Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to DSLR's

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default New to DSLR's

I'm looking at getting my first DSLR. I've had an old Panasonic DMC-FZ30 for a while but have decided to upgrade. After doing a lot of reading I'm leaning towards getting a Canon EOS 50D with an EF 70-30mm F/4-5.6 IS. I'd welcome any opinions or advice, keeping in mind I don't want to spend much more than $1,600 at this stage. I'll also probably grab a basic wide angle lens later on so I can play around with some landscapes as well. I assume going in this direction is better than getting one of the standard two lens kits?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: New to DSLR's

Yeah, the Canon 50D is a pretty good bet. The new 60D is out, so that should be driving prices lower for the 50D. It might be worth seeing whether you could get a good deal on a one-lens combo, say a 50D + 15-85mm general purpose lens and then use the money left over to get the 70-300 or something. The 15-85 is apparently a really good lens for the price, it covers a really handy focal length and is said to be better than the previous 17-85 (which I have and am pleased with).
    As for the 70-300, you will always be wanting more focal length for birds, but that is true for almost any lens you would get (except for an 800mm or something The Image Quality is pretty good from that lens, for its price, although focus speed, build quality etc are obviously not as good as the more expensive lenses. A pretty good lens to start out with, though. Just to see whether you are really going to be into the whole photography thing. I reckon we can turn you into a photographer pretty quick though
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G'day Bourke,

I've had the 70-300mm and used it up until Feb this year. It's a good little lens, but it does get a bit soft if you are shooting at 300mm. I struggled to get crispness out of it, but it was fine as a first lens. If you find photographing is your thing then you'll find yourself wanting to get an L series as soon as you can.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Bourke,
    I'm also just about to get a DLSR, and I also decided on a 50D, hopefully a great camera . Unfortunately though, the 60D is not driving down the prices of the 50D, as it (the 60D) is overpriced :roll: . Also, there are basically no 50Ds left in Australia that will come with a Canon warranty, the rest are grey imports. If you are fine with that, you should be able to pick up a 50D body for around $800. Not sure about the cost of the 50D and 17-85mm.
    Good luck

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks all for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

If you are on a budget Ebay can be a good source, you can pick up some equipment there in as new condition for half the price. Otherwise I saw dirt cheap cameras had a 50D still listed on their web page.

If you can stretch for the extra cash the 75-300 IS USM seems to get much better reports and will certainly focus faster than the non USM lens. They also come up on Ebay fairly often, possibly you'd get it for around $500-600??. Here's one that is ending today:

http://<br /> <a href="http://cgi.eb...4152ececd2</a>
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Young
    G'day Bourke,

I've had the 70-300mm and used it up until Feb this year. It's a good little lens, but it does get a bit soft if you are shooting at 300mm. I struggled to get crispness out of it, but it was fine as a first lens. If you find photographing is your thing then you'll find yourself wanting to get an L series as soon as you can.
    Hi Bourke,

One good trick to optimise sharpness in the 70-300 is to stop-down (i.e. not to shoot at 300mm with full aperature). I found stopping down to f9 (preferbly f11) gives very good results on a cheap-model Nikkor 70-300 if mine. With the very good light of Australia, f9 is not difficult to achieve and even f11 is quite easily managed.

Eric
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've heard reports that the Nikkor 75-300mm is actually quite sharp at 300mm, at least a lot more so than the Canon. You can pick the canon lens up for $199, you tend to get what you pay for.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

In that case which is the better option the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens or the Nikkor?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well, if you're going with the 50D, the only choice is the Canon, I was just responding to Eric who was saying his Nikon version of this lens lens was sharp stopped down a little, with an implication that the Canon may be similar. From what I have seen the Canon IS USM is generally sharper than the non USM lens.

Here is a review on of the 75-300 IS USM lens on Photozone:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/20...report--review

Keep in mind I suggested you consider seeing if you could stretch your budget this far, it's $950 from digi direct, if you are prepared to buy a grey import , cameras direct has them for $659. and they are still showing 50D's for $949. Which just squeezes in to your $1600, plus you'll need a CF card, possibly a card reader and postage costs, which would be about another $100 or so. Or you could keep your eye on Ebay.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

The 70-300mm IS USM is a pretty good little lens. As already noted you will probably really want something longer for birds, but quality wise I find mine hard to fault. I used it a few weeks ago when my 100-400 was in for repairs and the results were quite acceptable, even at 300 it's perfectly sharp provided you stop down a bit (I tend to shoot at f/8 nearly always anyway).

A couple of samples from my recent efforts with this lens if you're interested...

Apostlebird
    Canon 40D, ISO 400, f/10, 1/400s, 300mm (full frame)
    http://richardhallphotography.com/Au...30_5uQa6-O.jpg

Southern Scrub-robin
    Canon 40D, ISO 500, f/9, 1/1000s, 300mm (60% of frame)

New Holland Honeyeater
    Canon 40D, ISO 500, f/9, 1/1250s, 300mm (about 25% of frame)
    http://richardhall.smugmug.com/photo...33_MKYhx-O.jpg

Southern Boobook
    Canon 40D, ISO 800, f/8, 1/250s, 300mm, (50% of frame)
    http://richardhallphotography.com/Au...27_3CSCN-O.jpg

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been looking around on e-bay and going about this the wrong way round have picked up the lens (the canon 70-300mm IS USM) before the camera body but at about $480 I think I'm doing OK. Just keeping my eye on a few bodies now hopefully will have a basic set up before too long. Probably not in time to break it in next week when I head to Kangaroo Island though

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sounds good, I think you got your lens for a good price. If you're looking around Ebay also consider a 40D which will be cheaper again and quite a good camera, it'll leave you some more money for your wide angle; the 17-85mm EFS lens seems to me to be the best all rounder and it's readily available as quite a number are sold, you can bide your time waiting for the right one. The 18-55 kit lens are cheaper but a bit dodgy quality wise in my view. I picked up a used 40D and and a 17-85 for my daughter early this year and it does quite a good job.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks again to everyone who's been keeping up the regular stream of advice it has been very useful. I got back from holiday today and the camera was waiting at the post office for me . Was a bit worried about getting it off e-bay but all seems to have turned out well!

One more question though. I have read that the write speed of the cf card can limit the potential speed of the camera. I have been trying to work out which card to buy (I'm borrowing a friends spare atm so I can have a play) and am now thoroughly confused. Any suggestions as to what would be a good starting point? Under about $80 would be ideal but any advice appreciated.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Bourke,

The CF card speed is likely to be a limit for the high speed 1 series cameras. What will change is the write speed to your PC. I would suggest sticking with Sandisk as they seem to have a good reputation.

The Sandisk Ultra rated at 30 mb/s would be fine in your camera, the next step up is the extreme rated at 60mb/s. The advantage for the extreme would be fatser downloads, but you would need the latest USB 3 card readers to take advantage of that. At digi direct an 8GB ultra is $59 and an extreme is $90.

This page lists in camera read/write speeds for various cards in the 50D.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

And this page tests readers:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

The most readily available highish speed card reader seems to be the Sandisk all in one here:

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accesso...0_readerwriter

With this reader anything over a 30MB/s card won't download any faster.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com