Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOMEMADE GROUND POD

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default HOMEMADE GROUND POD

Thought this might help a few of you save some money. Instead of paying big bucks for a "Ground pod" from the U.S. I did a quick search of the local op shops (actually I found it in the first shop I went into) and came up with this for a quick fix.
    I knew what shape etc I was looking for so went straight to the lamp section and found a lamp with a suitable base. The one I got cost me $4 and works pretty well. Not as wide as the ones you see from the U.S. but still does the job of keeping the lens etc off the ground when shooting low at the beach or on mud etc.
    Fits nicely in my bag too. Oh, and I was able to re-use the light globe that came with the lamp....waste not, want not
    I just ripped the light stem out of the base and had to do a little bit of sanding to make the hole left over big enough to house my tripod head.
    You don't need a big lens to appreciate a ground pod either, they would be quite useful for smaller lens as well

Below is the lamp base with my tripod head and 600mm f4 attached

Happy op shopping
    [attachment=1:2lfxu7u1]IMG_7958.JPG[/attachment:2lfxu7u1]
    [attachment=0:2lfxu7u1]IMG_7962.JPG[/attachment:2lfxu7u1]

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: HOMEMADE GROUND POD

great work Mr Handyman.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Be interesting to follow up on your experiences using this in the field Paul - I could be wrong but as is it looks too small to be able to slide comfortably along the ground/sand/mud without having to lift it up. Perhaps now you've got your skimmer 'base' sorted, another trip to the op shop for a second hand frying pan to fix it into?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Charleybird
    I could be wrong but as is it looks too small to be able to slide comfortably along the ground/sand/mud without having to lift it up. Perhaps now you've got your skimmer 'base' sorted, another trip to the op shop for a second hand frying pan to fix it into?
    Yes, I was thinking the same. You need a large surface area to slide something like that along.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Was thinking a mid sized smooth plastic dinner plate might be the answer if nailed/screwed on to the current base. With the weight of the 600mm (6kgs...and thats without a camera attached) I don't think I've got much chance of doing anything comfortably let alone sliding along the mud and sand Almost dislocated my shoulder trying to slip between barb wire fence strands the other day while holding the lens/camera out of harms way

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by wingsonwire
    Was thinking a mid sized smooth plastic dinner plate might be the answer if nailed/screwed on to the current base. With the weight of the 600mm (6kgs...and thats without a camera attached) I don't think I've got much chance of doing anything comfortably let alone sliding along the mud and sand Almost dislocated my shoulder trying to slip between barb wire fence strands the other day while holding the lens/camera out of harms way
    ?the weight doesn't matter when you're sliding the thing along the floor, kind of the point
    I still think a small frying pan would be a better option - a sturdier base + a handle to help push things along.
    Be keen to see how you go with this

Karl

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by wingsonwire
    Was thinking a mid sized smooth plastic dinner plate might be the answer ......|
    I can recall, from our WTP outing with Grant, that it weighs a tonne. I would suggest that only a small hovercraft would do the job.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm pretty happy just having the quick release plate etc off the mud/ground now when working low. If the base was any larger I don't think I would be bothered taking it out with me I don't expect to be able to scoot the thing along the ground too easily, was hoping the extra focal length would make up for my lack of pep

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ummm, I think you guys are right. For it to be more useful it will need a bigger base. I think Karls idea about the small frypan will be a winner. I like the idea of the handle to push it forward. I suppose if it is left in the car and it was close by I would be able to use it.
    Thanks for the advice and ideas guys.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm currently in the planning stages of building something like a skimmer pod, without the $100 dollar price tag.

I was thinking a light weight frypan as well (have even seen a homemade using a metal pizza plate) with an elevated base plate so it can slide along without fear of water damage to the kit.

I'll add a post once I get it done as i'm in a homemade photography kit mood at the moment and also have plans something special...won't give it away until I have it made though.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

OOhhhhh, that sounds interesting Lucky. I love homemade solutions to things.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That's quite the innovation, your lens looks very well loved
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yep, its second hand and used to belong to a surf photographer so I'm sure its seen its fair share of hard knocks. I kinda like the way it looks, it has some character. Looks cooler than if it had the newest neoprene cover etc etc. By the way, if you think that the lens looks beaten up....you should see the lens hood

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Wonderful idea Paul. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of making a ground pod myself and you have a great idea here. I think my own modification would be a wider base.. not sure if I can find such a base.

Thanks for this again

E
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    I'm currently in the planning stages of building something like a skimmer pod, without the $100 dollar price tag.

I was thinking a light weight frypan as well (have even seen a homemade using a metal pizza plate) with an elevated base plate so it can slide along without fear of water damage to the kit.

I'll add a post once I get it done as i'm in a homemade photography kit mood at the moment and also have plans something special...won't give it away until I have it made though.
    Am sure looking forwards to your design Lucky. Do keep us posted
    Eric SJ Tan
    Mountains & Beyond