Thread: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 5/9/10 "MY LOCAL PATCH/BACKYARD"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 5/9/10 "MY LOCAL PATCH/BACKYARD"

Whoa, we really love our Honeyeaters on here don't we Nearly 80 posts and a good couple of hundred views Great work
    Going to slow things down this week with a look at all of our local areas and backyards. Tell us about the habitat, birds and other wildlife that you have on your doorstep
    I'm off on holidays to Echuca/Moama for a few days so I look forward to hearing all about your local areas when I get back

My local patch is the Werribee River. Its flanked by fairly large gum trees, many with sizeable hollows so there are all sorts of critters including possums, introduced bees and sometimes Owls. There are also quite a few Platypuses though you never see them. Its not the cleanest waterway but its just had a good flush out with the recent rains. At the moment there are Red rumped Parrots as well as Rainbow Lorikeets nesting and in a month or two the Sacred Kingfishers will arrive to take up residence. All morning there has been a Fan tailed Cuckoo calling from down there so I decided I'd have to post an image of one that I took down there a while ago.

Fan tailed Cuckoo (Cacomantis flabelliformis)
    Canon 5D 400mm f5.6 L 1/800 5.6 iso 500 -2/3 exp. comp, fill flash -1 1/3 flash comp, Handheld
    [attachment=0:2xa2hdsj]img3808r.jpg[/attachment:2xa2hdsj]

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: WEEKLY THEME GALLERY 5/9/10 "MY LOCAL PATCH/BACKYARD"

square tail kite, couple hundred yards from home, have shot what i pressume is this one from my backyard on a few occasions, had good sightings at least every second day last summer and hope the bird continues his trend this coming season... this kite allways hunts at the top of the treeline so affords some exellent oppertunities, for those who know this bird is quite voracious in the way he feeds.. have witnessed his habit of raiding another birds nest on one occassion and was quite stunned... but that was pretty lame compared to the wife's reaction.. :cry: :cry: :roll:

[attachment=0:3f0uicwc]C1D33938.jpg[/attachment:3f0uicwc]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My local patch is the town of Proserpine, a small farming town (sugarcane and cattle) about 3hrs south of Townsville and 90mins north of Mackay in Queensland. It is the administrative centre for the Whitsunday Regional Council. My birding patch is Goorganga Wetlands which is about a 5 minute drive from Proserpine. Goorganga Wetlands (aboriginal name of course; not sure of the translation) is about 17,000 hectares and comprises of a mix of leasehold and freehold properties. It forms a large delta which filters out nutrients and sediment which would otherwise end up in the Proserpine River and ultimately out to the Great Barrier Reef. Proserpine River runs through the northern boundary of the wetlands and is a tidal river, making some of the wetlands tidal. The river is home to about 150+ crocodiles and has resulted in a touring company called Whitsunday Crocodile Safaris setting up a tour which takes tourists across a small section of the wetlands (not the good part which cannot be accessed easily; hence my photographs are taken from public land on the small dirt road from my car). Whitsunday Crocodile Safaris has a list of the birds they have sited and at last count, have upwards of 280 just in the very small patch of land that they cover.

The wetlands are great for woodland, estuary and wetland birds from magpie geese, to flycatchers, cuckoos, many raptors, all breeds of egrets, kingfishers, honeyeaters, etc etc. I wish I could see half of those 280+ birds! A lovely area, just a shame that the best parts of it are hard to access - good for the birds as they are protected. After rain, you sometimes can barely see the sky from flocks of magpie geese, egrets, etc. The Conway Ranges flank the wetlands (which are a great spot for bushwalks and rainforest birds fruit doves, buff-breasted paradise kingfisher breeding, etc) and the Great Dividing Range to the far west.

I guess I better show a photo! Nothing great, just a young Black Kite from a few weeks ago.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My local patch is a nature reserve called Cooleman Ridge NR, part of the Nature Reserve system in Canberra. It is about 15 minutes walk from where I live and is mainly covered in grassy eucalypt woodland. My regular haunt in the nature reserve is a small patch of regenerating woodland which has, over time, produced some surprisingly good birds.

This is what I wrote to flickr when I posted this image late last year:

OK, here is the story: I was walking home from an early morning walk at Cooleman Ridge when I noticed a flock of Yellow-rumped Thornbills flitting around a very puffed up magpie. On closer inspection, I noticed that the magpie had, in fact, one of the flock in its beak.

It flew off quickly, down towards one of its young. It attempted to tear it up into little pieces, but seemingly gave up after a little bit, whereupon the youngster tried the same thing, for a substantially longer time.

I didn't actually see the magpie catch the thornbill, but I assume that it caught it because the flock of thornbills were flitting around it which probably wouldn't have happened had the thornbill already been dead. Also, the magpie looked very very fluffed up and ferocious just after I spotted her.

Neither the adult nor the young seemed to know what to really do the with thornbill. The female attempted to tear it up a la a raptor, but didn't really succeed. Likewise the youngster. Makes you wonder how often they take small birds as prey.

The image is full-frame, taken with the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 40D.
    Cheers
    Tobias
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My local patch is Long Reef Marine Reserve in the north of Sydney.
    The 2 areas for birding are the marine reserve, and the Golf Course.
    Shorebirds abound all year round, though during winter time things get quite thin on the ground. In the past year I've seen 19 different Shorebirds, with a dip on a couple really exciting species that I want to pick up this year, with a possible 20th not ticked because it wasn't able to be ID'ed correctly. Pelagic action is very good here as well, though it can be very chilly out on the reef.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Diamond firetail on our back lawn. We've lived at our current house for almost 3 years and I've never seen the firetail finches in previous years. However this year, we've had a pair visiting on a fairly regular basis. They are coming for the seed in the lawn, as you can see this one eating here. They were visiting as a pair for a while, however now I only see one at a time, and I am wondering if they are nesting somewhere nearby and I think it's quite possible. The blackbirds and ravens have been actively collecting nest material so perhaps the finches are already nesting. Anyway, long story short, I love these little visitors and I love seeing them and I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting some better shots of them in the future

Canon 550D 1/320 sec 55-250mm @250mm. ISO 400
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Does every garden have one?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Of the 55 species I've recorded in my (18 metre x 15 metre) backyard at least 6 are honeyeater species.
    Some are year-round residents where-as I only see Eastern Spinebills from late April to early September.

Eastern Spinebill (Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris) in my backyard.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My patch consits of Manly Lagoon (61 species I've counted )
    A lot of great birds, many of which I have photographed (not always successfully ). I tried to find one that many people wouldn't have in their backyard. As I've already posted shots of the resident Straited Heron and the one-off Boobook, I thoght I post this Buff-banded Rail. I see (or at least hear ) one of these every couple of days or so. This one is from a spot about 300m away from my house (I haven't taken a passable shot of the one that lives opposite my house yet, as I don't have a big enough lense )

[attachment=0:3squslsw]DSC_0541.jpg[/attachment:3squslsw]
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My local patch would probably be the outflow ponds of the Derby Sewage Ponds (charismatically named the Derby Wetlands), though I haven't spend much time there lately because I have been moving quite a fair bit around the Kimberley. Depending on the time of the year and how much rains, birding at the ponds can vary from extreme good to practically disastrous. It used to be one of the best places in the Kimberley for crakes and rails until about 8 years ago when most of the water from the sewage works was diverted to irrigate the local golf course. Now only a trickle remains and hence wetlands is really a misnomer, but at times this is enough to support a large number of freshwater birds and bush birds.

Swinhoe's Snipe
    Gallinago megala

Derby Wetlands, Derby, Western Australia, Australia
    21st December 2006
    Canon 30D, Canon EF 600mm L with Kenko Pro 300 1.4X Teleconverter

Currently I am based in Kununurra, being here for already a month and will be here for another 2 more months (and many more). Kununurra is a wonderful birding location with Lake Kuninurra and Lily Creek Lagoon right in the middle of town offering much opportunities for water fowls. The local golf course is also excellent for bush birds.

Comb-crested Jacana
    Irediparra gallinacea

Kununurra, Kimberley, Western Australia, Australia
    22nd March 2008
    Canon 40D, Canon EF 600mm f4 L with Extender EF II 1.4X
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

My local patch is not as impressive as the ones already mentioned. It's a small lake surrounded by some reeds with a small park (backyard size) in the middle of the city (Gold Coast). Went there this afternoon tom try out my new battery grip.

Australian Grebe (Tachybaptus novaehollandiae)
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Black Swan (Cygnus atratus)

There is also a family of black swans, it was interesting seeing the dad feeding the 3 cygnets some green weeds he collected from the bottom. The cygnets were more interested in treats from the annoying photographer, I unfortunately did not have any so they had to settle for greens.

This is a photo of the male; they were too close for anything but head shots with my set-up.
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)