my senses and got my first Digital camera a Nikon D40x at the end of 2007, this image of the Rufous Tree-creeper (the first bird I photographed digitally), what is amazing is that the image was taken with the kit lens a 18-55mm lens and is presented full frame; a really tame bird (I was with a friend and have no idea where this was taken, a carpark at some tourist site in SW WA).
    All I need now is a nice big lens.....
    Enough ranting from me; here is the image.
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My digital photography days began with my KodakZ650 back in mid 2006, and I was thrilled with its 10xoptical zoom and 6.1mp. Its downfall was it's lack of IS, which I later discovered resulted in a whole host of only just blurry images in the slightest of low light conditions. The camera has served me well though, I've taken several thousand imags on it, some of which I am really proud of, others of which are hardly even good for ID. This image is a mediocre one. The conditions were reasonably dark in the woodland, with overcast skies, and the bird high up, but the bird is sharp. And I was just pleased to get a sharp image of one of these gorgeous birds. The Pileated Woodpecker, snapped in Florida, 2009. I can't wait to get back there with my DSLR.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Going back in time, a good theme, as over the years think have changed a lot and how easy is it now with the digital gear.

Well I started off with a Kodak 1A back in 1962 and it was hit and misses in those days, all shots were in B&W until we started to get slide film in colour.

Over the years, when I could, my equipment improved, as more gear came onto the market, I have had Pentex , Olympus, Nikon, however when I first got a Canon AE1 Program things started to improve we were into the new tech age, auto exposure but still manual focus. Lenses were still costing an arm and a leg; however I could now afford to buy Zoom lens.

I started off with a 80 to 200mm, now did that make a big difference in getting bird shots, auto tele converter 2X gave me 400mm, this was huge back in the 1980ís, I also splashed out on a F8 500mm Tokina lens.
    Now time to upgrade to Canon A1 them a real leap, Canon ESO 1000f (High Speed Autofocus).

This camera had reduced noise level, actual noise when you take the picture.

I spent a lot of money on getting films developed only to find I missed the shot.

About 7 years ago I was talked into by my son to get a Digital camera, a FinePix A210 as this was the way to go; this was soon upgraded to a FinePix S5600 and this made taking photo of birds real easy with the Zoom facility, I was getting good results and 6,000 shots later, it was dropped and stopped working, so I got the new model, a FinePix S100fd and this is too slow to focus, a real let down.

As I was retired by now and spend a lot of time in our caravan, I decided to get a new Canon, so I got the Canon 450D Twin lens Kit, then I splashed out and got the Sigima DG 150-500 this was great 25,000 shots later, a Canon 550D is also in the case.

Looking at the shots on this site, I like the results that the Canon 100-400 lens gets, so this week I got a new Canon 100-400 lens, Canon Flash and a Better Beamer is on the way, to hopefully, get some better results.

This shot is one of the best that I produced over the years, before digital.

A lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of photos, but most of all, a lot of fun.
    Regards, Geoff Brown LITHGOW NSW

Reposts welcome

Flicker Account http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_brown/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Have always photographed anything that moved, have been a bird watcher since about 1965 pre digital, a long list of cheaper SLRs and some very 'iffy' lens and extenders. Digital started for me in 2003 with a Olympus C730UZ, and I've just been looking back over those pictures and I'm not showing any , upgrade to a DMC-FZ30 in Jan 2006 and things got a lot better, a good camera which we still use for general photos. Started with the Canon 40D/100-400L combo in Sept '09.

The picture I have chosen is pre digital, not by far my first bird picture but one that made me long for better gear....
    Taken on a trip around the Scotish Highlands and Islands back in '86, would love to go back with my current gear...

Puffins on Fair Isle, June 86, can't remember camera or lens, scanned fron slide.
    [attachment=0:1nuxwfpc]puffins Fair Isle 1986.jpg[/attachment:1nuxwfpc]
    Ed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

It's very hard for me to put down exactly when I took my very first bird photograph (probably in the 70's on my Kodak Instamatic Camera), but I started taking nature and avian photographs seriously in the late 80's. It was the time when manual-focused lens and positive film (aka slides) was the norm. I started with a Nikon EM with a cheap 75-300mm. Over the next few years, I have painfully upgraded my camera bodies to FM2, FE2 (x3), F801, F90X, and my lenses to Tokina 400mm f5.6, Sigma APO 400mm f5.6 (x2), Nikkor 400mm f5.6, before finally settling down with a Nikkor 500 f4P.. all of which I still own and collecting dust in my dry-cabi.
    I entered into the digitalSLR age only in Sept 2004 with the Nikon D70, a birthday gift from my wife. The very first avian image taken with my the D70 was only made in Feb 2005, and it was with my manual f4P lens on a captive bird in the open aviary of the famous Singapore Bird Park

Asian Fairy-bluebird
    Chloropsis cochinchinensis

Jurong Bird Park, Singapore
    20th February 2005
    male (captive bird)
    Nikon D70, Nikkor 500mm f4P
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond