Thread: Has any had some experience with Digital World International

Default Has any had some experience with Digital World International

I'm looking to buy a Sigma APO 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens and these guys have it at the right price and give you a 12 month Australian warranty. Just wondering if anyone can recommend buying from DWI?

Cheers
    Tom

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Has any had some experience with Digital World International

I would try and find out what sort of warranty is offered, i.e. does it get fixed by techs here or do they send it back where it came from for repair and do they actually have stock? (do they charge your card then order it in on a slow boat?)

Looking at prices DWI has it for 918, Camera direct 1097 and digidirect 1111. It's $14 difference between cameras direct a grey importer others have dealt with on this site and gets good reports and Digidirect who are a non grey importer.

DWI is cheaper for a reason, my thoughts are there are no free lunches. Others with direct experience may be able to tell a different story.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

The warranty is offered as an Australian warranty and the repairs are carried out in Australia. They say it would be sent in 1-3 days and i would call them before i purchase to make sure they have stock. At $918 that certainly isn't the cheapest i have seen around. A friend put me onto T Dimension who import from Hong Kong and they are selling them for $895.59 and his Sigma lens hasn't missed a beat.

What is the difference with a grey imported lens and an Australian bought lens besides the warranty any way?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

A grey import is imported direct by the company you buy it off, the Australian distributor does not provide warranty coverage as they did not import the lens. You are relying entirely on the company you buy it off. Also check what their dead on arrival policy is. Other than that they may or may not have the same manuals or other accessories, apart from that that they should be the same item.

Also compare shipping costs a quick look shows freight is $76 from DWI and $29 from camerasdirect. You can pickup from Sydney stores from places like dirtcheapcameras and digidirect and pay no freight. Brings them a little closer but doesn't beat the price.

Also digging a little I found this in terms and conditions:

"The price for the goods shall, unless otherwise agreed, be the price set out on the dispatch confirmation. The price for the goods quoted on the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and insurance and applicable import Tax/GST and duty which the buyer shall pay in addition for further information regarding this please see the Australian Customs Web Site. Shipping and insurance costs are calculated at checkout."

This would bring the price a lot closer to the Aussie dealers price.

the GST is a significant Gotcha, I would confirm with them what this means for the price and when and if you have to pay GST. If it arrives direct from Hong Kong you would be relying on it coming through customs and not triggering the GST limit. If it does Fedex's clearance charges are significant. I think this lens (incl freight) just scrapes in.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

I think i might take a trip into Melbourne too and see what price i can get, at least that takes out postage charges. Our local dealer is selling them for $1298 and i ain't paying that much.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I bought an Olympus lens and teleconverter from DWI, as the pricing was very good even with shipping. My only concern is potential warranty issues, as even though Olympus have Worldwide Warranty, it can be difficult to claim against with grey imports (which I am currently experiencing due a botched firmware upgrade, but that's a WHOLE 'nother story!)

Having said that, DWI do have their own repair centre in Australia.

There's plenty of positive reports about DWI at Whirlpool:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1389942
    (Mods, apologies if link breaks any rules)

Cheers
    Adam Blyth Photography on Facebook
    Now on flickr
    Canon 1D X | Canon EOS 7D II | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 500mm f4L II IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | EF Extender 2x III | 600EX II-RT | Gitzo 3532LS | M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal

Thanks for your replys Chris and Adam its been good food for thought.

Adam i found that whirlpool thread last night and it was helpful to some degree. I think i'll head into melbourne sometime in the next week and find out what price i can get there. If i can't find any thing there reasonably priced and no one has any thing negitave to say about DWI i think i'm prepared to give them a go.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have purchased my D300s and my Tokina 12-24mm lens from DWI. Super happy with the price and delivery times. I have no experience (nor do I want it) regarding warrantee claims, so cannot comment on this.

I will be purchasing my 300mm f/4 Nikkor from them too when I have the funds.
    CC's, Reposts and Comments welcomed

http://www.plottier.net

Well i went into Melbourne today and ended up getting it cheaper than DWI could so i'm extremely pleased. Thankyou for your help and now i just need the rain to go away so i can go and play.