Thread: CPL filters?

Default CPL filters?

Has anyone tried using a CPL filter for waterfowl or birds that are up against the sky?
    I hadn't given it much consideration until someone suggested that it would have improved this Jacana shot.
    The drop-in filter is 170 USD from BHphoto though so I'm a bit hesitant.
    Regards, Jeremy

My photos - http://www.redbubble.com/people/jweiss/art

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: CPL filters?

At $170 USD a pop, I wouldnt bother with the CPL filter. They provide a boost in colour saturation, darken the sky to a rich blue colour and help reduce reflections off water and foilage. They are therefore much more useful for landscape photographers and dont have much practical use in general bird photography - at least in my opinion. Bear in mind they will also affect the amount of light hitting the sensor - usually decreasing by around 1.5 stops or so. If it were cheaper, I guess buying would help with those rare occasions where it would be needed, but at that price I would be saving your money I doubt whether a CPL would have greatly improved the jacana shot - at least not to a degree worth $170+ as the harsh light is the main issue with the photograph, not so much colour richness or reflections (by the way, it's a nice photo of an adult and chick - look at those toes!!)
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I would'nt think it would help with a shot like this one. Looks like the sun was straight in front of you creating the many highlights on the water behind the bird and reeds. No filter is going to help with highlights/flares of this nature, would probably make them worse in fact

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This'd be more improved by some photoshopping rather then a new filter, just by some selective Brightness Editing =D
    Worldwide: ~900 Australia: 396 Birds on my block*: 113
    Latest: South Island Pied Oystercatcher *Including sites within 2min walk from my house
    Geopolitics, Cartography & Biodiversity - Latest post: Let's hear it for the Jangmadangs!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Really weird that you mention this Jeremy as i just met a guy at Newhaven on the weekend who used one in his 500mm f4. He swore by it for water birds etc. I'd never given it any thought to be honest but i can think of occasions shooting ducks or pelagics etc where i reckon you would certainly get a nicer image. It certainly got me thinking too. But the dollars certainly make you stop and think
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Yeah I don't think I can justify the price at all.
    Still it would be interesting to see how much of a difference it does make. Almost all of the CPl examples i've seen have been for landscape shots and not wildlife.
    Regards, Jeremy

My photos - http://www.redbubble.com/people/jweiss/art