Thread: Computers and monitor size

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Computers and monitor size

Very soon I will have to upgrade my whole system, trying to make this old acer aspire last a bit before i do
    ive only got a 19" monitor so what is the best size that works for photography??, what brands give good
    colour reproduction??, i have been told Samsung are quite good. what would you concider a good replacement
    mainly for photography I'm not into gaming and online games and stuff. cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Computers and monitor size

Hi Rick

I use a 19" Samsung LCD screen which is excellent, albeit a little on the older side now (about 5 years). The colour reproduction in Samsungs are top notch.

My next upgrade I'll be looking at either a 21" or possible a widescreen format (to fit more on the screen!)

Cheers

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Rick - this is a no brainer for me :roll: :roll: - trade in all your PC stuff and buy the all in one Imac - new 27 inch fantastic quality all in one system - best operating platform - fantastic platform for graphics programs such as Photoshop - huge hard drive - superb monitor quality

2.8GHz Intel Core i5
    2560-by-1440 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    1TB hard drive1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB

A$ 2,599.00

Why would anyone clown around with a PC!

Do yourself a favour and visit your nearest Apple Shop at least for a look!

David Taylor
    Mac Lover forever and proud of it

PS - reckon I will create some comment!!!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor
    Not from me. I love my Mac
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

you could save some serious money by building a PC just as powerful as any Mac, not have to pay the ridiculous premiums for white colour and Apple logos and spend that cash on some new glass!~

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Macs are fine if they're within your budget, including buying new software and the screens are excellent.

There's LCD screens and LCD screens, the cheap ones are designed for office type applications and while they will display photos some of them ( and this includes Samsungs as well as many other brands) have rather poor colour discrimination. The technical reason is that they are 6 bit monitors, rather than 8 bit this means that natively they can produce 64 colours rather than 256 colours. They get around this by dithering which basically mixes pixels of different shades to approximate the colour your computer outputs. This is the reason many laptops are not that great for photo editing.

The end results is problems with banding in gradient areas and blocking up of saturated colours. You can pay from $200 or so right up to $5000 for a 24" range monitor and you get what you pay for, albeit with diminishing returns.

I would suggest a starting point for a screen is the Dell Ultrasharp models, Samsung and others will have an equivalent.

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellsto...=dhs&cs=audhs1

This one is $349 for a 23" monitor.
    This one claims 100% of Adobe RGB and 82% gamut CIE 1976 the 24" model is a step up again it claims 96% of Adobe RGB and 105% gamut. These are the sort of specs you are looking for in a photo monitor at least 100% of sRGB coverage. Cheaper ones often won't mention this at all, there is a reason as they will show very poor performance at this spec level.

The 24" ultrasharp is a step up in colour gamut and goes for $699.

You will need to turn the brightness right down to get proper reproduction. For a long time the Dell was the entry level serious photo monitor. You should be able find equivalent spec monitors in other brands. Whatever you buy you should have a look at some of your images on the monitor before buying.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'd go for an Imac too. The 21.5 inch version is a fair bit cheaper and the screen is still just as good. I am on one now.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Try and see the monitor before you purchase it. I use 5 monitors at work and all of them are calibrated correctly but all display differently. With the mac displaying the best quality of them all.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor
    Rick - this is a no brainer for me :roll: :roll: - trade in all your PC stuff and buy the all in one Imac - new 27 inch fantastic quality all in one system - best operating platform - fantastic platform for graphics programs such as Photoshop - huge hard drive - superb monitor quality

2.8GHz Intel Core i5
    2560-by-1440 resolution......
    Why would anyone clown around with a PC!
    David Taylor
    Mac Lover forever and proud of it

Love the enthusiasm Dave!
    Very excited - ordered my 27" iMac with the i7 processor yesterday! Can't wait to get it :P
    Sorry RIck - I think Chris is the one to listen to - the most sensible among us
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I use a Dell U2411 and Dell U2711.

The 27 inch U2711 is a different aspect ratio so isn't that much taller than the 24 inch U2410.

Both are IPS panels, and have some of the best colour reproduction and black displays of a monitor in that pricepoint and above.
    I did my research before buying these two, and for the money, they can't be beat (at least at the time of purchasing )