Thread: Birding settings for 7D.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Birding settings for 7D.

What A/F and Metering settings do 7D owners use?, I have a 100 - 400mm L series and have been using settings A/F Single Point and metering, Spot, I wonder if these are considered the best.

Andy.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Birding settings for 7D.

Great idea for a thread Andy!

I've only had the 7D for 3 weeks now, and I mostly use single AF point, which I move to be on the head/face 90% of the time. For BIF photos, I've been experimenting with auto focus point and seeing how well the camera tracks the birds. So far it's not bad at retaining focus, once it finds focus.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Mark. I think sharing ideas, techniques, experiences etc is a great way to learn, especially when we have some members with years of experience, hopefully they will contribute to the thread.

Andy.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Andy/Mark,

I typically use single AF point and evaluative or center-weighted metering on my 7D. I then dial-in (+) or (-) exposure compensation in 1/3 stops as required. Compared to my 50D, I find the 7D does a much better job at (auto)exposing an image correctly, and I find that (-) 1/3 exp. comp. is more than adequate in most circumstances to prevent clipping of the highlights.

I've experimented with using the zone AF for birds in flight as it's easier to keep an active focal point on the subject. Having said that, my current setup (300mm f/2.8 & 2x TC) is not exactly 'the duck's nuts' when it comes to acquiring sharp BIF shots. I will use spot metering on occasion, but <5% of the time, and usually only when I have a static (reliable) subject and lighting is not ideal. The pinpoint focus option (?not sure of correct terminology here) available on the 7D is useful for those photographers amongst us who have a tendency for shooting birds in cages

Cheers,

Scotty

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I normally use single AF point, mostly center, lock focus and recompose, partial or evaluative metering on my 7D, mostly partial recently. 99% of the time I use manual exposure, enablke highlight alert and expose to the right without blowing highlights. I also adjust White Balance to suit, I find I get better results rather than leaving it on auto.

Tony Hansford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scotty_mcg
    Compared to my 50D, I find the 7D does a much better job at (auto)exposing an image correctly
    I noticed the same difference between my brother's 50D and my 30D. The 7D must be light years ahead of my 30D then.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

An excellent guide to setting up your 7D for bird photography can be found here: http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/200 ... -canon-7d/

A number of people have recommended this site to me, it's a gem.
    Adam Blyth Photography on Facebook
    Now on flickr
    Canon 1D X | Canon EOS 7D II | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF 300mm f2.8L IS USM | EF 500mm f4L II IS USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | EF Extender 2x III | 600EX II-RT | Gitzo 3532LS | M-3.6 Mongoose Gimbal

8. The following user says thank you to Adam Blyth for their reply: