Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Canon lenses

Default New Canon lenses

Well I bought my birding lens eight months ago so i'm happy that i didn't wait for this release.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082 ... m400mm.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082 ... m600mm.asp
    and new extenders
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10082 ... f2xiii.asp

First think is of course the price. Recommended price for the new 300/2.8 is 7,000 USD and the 400/2.8 is 11,000 USD.
    That said they both have 2 more stops of IS and are supposed to be even sharper than the originals. The new 400/2.8 is actually lighter than the old 500/4.

I'm holding off any any new purchases for a while, i'd rather keep my fingers in my ears and pretend that there isn't a new lens out there that's better than mine

Still, i'm gonna keep an eye out for info on the new 500/4. might be nice to get one somewhere down the track.
    Regards, Jeremy

My photos - http://www.redbubble.com/people/jweiss/art

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: New Canon lenses

Yeah I got a 300/2.8 (second hand, apparently made in '99) back in March. I was surprised to see that they had 'completely' redesigned the lens elements which might mean that it will be sharper than the old one. I feel more than lucky to have the old one though, so not in a hurry to upgrade. I wonder how much sharper the 300/2.8 can actually get before the difference becomes irrelevant??
    I must say, a much lighter 400/2.8 does sound enticing (although we are thinking only if we win the lottery first...)
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

They wont be cheap, that's for sure! I reckon the 500mm will probably go for around 11,000 or so, 600 prob around 12,000-13,000 and 400 f/2.8 maybe somewhere in between? Just a guess, they may even go for more than that. The 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II went up by well over $1,000 from the first version. I sure wont be getting a replacement lens unless I win lotto - although the new 1.4x III extender may be worth a try?
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I reckon if you are in the market for a 500mm and want to save some $$$ just wait til the new one comes out and grab a second hand one from somone upgrading. Like the 300/2.8 i reckon the current 500/4 is sharp as a tack as it is. Lighter weight would be nice of course! If they could drop a kg from it, that would be amazing!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

From what I read, the extenders will actually allow AF...
    If this is the case, that would make the 2x a really worthwhile investment

Also, a new body 60D, but seems worse for bird photography than the 50D :roll:
    Thinking of getting a 60D at end of year..., but having seen specs, considering 50D for $300 less. Unless someone has a 50D or 40D they're trying to get rid of

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Drongo
    From what I read, the extenders will actually allow AF...
    If this is the case, that would make the 2x a really worthwhile investment

Also, a new body 60D, but seems worse for bird photography than the 50D :roll:
    Thinking of getting a 60D at end of year..., but having seen specs, considering 50D for $300 less. Unless someone has a 50D or 40D they're trying to get rid of

Ashwin
    Yeah, not sure about the 60D. The noise on the 50D was not the best (better than any point and shoot of course), so unless they have done something to help out with noise considering the increase to 18MP, then the 60D may be just as bad.

I have a 50D which I dont use much anymore - not sure if I am going to sell it or not yet, but if I do, I will keep you in mind as I would be happy to give you the first opportunity to buy it. I have the 7D and the 1D Mark IV, so the poor 50D doesnt get much of a look in these days
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

will there be a significant weight reduction on the new 600 mark 2 like the 400...? can't find any specs on the 5 and 600. new teleconverters as well that is awesome..... geeez canon are looking after us birders anybody got a spare 20k :x

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

They're certainly taking care of the birders with more than 7k in their pockets! I really wonder why they introduced the 75-300 f4-5.6 L IS USM or something like that. Where is the replacement for the poor 100-400? And is there really that big a market for an L lens in the 300 zoom segment (which is traditionally one of the cheep 'kit' lenses)?
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by callocephalon
    They're certainly taking care of the birders with more than 7k in their pockets! I really wonder why they introduced the 75-300 f4-5.6 L IS USM or something like that. Where is the replacement for the poor 100-400? And is there really that big a market for an L lens in the 300 zoom segment (which is traditionally one of the cheep 'kit' lenses)?
    Glad I am not the only one perplexed by the announcement of that lens, Tobias. Fair enough if it were a little faster, but with a relatively "slow" f/5.6 at the 300mm end, I am not sure who would buy such a lens? The 70-200's dominate that sector, albeit at a higher price range and 300mm is not a focal length that has a terrible lot of use when combined with a fairly slow aperture as the use of TCs is pretty much useless. I am sure Canon know their market better than I do, though

An upgrade to the 100-400 or even throwing in some IS on the 400 f/5.6 would be much better, but people have been wanting that for years so I guess Canon just want to make them wait (or simply not upgrade them at all). On a side note, the charts released for the new 300mm f/2.8 and 400mm f/2.8 look amazing - especially with the 2x extender attached. If only we had an endless supply of money Oh, and Mikey, I am willing to bet there will be some weight reduction from the 600 f/4 considering the 400 f/2.8 managed to shed almost 2kg. The 600 will probably go for anywhere between $13,000 to $15,000
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Where did you get the charts for those? Like I said, I don't know how much they can actually improve on the original one, but if it works amazingly with a 2X, that would be an advantage.
    Like you said, I was expecting an f4 constant zoom if they were releasing a 70-300 range. Ah well, its all a mystery.Good to see them announcing something, at least.
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia

Image Reposts
    Please ask

i was hoping for something like a new lens alltogether like a 400 f/4 with IS, but we have the DO unfortunately, so my guess is because of this we won't see another.... :cry: :roll:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

MTF Charts are here, Tobias, on the Canon U.S.A website.

400mm f/2.8 IS II - http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... _is_ii_usm

300mm f/2.8 IS II - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... _is_ii_usm

When you compare the MTF charts to the older Mark I lenses, you can see quite a significant improvement, especially with the extenders attached. The MTF chart for the bare 400 is pretty much flat and they shed the weight back to just lighter than my 500 f/4 IS.

I will have to sell a kidney, a lung and probably an arm to come close to justifying spending the money to upgrade, but hey, once our 300 f/2.8 and 500 f/4's start getting quite old, then the Mark III's will be out and we can easily afford with the millions we will be making at the time
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel
    An upgrade to the 100-400 or even throwing in some IS on the 400 f/5.6 would be much better, but people have been wanting that for years so I guess Canon just want to make them wait (or simply not upgrade them at all).
    Canon has a long history of NOT listening to their customers and making them wait and wait; releasing sub-optimal technology in their consumer products in small steps to make people spend more over time. A good example would be the 30D -> 40D -> 50D evolution. It was years that customers were screaming out for a much better product with the technology they already had, and it took direct competition from Nikon with the release of the D300 and losing some of the market before they actually released the 7D (both Nikon and Canon users cheered when the D300 was released). It's so sad that many of us Canon users are at the "mercy" of that company whose main concern is not customer satisfaction, but making more money. Sorry for being so synical here, but I for one have been waiting years for them to upgrade their most dated telephoto lens in their lineup.. the 400f5.6. I guess they do not see enough market to "warrant" upgrading that lens.

E
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree Eric. Unfortunately, we are their customers, and unless someone wants to change to Nikon, its going to keep on being like this. Oh well, at least they did release them eventually. If the 400/2.8II is about the same weight as the current 500/4, then it is almost hand holdable! Imagine that...might get some birders interested, including me. And how about a handholdable 600/4?
    The MTF charts do look quite a bit better, surprisingly. Be interesting to see whether people report a big difference. I for one cannot really imagine much improvement over the current 300/2.8, but maybe with extenders...
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'd really like to see a new 100-400, since that will probably be the lense I buy in the nearish future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel
    I have a 50D which I dont use much anymore - not sure if I am going to sell it or not yet, but if I do, I will keep you in mind as I would be happy to give you the first opportunity to buy it. I have the 7D and the 1D Mark IV, so the poor 50D doesnt get much of a look in these days
    Dale, that would be fantastic, if you do decide to sell

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)