Thread: Help please, sensor clean.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Help please, sensor clean.

Do you guys clean your own sensors? (Canon 40D) An army of bunnies have settled on mine , if you do what to use and any tips would be good.
    Ed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Help please, sensor clean.

Here's my low-tech, risk-free fix. First, triple check crap is on sensor. Then get super-clean bike pump. Cover end with super-clean double fold of fine cotton. Pump several times before going near camera. Lock mirror up. Pump gently from close to camera front. Any super clean, soft, dry air would do. Not sure I'd ever try a wet clean.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

A simple camera blower (blower-brush without the brush) like a Rocket Blower will get alot of spots out. I do a wet clean sometimes but its not for the fainthearted and certainly wouldn't teach you via email!
    Best to get it done professionallly if the blower doesnt work. Biggest tip is to make sure the camera is pointing downwards when you blow it so that the dust falls out
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

hey ed, been doing my own sensor cleaning for some time now, some bunnies won't come off easy and require a bit more work than a blower, have cleaned the sensors on a 40d, 1d11n and my 1d3 with no problems whatsoever, camera manufacturers propaganda prohibits a lot of people cleaning their own imho, not sure on the price of a sensor clean but am very sure it is not cheap especially for 10 minutes work, have used both the wet and dry method, plenty of dslr sensor cleaning kits available online, some not cheap mine was 148 dollars from memory, but as i said earlier how much is a sensor clean.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use a rocket blower most of the time and prefer to do dry cleans with a "lens pen" and would'nt suggest doing a wet clean if you don't know what you're doing :ugeek:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What you need to know here is that there is two kinds of dust on your sensor:
    1. Dust that is merely resting on the sensor, ie not stuck on. This is easy to dust off using mirror lockup and some type of blower, as the others have suggested.
    2. Dust which is 'welded on'. In other words stuff which is stuck on to the sensor and cant be blown off. This occurs because it was damp when it hit the sensor, or the sensor was damp when the dust hit it. Blowing this stuff off wont help - you need to wet clean it.

You'll find the vast majority of the dust is of type 1. Type 2 bulids up at a much slower rate. The strategy I follow is to get rid of the type 1 dust by regular blowing, whenever I sit down to clean the camera and lenses. I find that it takes about 2 years of outdoor use for there to be enough type 2 dust on the sensor to warrant wet cleaning. At that frequency I find it easier to send it to a pro (costs about $80) then to mess around doing it yourself.

Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out