Thread: PhotoTwitch 2010 - Pre-comp DISCUSSION

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default PhotoTwitch 2010 - Pre-comp DISCUSSION

The aim:
    To photograph as many Australian bird species as possible in 8 hours

When:
    4th-5th December 2010

Inspired by the popular Twitchathons, last year Arron Davies suggested the challenge to see how many birds we could photograph in a given time period: and the Birding Oz PhotoTwitch was born!
    The inaugural event was great fun although the weather wasnít the best and participation levels were fairly low. This year our aim is to have alot more competitors, and hopefully better weather!
    The winner last year was the competitive Grant Brosie who is a regular in the Birds Australia Twitchathon competition with a rained out total of 85 species.

There is no entry fee and you donít need to pre-register, though you will need to register as a member of http://www.birdingoz.com.au to enter. There is no charge for registration on BirdingOz.com.au and it only takes a minute or two.
    We would also encourage people to register under their real names when joining if possible.

Your approach to this event can be as competitive or non-competitive as you want. Many participants will see the event as simply a chance to have fun while satisfying their own curiosity about how many species they can photograph in a day.

There will be a sub competition of Best Photo and Rarest BIrd. Everyone will be welcome to submit their best two images for judging (and just sharing) in the appropriate forum after the event.

Rules:
    1. You are limited to a consecutive 8hr block. You choose start and finish times.
    2. Birds must be totally wild and free and photographed within Australia (pelagic species are allowed)
    3. No call playback allowed. (Pishing is acceptable)
    4. Putting out food sources is not allowed
    5. Any photo counted must allow the species to be easily and unequivocally identified (when combined with knowledge of location). Whilst outright image quality is not the main aim, we encourage people to try to get as good an image as they can, and not just snap blindly through the car window!
    6. You may travel with others for company etc, however each entry must be photographed by one person only.
    7. Upon completion, you must send a PM to one of the moderators with your total as a list (preferably in taxonomic order). Note - do not post your results publicly. This must be done by 9th December to qualify.
    8. The top 5 will be asked to send a low res copy of all their images to the Moderators for scrutiny. (more details will be given at the time)
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: PhotoTwitch 2010 - 4th & 5th December

Excellent stuff Dave, good to see the rules so specific, and also good to see the encouragement for more entries.
    However, for those not registered on the forum, this "PhotoTwitch" folder is not visible to those people, so unless they register, they won't even know about it. Could I suggest either making this folder publically available, or, and probably better, make this the front article on the Birding Oz Homepage.

Would posting it to Birding-aus be worthwhile, or is that not allowed?

Looking forward to this year, will have to start thinking about a route, and some target species. Still only going to be using my P&S though

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

We're all (the mods) trying to get our heads around how the front page works mate. Daves on the job and it should be visible on there in the near future

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Sounds like a good time, hopefully I'll have one of those days off work, so we'll see :P
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe
    The aim:
    5. Any photo counted must allow the species to be clearly and unequivocally identified (when combined with knowledge of location). Whilst outright image quality is not the main aim, blurry images taken through the car window might not cut it!
    7. Upon completion, you must send a PM to one of the moderators with your total as a list (preferably in taxonomic order). Note - do not post your results publicly. This must be done by 9th December to qualify.
    I'm a little lost.
    Whats meant by 'blurry images through the car window might not cut it!'? Surely if the bird is IDable its included?

Will we be able to publicly see competitors complete lists eventually? I think its very interesting to see where people went and what they saw/missed.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Another vote for eventually seeing people's lists, I love perusing some of the great birds people see and snap.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsonwire
    We're all (the mods) trying to get our heads around how the front page works mate. Daves on the job and it should be visible on there in the near future
    Cheers, Paul. I don't visit the front page often, but it's very out of date, so here's hoping you guys get the hang of it quickly, and bring it up to speed.

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm in, as long as the Minister for Familiy Gatherings and Social Occassions doesn't schedule a family get together on that weekend.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm with Grant here, if a bird is IDable it should be included (mainly because I know most of the shots I take won't be quality )
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Whats meant by 'blurry images through the car window might not cut it!'? Surely if the bird is IDable its included?
    I think that is just saying that the shot must be fairly conclusive when it comes to ID. This is after all a "phototwitch" and one of the aims is to improve peoples photography as well as getting out to see as many birds as possible.
    You would have seen from the ID competitions on here that people have different views of what the ID images are. The images should be easily identifiable to just about anyone viewing them (not just Grant who we all know is a bird IDing freak of nature Sorry Grant but you are ).
    For example, I don't think any of the images in Nathans quiz (link below) would be acceptable as phototwitch entries. They are too cryptic.
    Getting an identifiable shot will be one of the biggest challenges of this exercise, good luck.
    http://www.birdingoz.com.au/forums/v...hp?f=10&t=5100

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

So, you're pretty much saying someone else has to be able to look at the photo and say what it is straight away? That seems fine to me
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

With knowledge of the area it was taken in to give a little bit of context I think but yes, it has to be identifiable by someone else (our judges).
    Thats not to say that if you get a blurry shot of one of the birds not to enter it in your list. Just be ready for it to be discounted if their are not enough identifiable features in your image Sound fair I think everyone is going to have a few images where the identification of the bird could be considered arguable so don't worry too much. Does that sound about right Dave?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I reckon Paul has summed the "blurry car window" issue up perfectly! Like he said we want to encourage people to take photos..not just hold the camera out the window with the motor drive whirring hoping you get a few birds in there! At the end of the day the judging will be fair, it's more an encouragement to try to put a bit of effort into it.

I agree about seeing other peoples' lists - we just don't want to have people publishing them to the site first. It needs to go through the officials. If in the event that we get 100 people participating posting 100 lists of 100+ species might become a bit cumbersome too.

Ashy all the publicity is in motion but there are some technical issues to deal with first like the front page/visibility etc so there's won't be any official off site advertising until we can get that sorted.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Note - i have edited the queried rule which hopefully words the point better and more clearly.
    Cheers, Dave

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Haha, no way mine'll entered, what I do remember from last year is Aswins ID post, for a bird in the PhotoTwitch (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1564&p=11787&hilit=Black+tail ed+Native+Hen#p11787) Could you do something similar in the up-coming Photo-twitch?
    Worldwide: ~900 Australia: 396 Birds on my block*: 113
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Only the judges will judge whether the image is identifiable, not members. And sorry Ashy but I think that shot would be in the unidentifiable basket.
    The red feet are visible but I think you would need another feature or two for it to be enterable.