Thread: Wolf Eyes X-Beam torch/spotlight

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Wolf Eyes X-Beam torch/spotlight

Wolf Eyes X-Beam (Red/White LED torch) review.

Attention OWL Photographers!
    Just wanted to share my experiences recently with a new torch/spotlight I bought for nocturnal photography.

I have been on the lookout for a light for owling for some time now. I own a Lightforce handheld spotlight with a red filter which wasn't cheap when I bought it but has been perfect in terms of the light output especially with the red filter. It has been great at enabling auto focus as the red wavelength works perfectly with the AF system which works on the IR spectrum as well as visible spectrum.
    The problems with it though are:
    1. Its big and heavy.
    2. Battery only lasts an hour
    3. Can't take it on a plane because of the lead acid battery.
    I have now found what I believe to be the perfect solution to those problems whilst still performing its main function.
    Its a Wolfeyes X-Beam.
    Its very compact, and robust and best of all it has two LEDs in it - one red and one white, which you can switch by simply flicking the lever on the torch.
    The Red LED is significantly brighter than red filter over a white LED.
    Its not cheap (just over $200 with the Procap) but way cheaper than my Lightforce was and it ticks all the boxes for my intended use. I can get auto focus accurately and quickly and just using the red LED is WAY better for observing Owls in particular although I dare say any nocturnal mammal. In fact can I encourage everyone to use red lights when observing - modern bright white LED really are too bright and you won't get normal behaviour shining one at an owl.

One addition (optional extra) that I bought, was the "Procap". Basically instead of having to keep pressing the On/Off button to cycle through the 6 power/strobe modes before you can turn it off, the Procap enables you to twist the dial to the setting you want and then just press the On/Off button once. Awesome!
    I also bought it with the higher mAh rating battery plus a spare (3400 v 2600)

I should also point out that it has a fairly narrow beam - especially compared to a head torch etc. but not ridiculously focused like some other lights they sell which are designed for shooters with sniper rifles.

https://wolfeyes.com.au/LED-torches-...nting-torches/

Glen from Wolf Eyes has made a special option including the Procap due to our discussions on that link - be sure to select the second option "XBeam RED LED Photography Torches - RED 620nm + Procap - Best for Wildlife Photography and Zoos"

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest whatsoever in the manufacturer besides being super happy and the fact that they are local to me and lovely helpful people. I went to chat with them in person and Glen sat and went through what I was after and we worked out the best solution. Yes I paid full price for my torch. Also I'm just trying to be helpful. If you buy one and don't like it its not my fault

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WolfEyes XBeam.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	54936

Name:	WolfEyes_Procap.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	54937

Here is how I mount the torch for shooting. I have a " C clip from Whitworth Marine screwed into the off camera flash arm on my Mongoose head

Name:	Torch mount_3937.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	54941

Name:	Flash setup.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	54942
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

2. The following 3 users say thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Nick Thompson (11-08-2016), Timothy Paasila (12-08-2016), Vickie Burt (05-11-2016)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Nice write up Dave
    I bit the bullet and bought one after running into Dave a few nights ago.
    I got to see this torch in some owl action and found my E-m1's AF worked brilliant with this light. I was looking at other torches but after seeing this by chance in the field I was so impressed I shot Dave pm to ask him all about it.

4. The following user says thank you to Vas Smilevski for their reply:

David Stowe (11-08-2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

How much did you pay for the trailer to tow that laden rig, David?

A guy I used to work with had previously raved to me about the Wolf Eyes range; I think his torch obsession was even in excess of my own! I might have to start dropping hints for my birthday haha.
    Outside Four Walls... my website, celebrating all things outdoors!

My Flickr collection

6. The following user says thank you to Michael Gooch for their reply:

David Stowe (22-08-2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Having recently been out Owling with someone using a red torch - I assume it was one of these Wolfeyes models, but not 100%; should have asked but didn't think of it at the time Anyway, I did see how a bird lit up with red showed virtually no concern at all, and the photos show a large pupil. When a white light was briefly used on a bird, it did react and cringe a bit (someone had no camera flash so had to take a few shots on white)
    On the website it shows the procap is the same price as a standard; is this a change from when you got yours Dave? So it'd still be the option 2 from their website order page?
    Another thing, how much longer do you get out of a higher capacity as compared to the normal one? As I don't think I'll be getting heavily into night birding - but who knows - I'm not sure whether to take up the option of a second battery.
    Cheers, John Daniels.

Bird species in Aust. photographed since Oct. 2011: 491 Latest: Little Stint. Stockyard Point. Vic 26/6/2017

8. The following user says thank you to John Daniels for their reply:

David Stowe (07-11-2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Guys,
    Firstly let me state that I'm certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade but the $200 approx for the Wolf Eyes, to me, is way too steep.
    I have used LED Lenser lights for ears and they are superbly made and certainly punch well above their weight as far as light quality is concerned.
    Many years ago I was a professional shooter and we used red perspex in front of our lights for vermin shooting, the same idea still applies these days although the retailers expect you to pay an arm and a leg to purchase a 'special red filter' that is still the same perspex that we used years ago. I'm also not trying to compare red perspex to red LED units either, only stating that the perspex is waaay cheaper and that the bird can't tell the difference!
    These days I personally use an LED Lenser P7 ($109) with a little black plastic cap with red perspex "special" filter inside. The P7 comes with 4 X Duracell AA batteries and a lanyard as well as a very sturdy belt pouch. For an extra $20 you can buy the torch in kit form that includes a mounting bracket and remote velcro-backed switch, the same as used by Police, etc., when mounting torches to their firearms. This means that you could mount your new P7 to a flash bracket and simply turn it on/off by just squeezing the flat pressure/switch remote. . .
    For all details you can check out the web, I purchased mine from Aussie Disposals. . .
    For What It's Worth,
    Bruce. . .

BTW, the P7 torch is rated at 300 lumens or 265yds and is easily adjusted from pin spot to full flood with just the push of the front bezel with your thumb. . .
    Last edited by BruceTerrill; 07-11-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: additional info

10. The following user says thank you to BruceTerrill for their reply:

John Daniels (08-11-2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTerrill View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Firstly let me state that I'm certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade but the $200 approx for the Wolf Eyes, to me, is way too steep.
    I have used LED Lenser lights for ears and they are superbly made and certainly punch well above their weight as far as light quality is concerned.
    Many years ago I was a professional shooter and we used red perspex in front of our lights for vermin shooting, the same idea still applies these days although the retailers expect you to pay an arm and a leg to purchase a 'special red filter' that is still the same perspex that we used years ago. I'm also not trying to compare red perspex to red LED units either, only stating that the perspex is waaay cheaper and that the bird can't tell the difference!
    These days I personally use an LED Lenser P7 ($109) with a little black plastic cap with red perspex "special" filter inside. The P7 comes with 4 X Duracell AA batteries and a lanyard as well as a very sturdy belt pouch. For an extra $20 you can buy the torch in kit form that includes a mounting bracket and remote velcro-backed switch, the same as used by Police, etc., when mounting torches to their firearms. This means that you could mount your new P7 to a flash bracket and simply turn it on/off by just squeezing the flat pressure/switch remote. . .
    For all details you can check out the web, I purchased mine from Aussie Disposals. . .
    For What It's Worth,
    Bruce. . .

BTW, the P7 torch is rated at 300 lumens or 265yds and is easily adjusted from pin spot to full flood with just the push of the front bezel with your thumb. . .
    Hi Bruce No rain on anyones parade mate
    Yes its not a cheap torch although compares favourably on that front to my old Lightforce spotlight.
    The XBeam is a lot more powerful than the old P7 too so you can't compare the two on price - especially when it has another LED in it too. Price of the new LED Lenser P7R is over $200 so price wise still in the same ball park.
    I own a LED Lenser or two as well and I agree the quality is great. Arguably better than the Wolf Eyes. However there is simply no comparison to a piece of red perspex over a white LED compared to a dedicated Red LED. White LED has very little red wavelength so you are essentially crippling most of the output with the filter. The birds can't tell the difference perhaps but your cameras auto focus system will in a big way.
    Cheers, Dave

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by John Daniels View Post
    Having recently been out Owling with someone using a red torch - I assume it was one of these Wolfeyes models, but not 100%; should have asked but didn't think of it at the time Anyway, I did see how a bird lit up with red showed virtually no concern at all, and the photos show a large pupil. When a white light was briefly used on a bird, it did react and cringe a bit (someone had no camera flash so had to take a few shots on white)
    On the website it shows the procap is the same price as a standard; is this a change from when you got yours Dave? So it'd still be the option 2 from their website order page?
    Another thing, how much longer do you get out of a higher capacity as compared to the normal one? As I don't think I'll be getting heavily into night birding - but who knows - I'm not sure whether to take up the option of a second battery.
    Hi John,
    Glen from Wolf Eyes made a dedicated wildlife photography option after chatting with him which includes the procap at no extra cost
    So Yes, Option 2
    "XBeam RED LED Photography Torches - RED 620nm + Procap - Best for Wildlife Photography and Zoos"

I'd get a second battery as a spare for sure. probably more valuable doing that rather than the higher rating.
    Cheers, Dave

13. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

John Daniels (08-11-2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi John,

the torch I was using is a Klarus RS11 with their red lens attached. At the time when looking for an owling torch there was nothing I could find on the market
    with Red LEDs powerful enough. I was familiar with using Red LEDs underwater and learned there just how differently wildlife responded, or rather didn't, to
    the red light.

The Klarus torch has been perfect for my needs, its both strong enough for focusing and minimal in its disturbance of nocturnal fauna. The other big bonus of
    this light for me is its ease of mounting to my flash bracket. The torch has the feature of having a UNC 1/4' -20 tripod thread so I can screw it straight to my
    flash bracket. It is very compact and only weighs 200g with battery and filter.

Happy to continue using it and as it is half the price of the Wolf Eye unit I have no reason at this stage to switch. However if I was starting out the Wolf Eye
    would probably be my preferred option as true red light as opposed to red filtered white light is superior for spotlighting provided it is strong enough. With Red
    filtered White light the power needed to focus is easily achieved by the many compact units that are around the 1000 lumen mark. The only real detraction is
    that the filter allows some light in the spectrum other than pure red to leak through which the fauna can pick up, fortunately it is to weak to really bother them.

Be happy to do a night out owling with anyone in Melbourne that has the Wolf Eye for an objective comparison.

Cheers,
    Jim.
    Last edited by James Peake; 10-11-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo

Nikon D500 + Nikon 300mm f2.8 + 1.7x tele + SB700
    Images from Above-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/ and Underwater- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimswims/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for that James Yes, you are the torch owner I was talking about - but wasn't sure if I should have name-dropped or not.....
    Anyway, having seen how relaxed the birds were with a red light in comparison to the white, it is no contest, so a red light is now on the 'to get' list. Had no idea before we were out night birding how good the torch was going to be, so I should have quizzed you more about your setup.

I also noticed how my camera had no problems with picking up focus on a red beam, so that was a relief. My camera seems to hunt a bit on a white light.
    Yes, the price isn't cheap, but if it is a pure red, not a filtered, then that is an advantage. As long as it does a good job out in the field, that's the main consideration for me.

Oh, by the way, did you see any more birds after I left?
    Cheers, John Daniels.

Bird species in Aust. photographed since Oct. 2011: 491 Latest: Little Stint. Stockyard Point. Vic 26/6/2017

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by James Peake View Post
    Hi John,

the torch I was using is a Klarus RS11 with their red lens attached. At the time when looking for an owling torch there was nothing I could find on the market
    with Red LEDs powerful enough. I was familiar with using Red LEDs underwater and learned there just how differently wildlife responded, or rather didn't, to
    the red light.

The Klarus torch has been perfect for my needs, its both strong enough for focusing and minimal in its disturbance of nocturnal fauna. The other big bonus of
    this light for me is its ease of mounting to my flash bracket. The torch has the feature of having a UNC 1/4' -20 tripod thread so I can screw it straight to my
    flash bracket. It is very compact and only weighs 200g with battery and filter.

Happy to continue using it and as it is half the price of the Wolf Eye unit I have no reason at this stage to switch. However if I was starting out the Wolf Eye
    would probably be my preferred option as true red light as opposed to red filtered white light is superior for spotlighting provided it is strong enough. With Red
    filtered White light the power needed to focus is easily achieved by the many compact units that are around the 1000 lumen mark. The only real detraction is
    that the filter allows some light in the spectrum other than pure red to leak through which the fauna can pick up, fortunately it is to weak to really bother them.

Be happy to do a night out owling with anyone in Melbourne that has the Wolf Eye for an objective comparison.

Cheers,
    Jim.

I have the wolf eyes and would be keen to head out. I am a bit of a newbie to night photography though.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by John Daniels View Post
    Thanks for that James Yes, you are the torch owner I was talking about - but wasn't sure if I should have name-dropped or not.....
    Anyway, having seen how relaxed the birds were with a red light in comparison to the white, it is no contest, so a red light is now on the 'to get' list. Had no idea before we were out night birding how good the torch was going to be, so I should have quizzed you more about your setup.

I also noticed how my camera had no problems with picking up focus on a red beam, so that was a relief. My camera seems to hunt a bit on a white light.
    Yes, the price isn't cheap, but if it is a pure red, not a filtered, then that is an advantage. As long as it does a good job out in the field, that's the main consideration for me.

Oh, by the way, did you see any more birds after I left?

The red light works perfectly with the cameras contrast detection. May naturally hunt a bit and lose accuracy if to far away. But that's undesirable anyway.

Decided to call it a night and quit while I was ahead and left soon after you. The drive back was hairy with lots of wombats, wallabies and fox cubs to avoid.
    Was very glad to have some spotlights to use on the deserted drive up to Lower Tarwin.

Cheers,
    Jim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    I have the wolf eyes and would be keen to head out. I am a bit of a newbie to night photography though.
    Hi James,

you have some good locations right near you for a spot of spotlighting. PM me and we can tee something up for maybe next weekend weather permitting.
    Maybe John could join in to compare?

Cheers,
    Jim.

PS: I should mention when spotlighting the way I operate is to use the focus light only for taking the shot. Leading up to that I use a headlamp which is
    also red filtered. My current one is a Fenix HP30.

Nikon D500 + Nikon 300mm f2.8 + 1.7x tele + SB700
    Images from Above-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/ and Underwater- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimswims/

18. The following user says thank you to James Peake for their reply:

John Daniels (11-11-2016)