Thread: How to you print your photos?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default How to you print your photos?

Hi all,

I am having issues with the printing of my photographs. I do not sell any, I mainly just keep them in a small album to show family and friends or anyone who is interested.

I print my photos at Harvey Norman, however have problems replicating what I see on screen through to the final print. Often, images appear fine on my monitor and the display monitor at Harvey Norman, however end up being 'overexposed' or 'underexposed' in final print. My guess is that their printer is not calibrated to their (or other) monitors. Obviously, the easiest way to solve the problem is to by a professional photo printer, however as I dont sell my images, the cost of the inks, printer and other accessories cannot be justified.

How do others print their photos and do you have similar problems? If so, have you found any methods to overcome such issues?

Thanks!
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: How to you print your photos?

Hi Dale , I just use my local chemist, or both really we have 2 in town, one for my 6x4 and the other for 7x5, which its only a few of my best keepers I put into the local agri show in october . one has a fuji printer booth, colours seem right when printed. we have a local photographer\printer shop here who handles larger stuff and media types. but havent submitted any work to them yet, out of my price range atm. had issues a long while back with my old monitor
    i was adjusting the brightness and stuff and found my monitor was the prob. mostly my camera is what you see you get
    when i printed for last years show. never used Mr Harvey Normans mob yet. we tried Hp's snapfish online service
    through our server once but was with a 3meg sony. seemed ok. did kodak's online through coles supermarkets also
    when they were doing it. do the homeprinting on the canon all in one for a few quick ones. mostly all keepers put on c/d's now after computer's get a nasty habit of crashing and burning when you least expect it, evil darn things
    cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Printing can be a problem, the standard that pleases the average punter can be quite low, I print my own and manage a good screen to print match. I use a pro grade Canon printer and it does a nice job, but doesn't do anything smaller than A4.

The only solution apart from doing it yourself is shop around till you find a place that does better, sometimes smaller mini labs do better as the staff in Harvey Norman may not care much about quality, while the small concern may be owned by someone a bit more enthusiastic about photography.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Put simply Dale - you get what you pay for. Find a decent pro lab or at the least a proper photographic place. Yes it will cost you more but at least they will do your images justice.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Daves on the money there - no doubt monitor calibration and other factors can make a difference but a quality processing lab really will make a difference - I dont print out hard copies of my stuff these days but past experience would make me agree with Dave on this... certainly worth the extra cost if you can justify it

regards

David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'll echo what the two Davids have said. I found a great family-run phot lab twenty five years ago and have stayed with them. They are gold.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks all!

Unfortunately, the area where I live in does not have a professional camera store - the only places where printing is possible is Harvey Norman, Big W and the local chemist - all of which do 'hit and miss' jobs. I guess the only other option is to find a good online company and get them to print, but sending big TIF files over the internet will be a hassle.

Just have to do with what I have; unless I save up all my photos and print them when I go to Mackay 1-2 times a year
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Dale just wondering what size prints were you thinking of getting done???
    cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Dale you should find alot of pro labs have an upload service. Then you only have to pay for freight back to you. Do a bunch at a time to make it more worthwhile.
    We use Bond Imaging in Melbourne for example who have "Bond On Demand" which is a web based upload. No issues with large files although no need to send a tiff file. Jpeg at 200dpi is all that the print resolution will show.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks guys,

Rick - I just get 6x4 prints done, unless it is a photo worthy of enlargement in which case I might go larger.

David - thanks for the tip, I might have a look at some of the online companies for those photos which the local printers cannot handle.

Thanks again!
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I just use an IP model Canon printer for A4s and 6x4s. Does a pretty good job.
    My real suggestion though would be to just get a cool photobook made up of your best images. Great fun to design and look through when you are done. I'd suggest doing one up every year or every 6 months depending on how many good shots you rack up. They look great and are getting cheaper for better quality.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

There are places that you can send images on CD or other media which follow a colour managed work flow. This assumes you have a calibrated monitor and can soft proof images in PS. There's various options including getting all your images printed on a larger sheet laid out in PS which you then trim yourself. Or other places have automatic cutting of the image.

One place worth looking at is Pixel perfect:

http://www.pixelperfect.com.au/orders/pricing

prices are quite reasonable for a pro lab and they do good work, but you need to follow their directions exactly and there are minimum order and freight costs to consider. For instance if you leave an alpha channel in the file it will apply it to print (you don't want that to happen).

If you want something to hang on a wall archival inkjet prints are the way to go, they have better gamut than photographic paper and often nicer surfaces. Prices can be steep, but I have been doing prints on my 17" iPF5100 canon printer for a few people and you'll get a much better price from me than any of the labs.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Chris and Paul,

Paul - I was thinking of getting a photobook done - I have seen people do them for their children growing up and they turned out well. Most of my better images (if you call them that ) didnt turn out too badly when printed at Harvey Norman, so I could get a book done through them. Probably every 12 months will suffice as I dont get out birding all that much!

Chris - thanks for the tips, will look at using archival inkjet prints if I hang anything on the wall Not in the market for a printer yet, but if I do decide to go down that track, I might send you a PM to make sure I am getting a printer that will do the job.
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss
    One place worth looking at is Pixel perfect:

http://www.pixelperfect.com.au/orders/pricing
    Just to confirm what Chris said, my wife is a artist and is currently away on a 'art' trip to China, she had photos of artworks and original computer generated works printed, both on photo paper and 'art' paper done by this lab to take with her, although we uploaded sRBG files they converted to adobeRBG (at a charge) and the results were very good, if they please my artist wife they must have been OK. Not as cheap as Hardly Normal or your local chemist, but as has been said 'you get what you pay for'.
    Ed

Image Reposts
    Please ask

If your printing volume is low you are often better off buying your prints, there's a bit of a learning curve to getting prints matching your screen well.

One option is to get me to print them, I can do them for quite reasonable prices and as a fully colour managed work flow, you can soft proof them on your machine in PS if your monitor is calibrated.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com