Thread: Tripod help

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Tripod help

Hey Everyone

I'm thinking of buying a tripod. While its primary use will be for scenery, I would also like the option to use it for wildlife photography. I have been looking at Manfrotto tripods (either aluminium or carbon fibre) but am not sure which head to get.

Im leaning towards ball and socket but most of the ones I've found have added a considerable amount of weight to the tripod. I'm hoping I can carry the tripod on the camera bag so do not want to lug too much around.

I'm looking for some recommendations and suggestions in which direction to look.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
    Neve

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Tripod help

forgot to mention that the lens I use is a 100-400/f4.5-.56L IS USM and camera currently 450D which is 475g. However, I am looking to upgrade to the Canon 7D in the near future...

Just in case anyone would ask about what sort of weight was I looking to support as a maximum.

Cheers
    Neve

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Go for something small but sturdy I think. Manfrotto will be fine, they are a good brand. That setup is not too heavy so something in a medium range tripod will suit you

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Neve, I'd suggest you try any head before you buy, the cheaper ones can do annoying things like sag a little when you let go after locking down or have stiction making fine positioning difficult. You could start looking at the manfrotto heads, however I don't like their quick release system, with your long lens the lens can twist on the plate and loosen.

You didn't mention budget and that can make a difference. If you only want to buy the head once you should look at Really right stuff, their heads are very well made and come with Arca Swiss style quick release. If you are doing landscape an L plate will be a big convenience and you can only do that with an Arca style quick release. If you feel the Really Right Stuff is too much you can always buy one of their quick release clamps to fit to a different ball head.

Have a look at this ball head: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Customk ... o%2DII&eq=

Here's a 7D L-plate: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdes ... %2D001&Tp=

And why custom plates are better: http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/04.html

And choice of quick release plate here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/03.html

Delivery is quite quick via mail order, I ordered a quick release clamp and it arrived in les than a week.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thanks for your suggestions guys. will take them on board.

Chris, budget wise, I'm looking at approximately AUD $700

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ok, then I would suggest a set of manfrotto 055 legs, not as light as carbon fibre or quite as stiff but at about $260 vs $600 they are quite good value. You may even get away with the next size down but they probably won't be as tall. Madsen's seem to have them at quite good prices currently:

http://www.madsens.com.au/new/manfrotto ... mf_tripods

You should be able to pick up an BH40 with a plate for your camera and squeak in a bit over $700 in total. If you have a 100-400 and landscape lenses you'll probably want a plate for each so that will be a little more. The BH40 is $US356 and plates go for about $US50 +- then postage as well. The exchange rate will be key to the final price.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages