Thread: A head scratcher

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default A head scratcher

Turns out this sighting today from Nurragingy reserve has some people lots better than me of bird ID scratching their heads.
    Found in the main pond alongside the usual PBD's and Hardheads.

DSC00454 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

DSC00466 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

DSC00476 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

Best guesses to far in the Australian Bird ID facebook group is some kind of Hardhead X Teal hybrid

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

No good for Chesnut Teal?
    Comment and critique welcome
    Follow me on instagram: Cam Candy | Wildlife #camcandywildlife
    Cheers!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Intriguing find Johan. Tending on perhaps male Chestnut Teal/Hardhead hybrid. This derived from pale eye and existance of pale rear flash where BP male teal has the white band. only this pale area enlarges toward the underbody rather than diminishing. Undertail portion that would be white in hardhead actually looks a richer brown than body?? The frontal view also seems a richer brown though not so much so as Chestnut teal. Looks rather 'boof headed' to me also but this may be more imagination, bill certainly seems more teal like.

Hope this draws a few more replies, for others to air the thoughts.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

And there be the interesting bit, Hardhead x Chestnut Teal hasn't been reported or described in the past from what I'm being told.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Olsson View Post
    And there be the interesting bit, Hardhead x Chestnut Teal hasn't been reported or described in the past from what I'm being told.
    Comes as no surprise Johan, one can assume hybrids are not a common thing among some species yet many have been documented. One might wonder how many sightings such as yours go unrecorded. I have photos of a hybrid spoonbill (Royal/Yellow-billed) taken some years ago, I have found no mention of such in any literature and was unknown to WA museum avian curator at that time.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just thought I'd chime in on this one. From the shape and colour of the bird, I think I'd have to agree that it was a Chestnut Teal/Hardhead cross. A very interesting capture, Johan.

John

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Went back for another look Friday and it was still there, unfortunately didn't manage any more shots with anything new in them other than a preening shot hinting at white underwing. Behaves a tad different to the other Hardheads present in the pond.
    Does indeed have a Hardhead x Chestnut Teal kinda feel to it.
    Be interesting to see if it sticks around and of the plumage will change over time.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Johan this is from 2011 i dont know if its the same bird or another hybrid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _PIC3866.jpg  

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That looks pretty much bloody the same to me! Only thing I can see that looks anything different would be the eye colour.
    Same location?
    Mind if I share that shot in the Australian Bird Identification group on Facebook? There's some discussion going on over it and my original shots has been forwarded to some hybrid experts.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

johan no probs send away

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Cheers Derek.
    Got a reply in the FB post from Nicholas Haas who forwarded to a hybrid expert.
    Nikolas HaassI just got the answer from Jörn Lehmhus: In brief he confirms what we have said above: Definitely Aythya x Anas, likely Chestnut Teal x Hardhead but Grey Teal x Hardhead cannot be excluded as hybrids can often show characters of a third species. He excludes Australian Shoveler and Pacific Black Duck as part of the combination. (Original: "Auf jeden Fall ein Hybrid Aythya x Anas. Da kommt vom Ort her bezüglich Aythya ja kaum etwas anderes in Frage, aber mit der Anas Art sieht das schwieriger aus. Du hast die beiden möglichen Arten genannt, superciliosa oder rhynchotis sind sicher nicht beteiligt. Das der Vogel eine ganz leichten violetten Glanz an den Kopfseiten hat, spricht meiner Meinung für Kastanienente als Elter, aber da in Hybridkombinationen ja auch Merkmale auftauchen können , die keiner der Eltern zeigt, ist die Kombination mit Weißkehlente vielleicht dennoch nicht völlig auszuschließen.")

12. The following 2 users say thank you to Johan Olsson for their reply:

David Stowe (15-08-2017), Les George (14-08-2017)