Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTIMIDATED

Hybrid View

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default INTIMIDATED

Hoping the capitalisation in the title has drawn your attention!

Many members say the amount of constructive critique on the forum is decreasing dramatically and I agree. I often want to make positive suggestions on other peoples photos where I think improvements can be made but increasingluy feel intimidated to do so, for fear of appearing to be a know-it-all, which I definitely am not. I want to improve my own photography and really appreciate when others give their advice on what they do and don't like about my posts. If I don't agree with your comment I won't hate you, I will just ignore your comment! David Stowe and Ray Walker are a few of the few people who offer me constructive criticism and I really appreciate their comments because they make me think about my photos and make me strive to do something different and better.

I hope we can all handle honest heartfelt critique without being offended so please don't be afraid to offer your opinions on my images and the images of others.

Cheers
    Last edited by Richard Jackson; 17-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

2. The following 10 users say thank you to Richard Jackson for their reply:

BruceTerrill (18-02-2017), David Stowe (19-02-2017), Derek Willcox (17-02-2017), James White (17-02-2017), John Gunning (19-02-2017), Lachlan Hall (17-02-2017), Ray Walker (18-02-2017), Timothy Paasila (18-02-2017), Tony Clark (18-02-2017), Wilson Lennard (18-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree and I hope people don't feel afraid to say how it really is. It can be hard to learn if your told your images are good but there is really many things wrong with it. It could be sharpening, wb, exposure whatever I sure want to know!

james.

4. The following 5 users say thank you to James White for their reply:

David Stowe (19-02-2017), John Gunning (19-02-2017), Richard Jackson (18-02-2017), Tony Clark (18-02-2017), Wilson Lennard (18-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If I don't agree with your comment I won't hate you, I will just ignore your comment!
    Great comment, Richard, and I agree entirely with what you say. There's really no point in people telling you what a wonderful image you've posted unless you know that they really think it. I'm still no expert, but my photography has improved no end thanks to some of the criticism I've received here on F&P.

John

6. The following 2 users say thank you to John Laing for their reply:

David Stowe (19-02-2017), Richard Jackson (18-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Interesting that this has come up again Richard. I raised this point recently in Patrick's thread for suggestions to improve the forum. I think you have gone about it a better way than I did by simply and openly saying that you want people to provide critique to your images (rather than the general "call" I made for it to occur more broadly). Now I know, I will try and assist you and your images where and if I can. Now I also see James is open to critique, I will try and do the same for his images too. Just for the record (I think everyone knows this and has adopted it nicely with my images!), I too really appreciate any comments to assist me to improve my images and so openly ask that any member who wishes to take the time to do so, never feel intimidated to comment on my images. This may have to be the way we go; every member who wants feed back and critique needs to say so, either here, or in the text associated with the individual image. Thanks for raising this important issue again. Cheers, Wilson.

8. The following 2 users say thank you to Wilson Lennard for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The lack of honest critique is the reason l have stopped posting images on the forum (not that l posted many birds) l used to look forward to getting suggestions on how to improve things like checking the BG before l released the shutter.....
    I will be interested to see if the honesty returns.
    Cheers.
    A.J

10. The following 2 users say thank you to Andrew Simpson for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

C'mon you Guys,
    Am I the only 'honest one' here? I hate criticism and I hate being told that my pictures suck, but when I post a picture and tick the box to say 'yes' for constructive comments then I see no reason to take the comments, either with offence or personally? I was under the impression that when you filled out your profile details and it asked you about comments and reposting modifications to your image that this area of discussion was already part and parcel of signing up? If I post an image and type in the words 'comments welcome' I fail to see that there is an issue with people making suitable comments?
    The biggest issue, I was going to write problem but it's not a problem it's an issue. so the biggest issue with photography is once the image has been taken, reworked and then posted is that it then becomes 100% individually artistic. Every image is seen and assessed by every individual's personal criteria, including likes and dislikes. I'm kinda thinking along the lines that it is within these personal 'likes and dislikes' where people can either agree or disagree and sometimes the lines of interpretation become blurred and offense can result?
    I'm quite open to critique and instructional guidance on technical aspects of an image but not really into simplistic "like it" or "don't like the background" comments. Please take the time to explain your thoughts. . .

Bruce. . .

12. The following 3 users say thank you to BruceTerrill for their reply:

Adam Blyth (19-02-2017), David Stowe (19-02-2017), Richard Jackson (18-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Good discussion guys! I am always open to constructive criticism on my posts. I am here to learn from your comments on my posts as well as from all of your images and comments received. I don't feel I am as experienced as most of you, and certainly no expert so I do not feel I am qualified to too much in the way of critique. However I will make comments on my thoughts of how an image could be improved in my non-expert opinion. Amazing quality in the work presented here and I am enjoying being part of your forum. Feel free to be tough and honest when commenting on my posts, I expect it and can only improve by taking it all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The following 2 users say thank you to Kim Touzel for their reply:

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Great thoughts everyone.
    Yes we all need to not take things too personally. If someone gives their opinion of what they personally like then people need to respect that and not take it as an attack if they think differently. The thing i love most about photography is that we all see differently. If we all took the same photos then it would be boring. Honest feedback about my images has made such a massive difference to my photography over the years.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

16. The following 4 users say thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

James White (19-02-2017), Kim Touzel (19-02-2017), Richard Jackson (20-02-2017), Wilson Lennard (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for raising the topic Richard. It seems that over the years we need to keep re-visiting this issue. Feedback is the very best way to learn. Even when a photo is of excellent quality with little to "criticise", it can be really useful to speculate about alternatives - "what would this look like if...". I think it's important for people to think more broadly about what constructive critique is, especially when so many images are such high quality that many of us are scratching to suggest what "should" be different. Constructive critique can involve being more specific about what you like about an image, or as I said before, just a few what-if questions. I'm thinking very much of your recent up-close Powerful Owl shot, Richard. You didn't need anyone to suggest such a bold crop, but what a great suggestion it would have been had you not posted that way. Such images and suggestions I think not only improve the quality of our images, but open new creative horizons.
    'Birds are beautiful because they are beautiful to themselves' Richard Prum
    My Flickr stream
    My astronomy site Clouds of Magellan Observing Guide

18. The following 4 users say thank you to Patrick Kavanagh for their reply:

James White (19-02-2017), Kim Touzel (19-02-2017), Richard Jackson (20-02-2017), Wilson Lennard (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm here to provide critique & chew bubblegum.. & I'm all out of bubblegum

20. The following 3 users say thank you to Adam Blyth for their reply:

Aravindhan Padmanabhan (16-04-2017), BruceTerrill (20-02-2017), David Stowe (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

From looking at comments about images, it appears that some people just want to acknowledge that they have seen an image which is impressive, others want to say why they like it and others want to offer critique. I know myself, I appreciate it when someone says they like my picture even if they don't say anything more. Yesterday after Chris Martinez had posted a couple of nice images for which I had no critique to offer I wanted to indicate that I thought it was a good shot rather than saying nothing. I then realised that maybe there should be a way of doing both.
    Is there inherently anything wrong with the like button on Facebook ? If F&P had a nice shot button do you think it would encourage people to comment only when they had something more to offer?
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

22. The following user says thank you to Richard Jackson for their reply:

Patrick Kavanagh (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jackson View Post
    From looking at comments about images, it appears that some people just want to acknowledge that they have seen an image which is impressive, others want to say why they like it and others want to offer critique. I know myself, I appreciate it when someone says they like my picture even if they don't say anything more. Yesterday after Chris Martinez had posted a couple of nice images for which I had no critique to offer I wanted to indicate that I thought it was a good shot rather than saying nothing. I then realised that maybe there should be a way of doing both.
    Is there inherently anything wrong with the like button on Facebook ? If F&P had a nice shot button do you think it would encourage people to comment only when they had something more to offer?
    I don't think that we should deliberately steer away from offering praise for an image when we don't have any critique to offer. I think it would be very sad if people simply clicked a like button rather than articulating how much they appreciate an image.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

24. The following 4 users say thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Adam Blyth (20-02-2017), Patrick Kavanagh (20-02-2017), Richard Jackson (20-02-2017), Wilson Lennard (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    I don't think that we should deliberately steer away from offering praise for an image when we don't have any critique to offer. I think it would be very sad if people simply clicked a like button rather than articulating how much they appreciate an image.
    Agree with Dave on this point, not that I wouldn't opt for an 'easy fix', just that in my aging process I find that electronic gadgetry is transforming people so as they don't communicate the same anymore. It's like a mobile phone is more interesting than participating in group conversation if you get my drift.

26. The following 2 users say thank you to Les George for their reply:

Patrick Kavanagh (20-02-2017), Richard Jackson (20-02-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

We have a 'like' button on the model making forum of which I'm a member. It's turned out to be a bit of a pain as some members just hit 'like every time you post anything. I posted what I thought ws an interesting and different view of a cruise ship the other day and got a mass of 'likes' , but no comments, so I really have no idea what people thought. Lets stick with the written comments!

John

28. The following 2 users say thank you to John Laing for their reply:

Richard Jackson (20-02-2017), Warren Wilson (14-04-2017)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah the thank or like functionality is one of those things where you're blessed & cursed.

30. The following 2 users say thank you to Adam Blyth for their reply:

Richard Jackson (20-02-2017), Warren Wilson (14-04-2017)